Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goatfarmer98
    • Apr 2015

replacement solar energy panel

Introduction: First time visitor. Retired Navy Corpsman having proudly served half of my career with the “Corps.” Not much of a goat farmer these days as not enough time to irritate politicians and raise goats at the same time.
    I am also not electrical savvy so be gentle!

I have a Flojet Model 2100-738, DC, 7.0 Amp, 12 V http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/FlojetPumps/02100-738.pdf at one time was powered by a couple of small now very corroded panels . I need to replace the energy source.

The system is to heat an outdoor hot tub using an existing 4’x8’ roof-mounted solar water panel. Everything worked great until the tub went unused for 3 or 4 years. Now, the best as I can tell there is no power to the pump and looking at the panels I suspect they are the problem.

Per the pump specs doc, the current for the 12 V is “8.0 amp max.”

Okay here are my questions – yes, honestly these are legitimate questions. Inasmuch as there is nearly 40’ of cable from the panel directly wired to the pump, will I lose power between the two, which may necessitate getting a panel greater than 8 amps?

Will someone offer an example of a solar panel that will provide for my needs? The wife now wants to use the tub, I do not want to pay the power to heat it, and I am losing the discussion.

Thanks,
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by goatfarmer98
    Will someone offer an example of a solar panel that will provide for my needs? The wife now wants to use the tub, I do not want to pay the power to heat it, and I am losing the discussion.

Thanks,
    I'd get a small DC power supply that can power the pump - or replace the pump with a small AC one.
    IMO that's the quickest way to make your wife happy.

Comment

• Amy@altE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Can you read any details on the back of the old panels? If not, what are the dimensions? Probably a couple of ~75W panels wired in parallel?
      Solar Queen
      altE Store

Comment

• goatfarmer98
        • Apr 2015

Amy, there was some printing on the back of two of the three. The third is secured to the roof. I'll check the two and let you know tomorrow. Thanks.

Originally posted by Amy@altE
        Can you read any details on the back of the old panels? If not, what are the dimensions? Probably a couple of ~75W panels wired in parallel?

Comment

• goatfarmer98
          • Apr 2015

Ms. Solar, Here are two pics of the panels. As you can see in the one - all three are way passed being serviceable. The other is the backside of the ARCO thin film panels. Hopefully, these will be of help to you. Thank you VERY much for your assistance.

Attached Files

Comment

• Amy@altE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Arco, those are some old panels! It's probably most cost effective to just replace them all with 1 120W panel. That should be big enough for the pump. but small enough to not exceed the 8A max.
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

• goatfarmer98
              • Apr 2015

Ms. Solar, Any additional specs of the panel other than 120W, 12V, 8A? I read in another SolarPanelTalk post that high efficiency panels are higher priced for their generally smaller size. Do you agree? Thanks.

Arco, those are some old panels! It's probably most cost effective to just replace them all with 1 120W panel. That should be big enough for the pump. but small enough to not exceed the 8A max.

Comment

• Amy@altE
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

You don't need to worry about efficiency for this project. You've got plenty of space. Higher efficiency in panels just means it is a little smaller than a low efficiency panel. Not worth paying extra for, and you probably can't find one in that size anyways.
                Just look for a 12V nominal panel (the Voc will be about 22V) that is rated at about 120W. Or 2 that are 60W, and wire them in parallel.
                Solar Queen
                altE Store

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by goatfarmer98
                  Ms. Solar, Any additional specs of the panel other than 120W, 12V, 8A? I read in another SolarPanelTalk post that high efficiency panels are higher priced for their generally smaller size. Do you agree? Thanks.
                  That only makes a difference if you are limited for space.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• goatfarmer98
                    • Apr 2015

Thanks Ms. Solar,
                    In my intro I didnt brag about my electrical ability or knowledge. What is "Voc?" Panels without installation are difficult to come by in Alabama. Without being too specific might you point me to a southeastern city or provide a couple of retailers selling components, such as this panel. If violating posting rules - might you email me at frank at frankdillamn.com
                    Thanks.

You don't need to worry about efficiency for this project. You've got plenty of space. Higher efficiency in panels just means it is a little smaller than a low efficiency panel. Not worth paying extra for, and you probably can't find one in that size anyways.
                    Just look for a 12V nominal panel (the Voc will be about 22V) that is rated at about 120W. Or 2 that are 60W, and wire them in parallel.
                    Last edited by russ; 04-23-2015, 01:50 PM. Reason: broke link in email address

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Just use search - should show you many panels for sale
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Amy@altE
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

Voc is Open Circuit Voltage, it's one of the specs you'll see when selecting the panel. Most likely, it will just say it's a 12V panel, and that's enough info.

This forum is hosted by Solar Reviews. altE Store is listed on there, http://www.solarreviews.com/solar-di...rs/alte-store/ You can find our site, and other retailers from there.
                        Solar Queen
                        altE Store

Comment

• patriotdirect
                          • Jun 2015

heat your pool whit a solar power energy

nice project, i like it, here you can find how to heat your pool whit a solar power energy httpsCOLON//www.patriotdirectDOTorg/how-to-heat-a-pool-with-solar-energy/

---Mod Note: some good advice on a site with a lot of advertising.
                          I will let this post stand, but with link converted to unclickable.
                          No endorsement of the site implied.
                          Last edited by inetdog; 07-12-2015, 12:52 PM.
                          [url]https://www.patriotdirect.org[/url]

Comment

• goatfarmer98
                            • Apr 2015

To all - thank you

UPDATE: my system complete with new panel, thank you Amy, and a new PPT12/24-10 from John Drake II is working great. Currently the bubblers are on to COOL the water down from its 120 F degrees.

Comment

Working...