water pump system (simple)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump system (simple)

Hi there, I won't make this topic long but I am trying to design a PV system but I have too many loopholes in my knowledge as most of the instructions use different techniques.

Firstly, I need a daily amount of at least 900 litres lifted through a 15m TDH(including frictional losses). I tried to measure the flow rate required comparing it to the sun peak hours. Here is what I did.

In order to find the energy required by the pump I did: (Volume req per day *TDH*g*density of water)/3.6*10^6). Then to find the power for solar array (E/sunpeakhr*F*E).

When I do this calculation I have values which I cannot even deal with(values too small). Though I did find out it requires around 20W (somehow) looking through some performance curves of pumps but is there any other way to find the power used by the pump?

Secondly, if the power is found how do I size my array to fit that power accordingly? Any simplistic equations that I am missing?

If anyone can help me out I shall send you a lot of love and peace. Thanks!

TLDR(please read if you can): how to find power ratings for pump using calculations and solar array sizing to fit it.

-friend in need of help

EDIT: water source is through mains. thanks!

This may not be the most scientific method, but I'd find a pump that would do what you are trying to do, and then see what the pump's requirements are.

900 liters a day with 15m head. http://www.convertunits.com/from/PSI/to/meter+of+head helps me convert head to PSI, 15m gives me 21PSI.

At 20PSI, a Shurflo 2088-443-144 can do 10L a minute at 20PSI. That's 900L in 90 minutes. The pump needs 7A @ 12V to do that. Probably a 140W 12V panel. http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/new_...8-443-144.html
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
      This may not be the most scientific method, but I'd find a pump that would do what you are trying to do, and then see what the pump's requirements are.

900 liters a day with 15m head. http://www.convertunits.com/from/PSI/to/meter+of+head helps me convert head to PSI, 15m gives me 21PSI.

At 20PSI, a Shurflo 2088-443-144 can do 10L a minute at 20PSI. That's 900L in 90 minutes. The pump needs 7A @ 12V to do that. Probably a 140W 12V panel. http://legacy.shurflo.com/pages/new_...8-443-144.html
      Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to have a rough idea of calculating required power theoritically. Also if i use that pump, how would i go about the solar size array(in terms of area)?
      Could you just briefly give me few calculations i would require in order to do this whole setup.
      Thanks

Comment

The specs of the pump tell you what voltage and amps it requires. You match the panel to that.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
          The specs of the pump tell you what voltage and amps it requires. You match the panel to that.
          I appreciate the help and I am really sorry to bother you again. Could you please give me an example of how the sizings (m^2) are determined. And again I am really not that good with these stuffs, just trying to help someone out.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by f00tballfever View Post
            Hi there, I won't make this topic long but I am trying to design a PV system but I have too many loopholes in my knowledge as most of the instructions use different techniques.

Firstly, I need a daily amount of at least 900 litres lifted through a 15m TDH(including frictional losses). I tried to measure the flow rate required comparing it to the sun peak hours. Here is what I did.

EDIT: water source is through mains. thanks!
            If you have mains water why do you need to pump it?

As calculated the pressure you need to pump 15m is 21psi which is less than what poor mains pressure would be.

Comment

Working...
            X