Advice needed re Solar panel covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed re Solar panel covers?

We live in Portugal and have 2 flat solar panels on our roof for heating water, closed loop, however, we have to return to England in a few months and the house in Portugal will only be a family holiday home from then on. It is possible there will be no one staying at the house for 2-3 months at a time, sometimes in the hotter months so there will be no hot water usage. Plus we do not want to leave the electricity switched on when no one is staying there but we are concerned this may damage the system.
    As it is not ideal for people to go on the roof to uncover/cover the solar panels when they visit the house I wondered if we could use some kind of powered shutters to cover the panels stopping as much light as possible to the panels and preventing overheating/damage.
    Is this feasible?
    Does anyone know if something like this is available anywhere (I can't find anything on the internet)?
    Any other solutions?

Thanks.

Is the system pressurized? If so install a heat dump zone.
    Or convert to a drain back system if possible.

Comment

I can see it being done but could be expensive. Modifying a rollup gararge door might be possible. I feel on of the bigger problems might be keeping the electronics dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
        I can see it being done but could be expensive. Modifying a rollup gararge door might be possible. I feel on of the bigger problems might be keeping the electronics dry.

Converting to a drainback system may not be as expensive as what amounts to a small roll up garage door. The added complexity may well be less for the drainback system.

Cheap, effective, easy way out if panels are accessible: Corrugated opaque fiberglass roof panels and bungee chords applied and removed by whoever does the maint. on the prop.

Comment

Working...
        X