Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aregister
    • Apr 2015

Help with Inverter for solar field

We are starting the process of building a solar field on a 14 acre piece of property we own. My husband and his partner plan on doing the project on our own since they are very well connected and one's an engineer and the other an electrical contractor. My job is "researcher" and I'm just starting out... so forgive my ignorance if I say something that doesn't make sense

So far I'm good on our county and state requirements and interconnection policy. I have a good start on panels and how to read their specs but inverters are stumping me. first I'm weighing out whether to go with micro-inverters or a central. and then what size will be needed.

The lot is about 14 acres and we are wanting to do a 2mw system. I'm not sure yet exacty what size panels we will use and I know that will have some effect but can someone please help or at least give me some good links that will. Any advice or help would be appreciated!! Thanks
  • thejq
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by aregister
    The lot is about 14 acres and we are wanting to do a 2mw system. I'm not sure yet exacty what size panels we will use and I know that will have some effect but can someone please help or at least give me some good links that will. Any advice or help would be appreciated!! Thanks
    Did you just say 2 mega watt system? It's about 3 orders of magnitude of what people normally see on this forum.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• aregister
      • Apr 2015

yes..2000 kw/2mw.

is it usually referred to in Kw??

Comment

• thejq
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

yes..2000 kw/2mw.

is it usually referred to in Kw??
        No, you're OK. I just want to be sure of the system size you're asking, because it's so much larger than the average size discussed here. It's well into the commercial solar generation realm. Hopefully someone with that kind of experience can help you out -- definitely not me.
        16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

You will loose your shirt. That would be Co-Generation and you have a whole different set of rules to play by. Have you done your environmental Impact Studies yet, presented it to the public?

It will require permits and contracts with the local utilities for the inter-connect. When the utility needs power, they only pay wholesale prices and the winner is the lowest bidder on open markets.

They also require a full time staff and plant operator. A 2 Mw system would not even pay their salaries. Depending on where you live a 2 Mw plant only generates roughly 4 to 8 Mwh per day or $160 to $320 per day. That is not enough to even pay 1 person.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Amy@altE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

I won't get into the economics of this, I'm hoping you have worked that out with the utility company. As far as inverters, it does not make sense to use microinverters in a utility scale system. There are utility grade inverters available, for instance Solectria makes 500kW to 1.5MW inverters. http://www.solectria.com/products/gr...ale-inverters/
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Amy@altE
              I won't get into the economics of this, I'm hoping you have worked that out with the utility company. As far as inverters, it does not make sense to use microinverters in a utility scale system. There are utility grade inverters available, for instance Solectria makes 500kW to 1.5MW inverters. http://www.solectria.com/products/gr...ale-inverters/
              Well he needs a PE to design and sign off and Stamp the project. The PE will know what is needed and called out for in the specs. I will be more than happy to do do a design/build for $1 million dollar fee after he spends the years and money battling court and environmental studies.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Amy@altE
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

I agree 100% that they will need a PE. As for years of battles, that depends where they are. A 3.75MW system is going in across the street from my house, and there was little to no resistance, it seemed to breeze right through the permitting process.
                Solar Queen
                altE Store

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Amy@altE
                  I agree 100% that they will need a PE. As for years of battles, that depends where they are. A 3.75MW system is going in across the street from my house, and there was little to no resistance, it seemed to breeze right through the permitting process.
                  Permits are the easy part, but zoning and EPA is another story. If someone tried to build something like that near my home, I would have them in courts and city counsel for years while I obstruct everything they do. Starting with a very expensive Environmental Impact Study which will take a few years and a whole lot of money. I would bankrupt them before they could put a shovel in the ground. All those poor little rabbits and turtles they will kill and displace. .
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Beina
                    • Apr 2015

What does an engineer and a non solar contractor know about photovoltaics.

You honestly think it's as simple as selecting panels, inverters and knowing a couple if regs? So naive.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Well he needs a PE to design and sign off and Stamp the project. The PE will know what is needed and called out for in the specs. I will be more than happy to do do a design/build for $1 million dollar fee after he spends the years and money battling court and environmental studies.
                      For a piece of that, I'll come out of retirement, get relicensed and do the mechanical/structural end as needed.

Comment

• aregister
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Beina
                        What does an engineer and a non solar contractor know about photovoltaics.

You honestly think it's as simple as selecting panels, inverters and knowing a couple if regs? So naive.
                        Wow!..I've been apart of another forum having to do with a business I am in and have gained and given so much assistance. Even through differences of opinions comments have not been rude. Everyone had to start somewhere and I'm not foolish enough to think this is simple!

You assume those are the only things that we know..which only shows you are very uninformed of our situation. To try to appear so intelligent...you show that you are both ignorant and juvenile. But that's ok...I'm a big girl and it's not hard to spot an idiot! Pathetic!

for those who had constructive input..thank you...for the rest...you can have your simple opinions and your unhelpful little forum!

Comment

• Panelmal
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2014

Everyone had to start somewhere and I'm not foolish enough to think this is simple!!
                          And no one starts with a solar farm... You were the one thinking about using micro inverters. That bit of information alone told everyone how out of your league you are. Stick to collecting beanie babies or whatever your other business that you are so helpful and knowledgable in is.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Wow!..I've been apart of another forum having to do with a business I am in and have gained and given so much assistance. Even through differences of opinions comments have not been rude. Everyone had to start somewhere and I'm not foolish enough to think this is simple!

You assume those are the only things that we know..which only shows you are very uninformed of our situation. To try to appear so intelligent...you show that you are both ignorant and juvenile. But that's ok...I'm a big girl and it's not hard to spot an idiot! Pathetic!

for those who had constructive input..thank you...for the rest...you can have your simple opinions and your unhelpful little forum!
                            She doesn't get the answer she wants so she whines? You are the juvenile deary!
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• foo1bar
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by russ
                              She doesn't get the answer she wants so she whines? You are the juvenile deary!
                              I think pointing out there are posters who are rude and aren't contributing to the conversation isn't unreasonable

What's really sad is the moderators on this forum don't do anything about those posters.

FWIW the inverters for that scale are different set than what's used for residential. I see a 500kW inverter on renvu.com - And it's only $77K. I'm sure there are others as well, but frankly I don't know how you would find vendors for utility scale / commercial scale inverters.

The economics are certainly challenging.... my guesstimate is it's probably $4M or more of investment and if it's paying $.04 or $.05/kwh, that's likely only $150K/year. (Yet I see them getting built, so there must be a way to make the economics work)

Comment

Working...