Newby needs help with choosing batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby needs help with choosing batteries

Someone local to me is selling 10 of these batteries for $50 12 Volt 9 Amp Hours Length 5.94 Width 2.55 Height 3.7 Terminals F2 Weight (6.5) Manufacturer CSB Model # CSB HRL1234WF2FR 12V 9AH CSB Battery
    I was wondering if these would be good to use as a battery bank for a solar set up for a really small trailer (6'x5') I have not bought anything for a solar set up but I was looking at Xantrex PROwatt 600 SW true sine wave Inverter , Sunforce 60031 10 Amp Digital Charge Controller and a RENOGY 100 Watt 100w Monocrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module 12V Battery Charging
    would these batteries work with this set up since there are 10 of them ? I plan I running led lights two fans a small 2 watt water pump and maybe a couple of other accessories through the power inverter any recommendations for this set up would be amazing !!!! Thank you so much for any help you can provide .
    P.S. I'm new to this forum so if I posted this in the wrong location please let me know where to post it .

Easy Peazy answer.

NO
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Easy Peazy answer.

NO
      Can you explain why? Are these not good batteries to use or just not big enough for my application? I thought because I will connect 10 of them it might make them powerful enough .

Comment

too small, too many interconnections, wrong application for battery. Don't buy them, unless you have a way to cash them in for the scarp value of the lead.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

What do you mean Too many interconnections ? Isnt having multiple batteries ok to do ? And I thought ups batteries are good for solar applications? Can you recommend a good batter for this exact set up (solar panel and charge controller listed above ?

Comment

Nothing about your design will work. In a proper design you only use a single string of batteries. In your application a single battery of appropriate size.

A 100 Watt panel if using a cheap PWM 10 amp controller can only support a single 60 AH battery powering a 50 to 75 watt Inverter.

To power a 600 watt inverter will require roughly a panel wattage of 600 watts with a 50 Amp MPPT charge controller, and a 12 volt 400 AH battery. What you are trying to do is pull a 18 wheel truck with a motorcycle.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Ok I will get a bigger charge controller but the thing about needing a 600 watt solar panel in order to use a 600 watt power inverter makes absolutely no sense to me cause I have seen people run 600 watt or bigger power inverters with solar panels much smaller than 600 watts and please remember I'm completely new to this and honestly your replies seem kind of rude if this is what people are like to new members on this forum maybe I should just try a different forum out

Comment

Originally posted by Jessejames801 View Post
                I have seen people run 600 watt or bigger power inverters with solar panels much smaller than 600 watts
                Sure you will, but that does n ot make it right. You can get away with it as long as you never use the full power. The issue is in both battery AH capacity and panel wattage. There are directly related.

Batteries have internal resistance. The smaller the battery the higher the resistance. This limits the battery ability to deliver current at a specified voltage. For flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries the maximum charge and discharge current is C/8 where C = the battery Amp Hour capacity and the number 8 is 8 hour discharge rate. So if you have say a 60 AH battery the maximum current you can pull out of it without significant voltage sag is 60 AH / 8 H = 7.5 amps. Well 12 volts x 7.5 amps = 90 watts.

Physically a 60 AH battery can deliver 50 amps which is what a 600 watt inverter will draw at full power. However the voltage will sag significantly say down to 10 or 11 volts. The Inverter has circuitry inside it called Low Voltage Disconnect designed to turn the invert off when the voltage goes down to 10 or 11 volts. So you can easily have a fully charged battery, turn the Inverter on and apply a 500 to 600 watt load, and the Inverter trips off-line from under voltage. That would lead you to think there is something wrong, when in fact it is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The real problem is Operator Error.

Batteries also have a minimum and maximum charge rate they can accept. The minimum is C/12 which is needed to prevent the electrolyte from stratifying where the heavier acid sinks to the bottom of the battery jar and floats the water on top. It takes a C/12 current to stir and agitate the electrolyte. C/8 is the upper limit to prevent excessive gassing, heating, and warping the battery plates. Using the 60 AH battery model again means you need at least 5 amps of charge current and no more than 7.5 amps, just call it 8 amps. Well if you use a PWM charger it requires a panel wattage of 90 watts to generate 5 amps of current, or 144 watts to generate 8 amps.

Note the relationship. Panel Wattage roughly = Inverter wattage is you have the system balanced.

honestly your replies seem kind of rude if this is what people are like to new members on this forum maybe I should just try a different forum out

OK you got thin skin. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. Try the Wind and Sun Forum. They sugar coat everything over there and treat you like a customer because that is what you are. They will tell you exactly what you want to hear then sell it to you. Around here you get answers and no one will sell you anything.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Someone local to me is selling 10 of these batteries for $50 12 Volt 9 Amp Hours Length 5.94 Width 2.55 Height 3.7 Terminals F2 Weight (6.5) Manufacturer CSB Model # CSB HRL1234WF2FR 12V 9AH CSB Battery
                  I was wondering if these would be good to use as a battery bank for a solar set up for a really small trailer (6'x5') I have not bought anything for a solar set up but I was looking at Xantrex PROwatt 600 SW true sine wave Inverter , Sunforce 60031 10 Amp Digital Charge Controller and a RENOGY 100 Watt 100w Monocrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module 12V Battery Charging
                  would these batteries work with this set up since there are 10 of them ? I plan I running led lights two fans a small 2 watt water pump and maybe a couple of other accessories through the power inverter any recommendations for this set up would be amazing !!!! Thank you so much for any help you can provide .
                  P.S. I'm new to this forum so if I posted this in the wrong location please let me know where to post it .
                  Save your money and don't buy those 9Ah batteries, that 10amp CC or just one 100Watt panel. None of them will give you what you desire.

Now that 600 watt Xantrex inverter is a good piece of equipment but will it provide what you need?

Have you calculated your daily watt hour load? That is the first thing to do before you purchase anything else. Just saying "led lights, 2 fans and a 2 watt pump" is not enough data to calculate what you need. Each item uses an amount of "watts" and will be run for an amount of "hours". Calculate that for each load and then add them up. Then add a fudge factor because you will have underestimated the correct amount of "watt hours" needed.

Once you know what you need in watt hours you can then design your battery system. Depending on where you live will help with the panel wattage and charge controller. Then you look at sizing your inverter.

As Sunking stated, a solar battery system needs to be balanced. That means panel wattage, battery charger, battery Ah rating and inverter need to match up or you will quickly find the weakest link.

Comment

Is this a fiamm 12flx400 100ah 415wpc high rate ups standby battery a good battery to use with the 100 watt solar panel listed above ?

Comment

Is this a fiamm 12flx400 100ah 415wpc high rate ups standby battery a good battery to use with the 100 watt solar panel listed above ?
                      Most UPS "standby" batteries are not designed to be cycled on a daily basis. A solar battery needs to be listed as "Deep Cycle" and have a reliable 20hour Ah rating and will also provide you with an estimated amount of "cycles" at a specific DOD (depth of discharge). If it has a cranking or standby rating it is not what you want to use.

Comment

So with a 100 watt panel what minimal ratings specs should I look for in a deep cycle battery be and what kind of places should I look to find this battery I want to buy local because shipping is way too much for a battery p.s. I'm located in Utah

Comment

Thank you sun eagle I really appreciate your help !

Comment

So with a 100 watt panel what minimal ratings specs should I look for in a deep cycle battery be and what kind of places should I look to find this battery I want to buy local because shipping is way too much for a battery p.s. I'm located in Utah
                            A 100 watt panel can produce a maximum of 5.5amps. So to keep the battery within the C/8 to C/12 range would require something between 44 to 66Ah. You can probably find a number of places that sell 50Ah 12volt batteries in Utah.

Comment

What I'll be running is actually just one fan that says it uses 0.75 amps unfortunately it doesn't say how many watts and a pump that uses 3watts and a led light that uses 10watts I thought about installing a 9" tv/dvd player but I haven't decided if I want to do that yet but the other 3 items I will be running for sure . I thought a single 100 watt panel would be enough to run those if I got a decent 100watt solar panel,battery, and charge controller am I wrong ?

Comment

Working...
                              X