Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubling smaller wire to increase the ampacity

Greetings all.

I know it isn't ideal, but I wanted to ask your thoughts regarding doubling DC power cables to increase the ampacity.

This would only be used for my battery jumpers. I currently run 2/0 ga for all my battery runs but am upgrading from 2 x 6V to 4 x 6V. Seeing as how I already have some from another project and to save a bit of $$ I wanted to double up 2 x 2 ga for the 4 inter-battery connections. Each of these would be approx. 12".

Good idea or no? Safe?

Thanks -Rob-

Why not put the batteries in series, and go to a 24 vdc system? doubles the power without increasing amps. Many good charge controllers and inverters auto select between 12 v and 24 v.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Can a single cable handle the load if one goes bad? If not then you've set yourself up for a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
        Why not put the batteries in series, and go to a 24 vdc system? doubles the power without increasing amps. Many good charge controllers and inverters auto select between 12 v and 24 v.
        Unfortunately my inverter won't do 24V (Magnum Prosine 2012) Also 24V would fry most of my DC electronics. This is in a 5th wheel trailer BTW.

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
        Can a single cable handle the load if one goes bad? If not then you've set yourself up for a disaster.

It should handle it but will undoubtedly cause some V drop and will get a bit warm. The heavy loads tend to be very intermittent and of short duration.
        I don't intend this to be a permanent solution; just until I can get some proper cables made up.

-Rob-

Comment

Working...
        X