Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wantons0up
    • Aug 2013

Review my estimate please, ready to buy

I'm buying the system outright, and getting the Fed rebate (no local utility rebate for me I'm afraid) I'm in Colorado on a bit of land and have asphalt-coated aluminum shingles, a bit strange and we're going with ground-mount to avoid any holes in it! So this will be on the ground 20 ft from the house, shouldn't have any shade ever.

9.9 kW system in a ground-mounted array 12 modules x 3 modules:

PV Modules: 36 x Solar World Mono Black 275W
    Inverter: SMA SB9000-TL-US

$44,000 Installed (before tax, rebates)

I was also offered an option to use Solar Edge DC Optimizers for another $3k.

What do you think? Reasonable price? Good equipment? Thanks for your input.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wantons0up
    I'm in Colorado on a bit of land and have asphalt-coated aluminum shingles, a bit strange and we're going with ground-mount to avoid any holes in it! So this will be on the ground 20 ft from the house, shouldn't have any shade ever.

9.81 kW system in a ground-mounted array 10 modules x 3 modules:

PV Modules: 30 x Sunpower E20 327W
    Inverter: SMA 4000TL-US-22 + 5000TL-US-22

$53,130 Installed (before tax, rebates)

I know Sunpower are a little higher in price (I also got a quote with Solar World panels for $9k less) but I do like the warranty and the modicum of efficiency gain you're supposed to get with them. I was also offered an option to use Solar Edge DC Optimizers for another $3k.

What do you think? Reasonable price? Good equipment? Thanks for your input.
    Since you ask:

Suit yourself. Just walk in with your eyes and mind open and consider the following:

Unless you are cramped for space, Sunpower is usually overpriced by about 20% or so higher than other good equipment. A 9.81 kW system using reputable equipment, S.P. or not, will give about the same annual output. A 5% or so premium may be justifiable for the lower annusl S.P. degradation, probably not much more. The "most efficient" part of the S.P. hype refers to area efficiency - a smaller footprint - that's about it. Sounds like that's not a consideration for your ground mount. The "extra" warranty is probably overkill - sort of like an extended warranty you don't need and don't get to decline.

Comment

• wantons0up
      • Aug 2013

Everything you've said makes sense. I just updated my post to show the other estimate I received - would you mind taking a look and giving me your thoughts on this setup?

Comment

• wantons0up
        • Aug 2013

Any input on the setup I've posted? Thanks in advance

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Any input on the setup I've posted? Thanks in advance
          Annual usage ? Estimated annual output ? Utility rates ?

Input : Sunpower's overpriced for what you get.

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Equipment looks fine, if there is no shade, the extra 3k for SolarEdge probably isn't buying you anything except the neat-o factor of panel level data ... ground mount quotes are fairly site specific, so it is hard to say how competitive the price is. Have you gotten other quotes?
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• wantons0up
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.
              Annual usage ? Estimated annual output ? Utility rates ?

Input : Sunpower's overpriced for what you get.
              Agreed on the Sunpower, I posted a SolarWorld panel quote that's much lower in cost.
              I'm limited to 10 kW system to get net metering so frankly my rates and usage don't really matter, honestly. I'll be sending some juice back to the utility during they day and drawing it back out at night.

Originally posted by sensij
              Equipment looks fine, if there is no shade, the extra 3k for SolarEdge probably isn't buying you anything except the neat-o factor of panel level data ... ground mount quotes are fairly site specific, so it is hard to say how competitive the price is. Have you gotten other quotes?
              Thanks - that's really what I'm after, to know if this is good equipment and not stuff to avoid. Thanks for the input on the DC Optimizer - I wasn't sure about that.

I'm getting another estimate or two - it's been a struggle finding companies that do ground mount but I'm hoping to get another quote or two before deciding. I don't know where to look for reputable companies! I've done Angies List and Yelp but not a ton in my area unfortunately.

Comment

• solar pete
                Administrator
                • May 2014

Agreed on the Sunpower, I posted a SolarWorld panel quote that's much lower in cost.
                I'm limited to 10 kW system to get net metering so frankly my rates and usage don't really matter, honestly. I'll be sending some juice back to the utility during they day and drawing it back out at night.

Thanks - that's really what I'm after, to know if this is good equipment and not stuff to avoid. Thanks for the input on the DC Optimizer - I wasn't sure about that.

I'm getting another estimate or two - it's been a struggle finding companies that do ground mount but I'm hoping to get another quote or two before deciding. I don't know where to look for reputable companies! I've done Angies List and Yelp but not a ton in my area unfortunately.
                Hi wantonsOup,

Have you tried our site sponsor www.solarreviews.com just enter your zip code into the search and see what pops up, cheers.

Comment

• wantons0up
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solar pete
                  Hi wantonsOup,

Have you tried our site sponsor www.solarreviews.com just enter your zip code into the search and see what pops up, cheers.
                  Thanks - looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

I just ran PVWATTS against this installed price and I'm looking at a 14+ year break even point! YIKES. That's depressing. Hopefully I can get a less expensive estimate.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Whether you know it or not, and contrary to what you write, your usage and what you pay for it matters great deal.

Comment

• wantons0up
                      • Aug 2013

OK I know that, my point was I am not asking for an assessment of what size system to buy. My total annual usage is about 20,000 kWh. With the net metering rules set by my utility I can get up to a 10 kW system, using PV Watts I should generate about 15500 kWh / year. So I'm already pricing out as close to 10 kW as I can, which is not enough to get me "off the grid" so for the purposes of this thread, reviewing the equipment and pricing I was provided in an estimate, it's not entirely relevant that I use 20,000 kWh at $0.123/kWh. It's relevant in so far as my break even point is 15 years down the road and solar might not be cheap enough to be worth it for me, yes, but not relevant to whether the equipment is good and the pricing is fair and reasonable. Hope that makes sense - I'm not trying to say I know more than you on this matter, I clearly done.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

OK I know that, my point was I am not asking for an assessment of what size system to buy. My total annual usage is about 20,000 kWh. With the net metering rules set by my utility I can get up to a 10 kW system, using PV Watts I should generate about 15500 kWh / year. So I'm already pricing out as close to 10 kW as I can, which is not enough to get me "off the grid" so for the purposes of this thread, reviewing the equipment and pricing I was provided in an estimate, it's not entirely relevant that I use 20,000 kWh at $0.123/kWh. It's relevant in so far as my break even point is 15 years down the road and solar might not be cheap enough to be worth it for me, yes, but not relevant to whether the equipment is good and the pricing is fair and reasonable. Hope that makes sense - I'm not trying to say I know more than you on this matter, I clearly done.
                        As you wish. Economic priorities and ways to look at them are a matter of preference. I'm not sure I'd pay $44K to save about $1,900/yr. [(15,500 kWh)*($.123/kWh)]. There may be better ways to invest the money and keep the principal intact.

Comment

• wantons0up
                          • Aug 2013

Well, $30k after the tax credit, but I don't disagree. It's a long payback.

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

Those "grow lights" use lots of power... .eh?

Comment

• silversaver
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

solar is not for everyone, but it has to make sense $$$ wise.

Comment

Working...