Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wantons0up
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Alisobob
    Those "grow lights" use lots of power... .eh?
    I'm betting it's a lot more expensive to grow it than buy it around here, with shops on almost every corner. Alas I have little kids so that part of my life is over for a while

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Comment

• roadrnnr
        • Apr 2015

I'm new also and have this estimate from our local solar company which seems inline and I plan on paying off the loan in 4 years or so.

We get the credit of 5 cents over what we buy a KW for when we sell it back to the grid for 10 years here.

Comparing to some of the estimates I am seeing on here does this really look good or am I missing something.

Just found this site so am trying to digest it all.

One big ? I have is how come the system size is always smaller than the production estmate?

Scan.jpg

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by roadrnnr

One big ? I have is how come the system size is always smaller than the production estmate?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6225[/ATTACH]
          The systems are sized in DC Watts, while the output is quoted in AC Watts. The difference is the energy lost in the conversion.

The part I dont get is you are currently paying $145 a month, for 10,000 KWh's per year.

The system payment is $123 per year, estimated to meet 58% of your needs, while delivering a $103 month credit to your power provider.

Funky math....

$4.70 per watt is also pretty steep.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

The systems are sized in DC Watts, while the output is quoted in AC Watts. The difference is the energy lost in the conversion.

The part I dont get is you are currently paying $145 a month, for 10,000 KWh's per year.

The system payment is $123 per year, estimated to meet 58% of your needs, while delivering a $103 month credit to your power provider.

Funky math....

Yea - What's wrong with this picture: $145/mo. before solar, ~ $42/mo. + $123/mo. = $165/mo. You plan on making up the loss on volume ?

Also, cramped for space or not, know that Sunpower equipped systems will cost you about a buck /Watt more (~ $0.70/Watt more after tax credit), than other systems for about the same annual production for a good number of years.

Suggest getting more quotes using other reputable equipment and established installers.

Comment

• roadrnnr
              • Apr 2015

How did you get $4.70?

I guess I was looking at it by paying it off early and having less of a payment for electric in 8 years when I retire.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

How did you get $4.70?

I guess I was looking at it by paying it off early and having less of a payment for electric in 8 years when I retire.
                $21,474/4,578 Watts = $4.69/Watt.

Other quality equipment with about equal annual output can be had for ~ a buck a Watt less before tax credit. Sunpower's good stuff but way overpriced for what you get.

Comment

• roadrnnr
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                  $21,474/4,578 Watts = $4.69/Watt.

Other quality equipment with about equal annual output can be had for ~ a buck a Watt less before tax credit. Sunpower's good stuff but way overpriced for what you get.
                  Ok Thanks

I was doing it that way but after the credits and coming up with $3.25

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Ok Thanks

I was doing it that way but after the credits and coming up with $3.25
                    You're welcome.

To keep confusion at a min., and because rebates/state/local tax considerations vary with location/situation, there's sort of a convention/agreement around here to use what is paid to the vendor as the talking price. On the 30% fed. tax credit, it's assumed most everyone knows how to multiply by .70 for the after tax credit price, or makes it known they are not in the U.S.

S.P. is still overpriced.

Comment

Working...