New to this whole thing, mind taking a look at my PV wiring diagram for suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fractalcathedral
    • Mar 2015

New to this whole thing, mind taking a look at my PV wiring diagram for suggestions?

Me and my girlfriend just bought a 2004 Ford E-450 Cutaway Shuttle Bus and we're in the process of converting it into a tiny house and moving out to Oregon, (although anywhere that's meets the criteria of being 'not Dayton Ohio' would be great.)

I've been doing some research on solar, and I drew up a sketch of what our solar set up might look like. Solar Array Sketch.JPG

Now I've got a couple questions, from the top (solar), to the bottom (inverter).

1. Would this work? From the Solar Panels down, I've got x4 RENOGY 150W modules and x2 Windynation PWM 30A (390W) charge controllers, so each Charge Controller would have 300W coming through it. Positives and negatives are connected with a Signstek Y Branch MC4 Adapter, and then pass through a Midnite Solar 63Amp Circuit Breaker. Would a 30Amp Circuit Breaker suffice?

Renogy 150w panels have these ratings but I don't understand them.

Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
    Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 17.9V
    Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 8.38A
    Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.5V
    Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 9.05A

2. Should the circuit breakers be inside of a combiner box, or can they safely be exposed?

3. Should I equip a multimeter to monitor the batteries? Any suggestions on brands?

4. Any other suggestions to make this as safe as possible? Including protection from lighting. I am still confused about whether there is a way to include a lightning arrester or ground anything on what is essentially an aluminum RV.

Thanks in advance!
Working...