X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Northridge, CA

This forum has been fantastic to shorten the learning curve as we conducted diligence on our first home solar system.

Some background on the home:
    -Home: 4500 sq feet
    -Owned Home: Since July 2014
    -Annual Energy Use: ~30,420kW (in 2014)
    -Recently installed Nests upstairs and down
    -Installing attic fans
    -Installing variable rate pool pump
    -Installed LED lights
    -Power Company: DWP https://www.ladwp.com
    -Roof: Tile (real, not cement)
    -Shade: All companies who quoted laid out panels on roof areas not affected by trees (but I'm concerned with potential chimney shading)
    -Sun Studies: Indicated South and East facing roofs are best for panels - ranging from 36-47 panels - one company (who quoted micro inverters) advocated 10 panels on a north east facing roof

First post didn't seem to allow image attachments. I can post an image of the roof layout with panels if they don't attach.

I've met with 8 installers and am focusing on 4 quotes, with the following takeaways:
    -Purchase system - no financing
    -Panels: SunPower 345 to maximize avail roof real estate (I also got an LG 305 quote) (I just noticed the chart has SunPower 327 on one quote - that is actually 345)
    -Inverter Type: Leaning to single, but have a quote on micro
    -# of Panels: all quoted different but ranging from 36-47

I can post a comparative chart with detail on 4 quotes, including pricing, energy production and discounts if it doesn't attach to this posting.

Again, great forum!

Seth
    Attached Files

Originally posted by cseth1 View Post
    I've met with 8 installers and am focusing on 4 quotes, with the following takeaways:
    -Purchase system - no financing
    -Panels: SunPower 345 to maximize avail roof real estate (I also got an LG 305 quote) (I just noticed the chart has SunPower 327 on one quote - that is actually 345)
    -Inverter Type: Leaning to single, but have a quote on micro
    -# of Panels: all quoted different but ranging from 36-47

I can post a comparative chart with detail on 4 quotes, including pricing, energy production and discounts if it doesn't attach to this posting.
    Why the cleaning system?

Are you downwind from a diesel truck stop?

I'm just not believing it'll pay for itself vs. going out every 6 months (ie. when change back/forth to DST or some other reminder) with a garden hose with a nozzle on it.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
      Why the cleaning system?

Are you downwind from a diesel truck stop?

I'm just not believing it'll pay for itself vs. going out every 6 months (ie. when change back/forth to DST or some other reminder) with a garden hose with a nozzle on it.

A friend has had this Heliotex system for about 5 years and recommended. These panels would effectively sit 3 stories high above the attic, so less optimal to clean with a basic nozzle, but certainly not essential.

Comment

Even without cleaning, degradation won't be that huge. I only had about 5% improvement after cleaning on a pretty dirty system (next to busy street in LA, uncleaned for about a year). Might you be able to get a long pole window washer's tool ($75) and wash them yourself once a year?

What's the cost per watt before subsidies?

You're using 83 kwh/day. That's pretty high. LEDs are a good start, but you may need to look at energy used by your HVAC system. Have you had an energy audit done?

What is your goal -- to save money, to reduce carbon footprint, or ??

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
          Even without cleaning, degradation won't be that huge. I only had about 5% improvement after cleaning on a pretty dirty system (next to busy street in LA, uncleaned for about a year). Might you be able to get a long pole window washer's tool ($75) and wash them yourself once a year?

What's the cost per watt before subsidies?

You're using 83 kwh/day. That's pretty high. LEDs are a good start, but you may need to look at energy used by your HVAC system. Have you had an energy audit done?

What is your goal -- to save money, to reduce carbon footprint, or ??

Our goal is to reduce our energy bill. We haven't done an energy audit - just starting with the pool pump, LEDs, NESTs and attic fans. Probably a good idea to schedule.

I'm getting best and final bids from the middle 2 companies in the chart and asked for cost per watt.

Comment

Our goal is to reduce our energy bill. We haven't done an energy audit - just starting with the pool pump, LEDs, NESTs and attic fans. Probably a good idea to schedule.

I'm getting best and final bids from the middle 2 companies in the chart and asked for cost per watt.
            Cost/Watt = total to vendor/D.C. system size.

Do the audit and recommendations of your choice, then get quotes on reduced system sizes after resizing for reduced load. You'll save money on reduced load and reduced solar size. Buying solar before load reduction is doing it backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
              Cost/Watt = total to vendor/D.C. system size.

Do the audit and recommendations of your choice, then get quotes on reduced system sizes after resizing for reduced load. You'll save money on reduced load and reduced solar size. Buying solar before load reduction is doing it backwards.

Perfect. Just scheduled an audit for next week.

Cost per watt ranges between $4.07 to $6.59, with $4.65 on the Company R system I was leaning toward. Will wait on energy audit results.

Thanks.

Comment

Perfect. Just scheduled an audit for next week.

Cost per watt ranges between $4.07 to $6.59, with $4.65 on the Company R system I was leaning toward. Will wait on energy audit results.

Thanks.
                You're welcome.

Two other items just in case you didn't know/FYI points: Fed. tax credit expires 12/31/2016 giving 2 years to chew up the tax credit and. rate reform will likely be lowering the electric bills of large users such as you, maybe by something like 8-10% making solar savings smaller. Check it out.

Comment

What JPM said.

Also, I just got a bid in Los Angeles that was $3.40/watt (with 305 watt panels)
                  for 30 panels on the roof of a 2 story house. You might be able to get lower bids.

By the way, the energy audit company will then also try to sell you fixes for
                  the problems it finds. You should get opinions/bids from other companies, too, and
                  make sure everything pencils out. As JPM is fond of saying, there are a lot of
                  shady operators out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
                    What JPM said.

Also, I just got a bid in Los Angeles that was $3.40/watt (with 305 watt panels)
                    for 30 panels on the roof of a 2 story house. You might be able to get lower bids.

By the way, the energy audit company will then also try to sell you fixes for
                    the problems it finds. You should get opinions/bids from other companies, too, and
                    make sure everything pencils out. As JPM is fond of saying, there are a lot of
                    shady operators out there.
                    And, as always, Caveat Emptor. More FWIW: Negotiate tough but fair. Low buck and most bang for the buck are not the same. Good vendors are worth a (slight ?) premium. Buy cheap, buy 2X.

Comment

Working...
                    X