Solar City Wifi Security Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar City Wifi Security Question

Hey, I have been in communication with Solar City. Been thinking about whether or not to get it installed.
    One of my main concerns is security of data(on the wifi system) and further to find out if they sell stats on usage.
    Also having poor internet speed, I was wondering what kind of upload it requires if anyone knows.

Thanks. Honestly I am not leaning towards getting it for other reasons but I still wanted to know.

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
    Hey, I have been in communication with Solar City. Been thinking about whether or not to get it installed.
    One of my main concerns is security of data(on the wifi system) and further to find out if they sell stats on usage.
    Also having poor internet speed, I was wondering what kind of upload it requires if anyone knows.

Thanks. Honestly I am not leaning towards getting it for other reasons but I still wanted to know.
    Hi Caleb and welcome to solar panel talk.

I think worrying about wifi security is the LEAST of your problems, I think you need to search and read up a bit about what you are getting yourself into. If as I assume you are looking at a long term lease, those things sometimes dont work out to well, especially if you plan on selling your house during the next 20 years. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
      I don't know - but we could estimate.
      It probably updates their database with 15 minute time intervals.
      Data that it's sending needs 2-10 bytes. Address for where to send it to would be another 4 bytes. But lets use 100x that to include overhead and to be conservative.
      1400 bytes / 15 minutes = 1.55 byte/second Or ~12 bit-per-second.
      Older dial-up modems are ~28000 bit-per-second.
      So it would be a tiny impact to your internet speed, even if you're still using a dial-up modem.

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
        Hi Caleb and welcome to solar panel talk.

I think worrying about wifi security is the LEAST of your problems, I think you need to search and read up a bit about what you are getting yourself into. If as I assume you are looking at a long term lease, those things sometimes dont work out to well, especially if you plan on selling your house during the next 20 years. Cheers
        Thanks, I have done quite a bit of reading on BBB to see how they operate(not surprised as its a corporation). I was more interested in a ground mounted system that tracks the sun.
        I was even thinking about just making my own, but I work a lot and time is one luxury I cannot afford sadly.
        Thanks for the input though, also the other response. I appreciate a ball park idea.
        Have a nice week!

Comment

Working...
        X