Now THIS seems like a very dangerous device to me.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
    Willy

Sunking is correct. On a project that is reviewed to meet NEC, items like cable termination require certain verification that they were done correctly. Using dies with certification listing that get embossed into the wire termination is one way the Inspector can see the proper tool was used.

Sure you can use any crimping tool you want for your RV or home, but should a fire happen and the investigator finds improper wiring, non UL listed devices or code violations chances are the Insurance company will not pay for damages. Should someone get hurt and violations are found then liability will fall on the person who did the work and criminal procedures could follow.
    The Chicken Little's of the solar world, The Sky is falling and the Insurance inspectors are on the prowl. Next you'll be on Welding cable vs MTW wire, get real. Next you'll tell us since each and every nut, bolt and screw has a torque specification has a rating and you have to have a torque measuring instrument to make a connection.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Willy T
      The Chicken Little's of the solar world, The Sky is falling and the Insurance inspectors are on the prowl. Next you'll be on Welding cable vs MTW wire, get real.
      I guess with 40 years of electrical engineering and project management experience for both commercial and industrial projects I have a tendency to want to follow the code to make sure the job is done right and safely. I believe that is getting real in my book.

What rules you choose to follow is your business unless you are a neighbor of mine and then I would say to be aware of someone coming by to inspect your work.

Comment

• Willy T
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
        I guess with 40 years of electrical engineering and project management experience for both commercial and industrial projects I have a tendency to want to follow the code to make sure the job is done right and safely. I believe that is getting real in my book.

What rules you choose to follow is your business unless you are a neighbor of mine and then I would say to be aware of someone coming by to inspect your work.
        Just show us the Code and Specifications on Battery Cables.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

The Chicken Little's of the solar world, The Sky is falling and the Insurance inspectors are on the prowl. Next you'll be on Welding cable vs MTW wire, get real. Next you'll tell us since each and every nut, bolt and screw has a torque specification has a rating and you have to have a torque measuring instrument to make a connection.
          Well I would suggest no one listen to you or hire you.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Willy T:

One of the realities of code conformance is that you wind up building a system you hope conforms to minimum standards of safety. That's not always the highest bar, and sometimes not the most comforting thought.

One other reality is that sooner or later, systems not built to code conformance will have a higher probability of failure in one or more ways, sometimes at the risk of health or safety.

I designed a lot of pressure vessels and systems for a long time. Some of them as part of a team to A.S.M.E. nuclear code conformance code requirements. You probably have one or more A.S.M.E. pressure vessels in your home. Your hot water tank is not built to nuclear code, but it's an A.S.M.E. code vessel and the design is pretty safe. You have no idea of the technology that's developed in that area over about a century begun mostly to ensure that safety and cut down on the number of boiler explosions.

Point is, rules exist for reasons. Sometimes they are a PITA, but not as much as the alternatives when/if things go wrong.

Because you don't agree or understand why some rule(s) or the logic behind them exists, does not mean the rules are stupid.

BTW: Most every A.S.M.E nut and bolt used for pressure vessels has the paperwork you describe and is traceable through the code cert. # on the vessel. Torque wrenches and bolt tensioners are commonly used to assure a safe and secure joint, often accompanied with a bolt tightening procedure that's observed, checked and signed off for record by Q.C. personnel.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Just show us the Code and Specifications on Battery Cables.
              Proves you have never opened NEC to see what is contained or have any license to do professional work. NEC does not differentiate between AC and DC power cables.

110.14 Electrical Connections.

110.14 (2) Separate Connector Provisions.

Separately installed pressure connectors shall be used with
              conductors at the ampacities not exceeding the ampacity
              at the listed and identified temperature rating of the connector.

You cannot win this argument Willy. Hacks will not be allowed on this site. Not if I have anything to say about it. People like you are welcomed over at Arizona Wind and Sun Forum. I suggest you go there and see how far you get.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Willy T
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                Proves you have never opened NEC to see what is contained or have any license to do professional work. NEC does not differentiate between AC and DC power cables.

110.14 Electrical Connections.

110.14 (2) Separate Connector Provisions.

Separately installed pressure connectors shall be used with
                conductors at the ampacities not exceeding the ampacity
                at the listed and identified temperature rating of the connector.

You cannot win this argument Willy. Hacks will not be allowed on this site. Not of I have anything to say about it. People like you are welcomed over at Arizona Wind and Sun Forum. I suggest you go there and see how far you get.
                There is no differentiation because they have no business or say so in any DC Battery cabling. You think that lack of mention means it's automatically included ??

Why the name calling ?? I notice thats something you like to do, call people names.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

There is no differentiation because they have no business or say so in any DC cabling.
                  Again you are full of crap. Do you know what article 410, 690, 701, 702, 720, 725, and 760 is?

I did not think so because if you did you would know they all deal with DC. You would also know DC is far more dangerous than AC which Edison later found out when Tesla mopped the floor with him. Give you a hint since you are a clueless hack, 690 is Solar PV stupid. Now get lost, you are just embarrassing yourself here. .
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Willy, when it comes to codes, and what's legal, you are wrong. Insist that codes don't apply to DC and solar and you will be suspended. Insist on promoting illegal actions, and you will be banned.

And NAWS apparently does not want members, they are mucking around with their "improved" forum to the point that it is now nearly unusable. "But the clothes are New, and he IS the Emperor" the mods keep saying. They drank the microsoft kool-aid and now change is better.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...