Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roland Saul
    • Dec 2012

Recommendations for fuse protection for 200 watt camper system

I am wondering what my best options are for fire protection for my new small camper system. At 36 volts/5-6 amps expected panel output, and using what seems to be standard 10 gauge over 30 feet to the controller, I can't see any real risk pre-controller, but I know next to nothing which brings me here . I'm unclear as to my best placement and rating for fusing over the whole chain. Please tell me that I don't need to use the loop length of my panel/controller cable for fusing calculations.

With that in mind, at this voltage and current level I can't see a real need for any fuse pre-controller, but I see a need for one after the controller, and one each between my batteries and the pump circuit and the light circuit.

Firstly, am I missing something? (You'd think by now I'd know better than to ask that question around here) Secondly, my current (no pun intended) policy is "Make the fuse the weakest link by 10% of the cable capacity, or enough to account for maximum current draw expected plus 10%, whichever is less" As in my 14 gauge lighting wiring can carry 2 amps at it's 50 foot length with no real voltage drop, so make the fuse at 2.1 amps just to be safe, and the pump is a 10 amp about 6 feet from batteries, so I should account for its' start draw and then fuse it at just above that, correct?

The fuse between the controller and the batteries is the one I understand even less. this one would be protecting the controller from current draw ANYWHERE downstream from it, and protecting the batteries from a surge from the controller right? So I would fuse it at slightly less than its' 20 amp rating? As in say 19 amps? The 3 foot line from the controller to the batteries is 10 gauge I think. Red romex wire.

At these small gauges of wire, they would vaporize in the case of a lightning strike, right?
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Fuses are not used to protect from lightning. Unless you have more then two strings of panels, no OCPD is required between the panels and controllers. Solar panels are current sources not voltage.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Roland Saul
      • Dec 2012

Thanks again, SK, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...