Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pugwash4
    • Mar 2015

what you think

hey there guys kind of new too solar. my self and wife and too kids just build a new house and is off grid in Ontario Canada. we have 16 250 w panels with 8 Trojan ind17 6v with a radian 8048 flex mppt and mate 3 outback with a 6khw eco gen generac whats the good and bad that anyone sees

thanks john
  • mschulz
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by pugwash4
    hey there guys kind of new too solar. my self and wife and too kids just build a new house and is off grid in Ontario Canada. we have 16 250 w panels with 8 Trojan ind17 6v with a radian 8048 flex mppt and mate 3 outback with a 6khw eco gen generac whats the good and bad that anyone sees

thanks john
    Whats your load?
    Voltage of system?

Then everyone will chime in.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Hi John. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

As mschulz has asked, what is your expected daily kWh load? Then we can tell you if your system will work for you or if you have to make a major change on how you use electricity.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

What you propose is using just 8 Kwh per day. Not very much power for a family and extremely expensive. Secondly you likely have no use for a 8000 watt inverter. Your batteries and panel wattage is too small for a 8 Kw inverter. You should be looking at 2 to 4 Kw.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• pugwash4
          • Mar 2015

hey guys well we use about 2 to 4 kwh or less a day never over 6 ever in a year. we payed under 50 000 installed with a blaze king wood stove. we asked too go bigger just so if we needed to we could. volts unsure how too find out that. and our biggest load would be a microwave or vacuum or water pump and that is a 220 v 2 stage soft start 6.4 a

thanks for in put

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

The sad reality is, if there is grid power around, or can be brought in for the cost of your off grid system, install the grid. You are looking at lots of battery maintenance, replacements every 10 years or sooner.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by pugwash4
              hey guys well we use about 2 to 4 kwh or less a day never over 6 ever in a year. we payed under 50 000 installed with a blaze king wood stove. we asked too go bigger just so if we needed to we could. volts unsure how too find out that. and our biggest load would be a microwave or vacuum or water pump and that is a 220 v 2 stage soft start 6.4 a

thanks for in put
              With that small a load looks like your off grid lifestyle is possible. Most people use way more than 6kWh per day due to the convenience of appliances and entertainment media equipment. A computer style video game console can use 4kWh in a day just by itself.

Comment

• paulcheung
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Average low income house hold in Jamaica is use about 4 to 6 KWH daily, they have refrigerator, TV, Microwave and cloth iron.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by paulcheung
                  Average low income house hold in Jamaica is use about 4 to 6 KWH daily, they have refrigerator, TV, Microwave and cloth iron.
                  I wish I had captured my energy usage when my wife and I bought our first very small home. My guess would be I was using a lot less energy back then even with the lower efficient appliances.

It is real easy to become complacent to using more electronics at a higher cost when you have the income to support it. Makes me feel wasteful.

Comment

• pugwash4
                    • Mar 2015

well guys it was going to cost over 90 000 just for grid plus a monthly fee and now with LED and LCD laptops stuff it a lot easyer. not a small 1800 sqf plus finshed basement two full bath on the main and half in the lower. we have a HRV as well that we use dishwasher that runs once a day. plans for a small shop car port. most of us use more power on stuff we don't even know uses power. thanks again for replys

Comment

Working...