Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France requiring vegatation or renewable energy generation on new commercial roofs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France requiring vegatation or renewable energy generation on new commercial roofs?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...r-solar-panels
    http://www.lemoniteur.fr/150-perform...ciaux-28090549
    http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/14...5/20150186.asp

No details on how much of the roof has to be involved, when it'll go into effect, etc.
    I can't even find the text of the law or regulation.

Would be interesting to see if what they do with a roof that is always in the shade

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
      Would be interesting to see if what they do with a roof that is always in the shade
      There's lots of plants that grow in the shade.

As I read the article, what they really wanted was to require plants on all new roofs, but decided to allow solar panels as an "alternative." I think there's a lot to be said for green roofs in general, but I'm not so sure about requiring them everywhere.
      16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post
        There's lots of plants that grow in the shade.

As I read the article, what they really wanted was to require plants on all new roofs, but decided to allow solar panels as an "alternative." I think there's a lot to be said for green roofs in general, but I'm not so sure about requiring them everywhere.
        Well dirt is heavy; they'll need to build stronger roofs. No telling what
        might get piled on up there. And imagine trying to fix a leak that is
        underground. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
          underground. Bruce Roe
          Are we talking vegetable gardens or low maintenance ground plants and grass?

Also what can that roof support with respect to foot and equipment traffic. You certainly couldn't roll a full wheel barrel across the roof unless it had 4 large balloon tires to spread the load.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
            underground. Bruce Roe
            Believe it or not, green roofs are actually fairly mature and common technology, and have been used in modern construction for over 50 years. They're not as widespread in the U.S. as in Europe (supposedly 10% of roofs in Germany have rooftop gardens or plantings), but every major city has at least a few examples. So whether you think this is a good idea or just another example of those whacky French, building green roofs is not breaking any new ground in terms of engineering or design.

Comment

Believe it or not, green roofs are actually fairly mature and common technology, and have been used in modern construction for over 50 years. They're not as widespread in the U.S. as in Europe (supposedly 10% of roofs in Germany have rooftop gardens or plantings), but every major city has at least a few examples. So whether you think this is a good idea or just another example of those whacky French, building green roofs is not breaking any new ground in terms of engineering or design.
              I didn't say it was new or whacky; I said roofs will need to be stronger. There are some
              rooftop gardens here too. Building methods vary widely. At work a purpose built facility
              had I beams 2' tall (I do not exaggerate) under each level; at a plasterboard rental we
              couldn't set half ton frames most places because they would break though. Bruce Roe

Comment

Believe it or not, green roofs are actually fairly mature and common technology,
                Go to Manhattan Island NYC NY
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                  Go to Manhattan Island NYC NY
                  Yes, great example. Manhattan has dozens of green roofs. Heck, they have a whole park with trees and stuff built on top of an old railroad structure. A Google Image search for Green Roofs in Manhattan has lots of examples (though not all the pictures are actually in Manhattan--I saw a picture of the Chicago City Hall included in the list).

Comment

Working...
                  X