X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonB
    • Dec 2010

Really Like This Solar Hot Air Collector

Intro
    I've gleaned a lot of info off this board. Now it's my turn to share.
    My system circulates crawl space air. I insulated my crawl space walls, put 6 mil plastic on the floor and have over half of it covered in 6”-thick faced fiberglass insulation.

Site
    I live in Fort Collins, CO. Collector location is on back of house and is within a few degrees of due SE.
    I added attic insulation to R-60.

Two Big Mistakes
    One big mistake was using vinyl screen. Don't do it. I had to rip it out and replace it with aluminum screen. The vinyl out-gasses when it gets hot and stinks strongly. It had the appearance of condensation on the inside of the glazing. Bad news.
    The second big mistake was using polycarbonate for glazing. My panel goes to at least 270F on stagnate. So if your fan shuts off for any reason while the sun is shining then you're in big trouble. The max long-term temp rating on Suntuf is 212F. Even in operation the panel temperature can approach this. Damage caused by overtemp looks to me like UV damage---cracking and breaching. With much hassle I replaced the polycarbonate with single pane tempered glass. Three sheets are textured solar glass re-purposed from hot water panels that I found on Craigslist. The rest are standard tempered glass sheets. The solar glass is cooler to the touch than the standard glass.

Lessor Mistake
    I used 2x6s for the frame ripped to 60 degrees on both long sides. This was a waste and 2x4s non-ripped would have been better.

Paint
    One poster mentioned that if you purchase charcoal aluminum screen then you won't have to paint it. I found this to be incorrect as the flat black grill paint is blacker than the charcoal aluminum screen. I had to disassemble half of the panel to paint my charcoal screen flat black.

Collector Size
    Just over 100 sq ft. and my house is 1056 sq ft. I use a 424 cu ft fan rated at 284F and 6” ductwork. The 6” ductwork was necessary to fit inside a bedroom closet. I'm certain that 8” ductwork would have worked better had I had the room for it. I have dampers on both ports and the ductwork is insulated in the closet, as through the wall.

Cost
    Probably around $500.

Performance
    I am thrilled by the performance of this system. Even on the coldest days, as long as the sun is shining, my crawlspace, joists and flooring material become a thermal battery releasing heat long after the sun goes down. My forced air furnace does not run as long as the sun is shining no matter how cold it is outside and often not until early morning hours.
    The temperature gain in the panel is 70--130F depending on how cold it is outside. It's easy for the working temperature in the panel to be 200F.

Energy Savings
    My gas co. tells me both my current usage and usage over the same period a year earlier.
    I've had a couple bills indicating a colder average temperature for the month yet I'm still saving 25% on therms used.

Fabrication
    Build the frame according to the sizing of the glass you procured.
    1” poly iso inside the frame against the house.
    2 layers of screen carefully spaced, painted flat black on both sides. This is important as I understand it, since not only is heat absorbed best into flat black, but heat is released best on a flat black surface as well.
    I run my fan at 110V as at 120V I had a thermal shutdown on a warmer Spring day (if you're using polycarbonate it just got trashed).
    90/110 snap switch is working well but I might consider a warmer one like 95/115 or whatever so cooler air is terminated sooner at the end of the solar day.

I'm using a thermal snap switch, variac, relay (RIB relays are excellent) and 24VDC transformer.
    On cloudy days I can turn the fan speed down to keep the heat up inside the collector so it doesn't shut off.

K-type thermocouples x 4. One on the collectors inlet and one on the collectors outlet. These are connected to a dual thermocouple unit so I can easily T1-T2 to find the temperature gain in the collector.
    Then two different places in the crawlspace.
    The fan is on the collector's supply, sets in the crawlspace and sucks air through the collector providing a negative pressure.

Future Improvements
    I'm considering replacing the thermal snap switch, variac, relay and transformer with the Nimbus Smart Fan Controller. We'll see if I get there as I'm getting pretty tired of this project. I'm not certain it will control this fan either.

Covering For Summer
    I don't want this hot air collector to stagnate at 270 degrees or greater. I think the polyiso has a limit of 300 degrees before it starts breaking down. After a lot of soul searching I decided to use 1/2” polyiso sheets to cover the panel in Summer. The polyiso is more rigid than plywood and is light. I'm planning on using 3/4” sticky white Velcro to attach the polyiso perimeter to the glass. I'm thinking of adding a thin bead of silicon caulk to the Velcro attached to the glass since the silicon should hold up to the temperature extremes a whole lot better.

Pointers
    Get an idea of where your collector will go and find the glass first. Check craigslist and like sources.
    Once you have the glass, build the collector accordingly.
    IMG_0006_1000.jpgIMG_0004_1000.jpgIMG_0003_1000.jpgIMG_0008_1000.jpgIMG_0007_1000.jpg
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Thanx for sharing.

Questions:

Any thermal mass like rocks, concrete ?

Any plans to vent the collector in the summer ? I know it'll be covered but more outgassing will occur, maybe from the paint. Maybe from some of the other materials.

How's your snow cover in the winter in front to the collector?

Comment

• RonB
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      Thanx for sharing.

Questions:
      Any thermal mass like rocks, concrete ?
      Any plans to vent the collector in the summer ? I know it'll be covered but more outgassing will occur, maybe from the paint. Maybe from some of the other materials.

How's your snow cover in the winter in front to the collector?
      > No snow cover issues. I have used mylar reflectors but have found that snow reflects better than reflective mylar.
      > I'm not using any additional thermal mass though knowing this could be useful.
      > Not planning to vent. No vent means no insects making homes. Don't see outgassing as an issue. Materials: aluminum screen, polyiso sheet insulation, wood, flat black grill paint, tempered glass.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by RonB
        > No snow cover issues. I have used mylar reflectors but have found that the white snow reflects better than reflective mylar.
        Thank you.

J.P.M.

Comment

• Craigwell
          • Apr 2015

That looks like an incredible setup to this Newbie, Ron.

My first setup went very small - 20sq ft but with 30' of 6" insulated ducting and a small 104cfm fan - definitely room to improve, and I make note of what you did here.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

• RonB
            • Dec 2010

Update with Summer pic

Here's the panel during summer with 1" polyiso cover attached with velcro.
            Obviously I painted it white, need to contract some mural work.
            Using silicon to adhere the velcro to the glass was a disaster---I ended up using a thin layer of JB Weld clear epoxy.
            Here's to your solar heat project!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RonB; 08-06-2015, 07:49 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

• NormalSun
              • Aug 2015

Thanks, this info was very helpful.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Here's the panel during summer with 1" polyiso cover attached with velcro. Obviously I painted it white, need to contract some mural work. Using silicon to adhere the velcro to the glass was a disaster---I ended up using a thin layer of JB Weld clear epoxy. Here's to your solar heat project!
                Anything drying out, cooking out, changing dimension, critters or bugs so far ? Just curious. J.P.M.

Comment

• RonB
                  • Dec 2010

Anything drying out, cooking out, changing dimension, critters or bugs so far ? Just curious. J.P.M.
                  No problems noticed after 1 1/2 cooling seasons. I do get a vinyl smell sometimes during heating season, and hope this is just residue from my vinyl screen blunder and not the polyiso breaking down.
                  It really shouldn't be the polyiso though as I understand it's good up to 300F. I don't think I've ever exceeded 250F on stagnate. Definitely have hit 220F though.
                  Good day!

Comment

• RonB
                    • Dec 2010

No problems noticed after 1 1/2 cooling seasons. I do get a vinyl smell sometimes during heating season, and hope this is just residue from my vinyl screen blunder and not the polyiso breaking down.
                    It really shouldn't be the polyiso though as I understand it's good up to 300F. I don't think I've ever exceeded 250F on stagnate. Definitely have hit 220F though.
                    Good day!
                    Well I was looking back at my original post and I said I hit 270F on stagnate. Certainly have not hit 300F though.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Well I was looking back at my original post and I said I hit 270F on stagnate. Certainly have not hit 300F though.
                      Not there so I can't comment on temps. attained, but it may not be a good assumption to assume something is uniform in temp., particularly insulation.

Comment

• RonB
                        • Dec 2010

Not there so I can't comment on temps. attained, but it may not be a good assumption to assume something is uniform in temp., particularly insulation.
                        Good point. The question is then, does overheated polyiso smell like vinyl? I'm guessing the answer is no.
                        I appreciate the discussion.

Comment

• gridvoltage
                          • Aug 2013

I like it.

Comment

• Shellbuilder
                            • Aug 2015

Replying to gain access to pictures

Comment

• CruisnGrrl
                              • Sep 2015