Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another noob, probably asking the same old questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another noob, probably asking the same old questions....

Hello solar pros,

I am just a lowly printer tech and admittedly know nothing about solar BUT I want to utilize it for my new project, here it is....

I am building a 4 x 4 chicken coop. It's raised up 35" from the ground and there is a door in the floor. I am going to use a 12v car power antenna hooked up to a 12v timer to open and close the door in the morning and at night. I would also like to have a 12v LED "barn light" or "wall sconce" on the front to stay lit up at night (and also as an indicator that the door is shut).

I don't know how much draw the antenna motor would consume and as for the bulb, I was just thinking about an 1157 LED car bulb.

What would be some suggestions as for the size and type of panel, controller, battery?

Thanks!
    Mark

Originally posted by mjmjross View Post
    Hello solar pros,

I am just a lowly printer tech and admittedly know nothing about solar BUT I want to utilize it for my new project, here it is....

I am building a 4 x 4 chicken coop. It's raised up 35" from the ground and there is a door in the floor. I am going to use a 12v car power antenna hooked up to a 12v timer to open and close the door in the morning and at night. I would also like to have a 12v LED "barn light" or "wall sconce" on the front to stay lit up at night (and also as an indicator that the door is shut).

I don't know how much draw the antenna motor would consume and as for the bulb, I was just thinking about an 1157 LED car bulb.

What would be some suggestions as for the size and type of panel, controller, battery?

Thanks!
    Mark
    Am I the only one who's seeing chicken more coop applications lately ?

Comment

So your chickens are going to free range in the day and go into the coop at sunset?
      Do you have a rooster? If so, you don't need a door, protecting the hens is his job.
      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
        So your chickens are going to free range in the day and go into the coop at sunset?
        Do you have a rooster? If so, you don't need a door, protecting the hens is his job.
        The first part is correct. In the spirit of keeping neighborly, I will not have a rooster.

Comment

Use an LED for the light. An incandescent bulb, however small, will use more energy than you want to spend staying on all night.

As for the antenna motor, you need to know how much current it draws when running (giving instantaneous power so that you can make sure the battery can deliver that) and also how long it runs for one cycle so that you can tell how much energy it uses (probably negligible, especially compared to the light.)

You can plug the motor and light numbers into the off-grid system design tool provided by Sunking in a sticky thread.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
            Use an LED for the light. An incandescent bulb, however small, will use more energy than you want to spend staying on all night.

As for the antenna motor, you need to know how much current it draws when running (giving instantaneous power so that you can make sure the battery can deliver that) and also how long it runs for one cycle so that you can tell how much energy it uses (probably negligible, especially compared to the light.)

You can plug the motor and light numbers into the off-grid system design tool provided by Sunking in a sticky thread.
            Sounds great. I'll get some numbers together and find that sticky. Didn't know about it.

Thanks!

Comment

how long of a run would it be to properly run a circuit from your main power panel?
              You'll probably want power to keep water unfrozen in the winter and run a light so the hens still think the days are long enough to keep laying eggs.

Comment

how long of a run would it be to properly run a circuit from your main power panel?
                You'll probably want power to keep water unfrozen in the winter and run a light so the hens still think the days are long enough to keep laying eggs.
                I was considering running power out there but I'm just in a rental and am trying to keep cost down. I guess I could just run an extension cord out there but don't want to see it running across the yard. I'm on the central cost of CA and during the Winter we might get 1 or 2 days when it freezes. I am building a 2" watering pipe with the nipples on it. I will wrap it to keep from freezing (unless I decided to run power)

Thanks for the info!!

Mark

Comment

That's good then, doesn't sound like you'll have to deal with keep water from freezing which is one of the major power draws.

Have you considered a tractor style coop? If you have room to move one around that could be a good fit for you as they are completely enclosed, except the floor, so you wouldn't need a door on the coop, at least not one you'd have to open/close daily.

Comment

That's good then, doesn't sound like you'll have to deal with keep water from freezing which is one of the major power draws.

Have you considered a tractor style coop? If you have room to move one around that could be a good fit for you as they are completely enclosed, except the floor, so you wouldn't need a door on the coop, at least not one you'd have to open/close daily.
                    I did consider that but we have a lot of skunks and bobcats running around and one of our neighbors just lost 4 hens to predators last month. If I did a tractor style, I would need to have hardware cloth under it as well. Mama and the boys want a cute coop that we can secure them is at night anyway....

Comment

I see, post up the power requirements and we can help you design a system to meet them but it's going to cost way more than you probably think. I'd estimate more than the coop itself but if the money doesn't bother you and you're not trying to be "green" then you're in the right spot for help.

Comment

Working...
                      X