fast discharge recharge time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast discharge recharge time

ok i looked all over the place for an answer /my charge controller brings battery volts to about 14.40 volts a load will come on for about 8 to 10 minutes volts drop to 12.65 to 13.08 depending what the sun is doing 8 to 10 minutes later batterys are back up to 14.40 volts this will go on all day long //3 125 ah agms//is this bad for my batterys ? thanks for any help//art

Originally posted by cloudydays View Post
    ok i looked all over the place for an answer /my charge controller brings battery volts to about 14.40 volts a load will come on for about 8 to 10 minutes volts drop to 12.65 to 13.08 depending what the sun is doing 8 to 10 minutes later batterys are back up to 14.40 volts this will go on all day long //3 125 ah agms//is this bad for my batterys ? thanks for any help//art
    Maybe a problem, maybe not. On the surface indicates your load demand exceeds what the solar panels are producing..

• What is your Panel Wattage?
    • What Battery Voltage?
    • What load in watts or amps are you pulling?
    • How many watt hours do you use in a day?
    • What is you location?

If I had to guess your system is completely mismatched. The answer to the questions will reveal the issue.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Whats the age of the battery bank?
      Size of the battery bank Volts? Amp hours?
      Wattage & voltage of the PV array?
      Model of charge controller

My first guess is the batteries are a year old, and sulphated. Quick droop, and quick recovery are the clues that point me to that.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Whats the age of the battery bank?
        Size of the battery bank Volts? Amp hours?
        Wattage & voltage of the PV array?
        Model of charge controller

My first guess is the batteries are a year old, and sulphated. Quick droop, and quick recovery are the clues that point me to that.
        Or his load exceeds what the panels can produce. The hint is 12.6 volts....

When batteries are near full charge his controller is still sending 14.4 volts, but when say a 200 watt load hits a 100 watt panel the batteries go to 12.6 volts which means the bateries are making up the difference and indicating full charge voltage.

What you wanna bet he/she has something like a 100 watt panel, 10 amp controller, 12 volt 50 AH battery connected to a 2000 watt inverter?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

fast charge /discharge

sorry i did not answer sooner //4 100 watt renogy pvs in parallel//40 amp renogy mppt with mp5/3 agm 125 ah parallel about 3 months old batt wire is # 2 all other wire is #10/ inverter is a samlex as 2000-12/ run from pv to charge controler is about 35-40 feet//i am running a furnace it pulls about 6 amps after the surge //elmira ny /pv angle is 43 degrees/i would think i could run something that pulls 6 amps on a sunning day with 400 watts without pulling my batterys down /with that said volts donot drop below 12.6/13.6 depends time of day/clouds/weather gets better i will do the pvs in series and see if that helps //again thanks/art

Comment

OK Art everything sounds normal for what you have which is abnormal. Assuming that 6 amps you are talking about is at 120 volts AC (800 watts or 67 battery amps) from the inverter, your system is way undersized and operating at the wrong battery voltage. Nothing we can do to help you. It is not broke, just completely configured incorrectly as I suspected.

You should be running at least 2000 watt of panels and not certain that is enough because you did not specify how many watt hours you use in a day and your location. You should be at a minimum 48 volt battery @ 1300 AH or 16 times more than you have now. Additionally all your wiring is way undersized and you are running a very high risk of a fire.

Only thing I can or will tell you is turn it off before your burn your house down.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X