Solar Power Plant - 1MW - India - Financial viability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Power Plant - 1MW - India - Financial viability

I have been doing some online reserach for last few weeks on financial viability of setting up and running a 1MW Grid connected Solar plant.
    Based on all the facts at had, I have come to following conclusions (open to criticism, suggestions):

1) It makes sense if you are a taxing paying corporate, as AD (accelerated depreciation) is going to make you break even in 2-3 years. Beyond that, even if you sell power at 'coal power' prices, business case is still strong.

2) If you can't take advantge of AD, then there is no business case. REC (Renewable Energy Credits) model has failed, simply no buyers for REC, as junk as ash.

I know I have oversimplified things, however, even with detailed data, broadly conclusions remain same for me.

Have I got it right? Or have I missed something? Opinions please.

Fortunately, this forum has an old thread (initiated in 2013) on the same subject. Did anyone actually invest in 2013? If so, please provide your experience and views.

You have to also back that solar up with conventional power generating source and keep it on line and hot standby ready to take over. A 1 Mw conventional generating plant can generate 24 Mwh in a day. A 1 Mw solar plant can only generate 4 to 6 Mwh per day.

Commercial solar plants have an EROI of roughly 3 to 4. A conventional fossil fuel EROI is up around 60. Nuclear EROI is 200+, and wind EROI is around 8. So can a poor country afford the most expensive option with the lowest ROI and EROI?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by coolbreeze View Post
      Fortunately, this forum has an old thread (initiated in 2013) on the same subject. Did anyone actually invest in 2013? If so, please provide your experience and views.
      No one reading a thread/site like this is playing the game you want to get in to. This is big bucks and big politics in India - not little kids stuff. One mW is peanuts - no chance!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
      X