X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawl View Post
    I get that.
    Pawl.

There are many threads on this forum including those where people have performed up to 100% of their own install of a grid tie PV system.

There is also a section on building your own solar panels which has been tried and will continue to be performed by people wanting to learn the basics of how solar pv works.

Unfortunately while there is some structure to the threads you will have to review a number to find what you are looking for. You can learn a lot about solar pv here so hang around and check out the threads and enjoy.

Comment

SolarPanelTalk is a community with various forums, which in turn
      contain any number of threads. At least, this is how I understand it (and how it appears).

I would welcome some edification here. If not DIY build your own solar panels, as defined
      by the website, and not DIY installing, what are the website's owners' intentions for this
      area of the community discussion board?
      Is your immediate goal to build panels, or to set up a system with panels you have built?
      I spent considerable resources trying to figure out how to build panels that would actually
      work. After very many failures, and discarding about everything you see on the internet,
      a real panel was produced. Meanwhile the price of commercial panels nosedived. I
      concluded that to get something economical & effective going, in my lifetime, commercial
      is the way to go.

For installation, you can go off grid, usually involving batteries, or grid tie. What is
      your plan/idea? Bruce Roe

Comment

Thank you bcroe, Samsolar, Suneagle, et al.

I'm in the research phase only—with limited free time/capital to put towards a solar project. My small house is not positioned to capture full sun, but the back of my yard would have full sun all day, so I've been thinking of a pedestal mount of panels, perhaps in 2016. I figured I could learn from folks who have installed their own system, and then decide whether it was feasible for me, and if so, how much help (and what kind) I would need.

I'll read through more threads, and glean what I can along the way.

Comment

Thank you bcroe, Samsolar, Suneagle, et al.

I'm in the research phase only—with limited free time/capital to put towards a solar project. My small house is not positioned to capture full sun, but the back of my yard would have full sun all day, so I've been thinking of a pedestal mount of panels, perhaps in 2016. I figured I could learn from folks who have installed their own system, and then decide whether it was feasible for me, and if so, how much help (and what kind) I would need.

I'll read through more threads, and glean what I can along the way.
          Keep reading and researching. Understand your energy use, possible conservation, and
          potential PV generation. Until you can put NUMBERS on these, you're not ready to think
          about specific equipment. PV solar is expensive, breaking even can be a distant event.
          A good DIYer may find opportunities to reduce cost, an engineering degree helps.

Some of us greatly favor PV ground mounts, when there is space available. In the
          east & midwest the weather will dominate how efficiently your system operates.
          Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
            Keep reading and researching. Understand your energy use, possible conservation, and
            potential PV generation. Until you can put NUMBERS on these, you're not ready to think
            about specific equipment. PV solar is expensive, breaking even can be a distant event.
            A good DIYer may find opportunities to reduce cost, an engineering degree helps.

Some of us greatly favor PV ground mounts, when there is space available. In the
            east & midwest the weather will dominate how efficiently your system operates.
            Bruce Roe
            I do have to put NUMBERS together, as you say, for the simple reason that I'm not wealthy. But for me the bottom line is not so much about breaking even, but about lowering my carbon footprint. Just one individual, but I'll make that difference if and when I can. I'm excited about the path toward renewable energy and the new paradigm of energy independence (democratization) on individual levels. I believe the grid needs to be in place and paid for (by everyone tied into it), but even that may take new form as storage technology continues to develop.

btw, I'm in SoCal. Very low electrical usage—bill is <$40/mo including charging elec car—save the really hot months when I do use air conditioning. The panel array I would need to meet my usage will not be large.

Comment

I do have to put NUMBERS together, as you say, for the simple reason that I'm not wealthy. But for me the bottom line is not so much about breaking even, but about lowering my carbon footprint. Just one individual, but I'll make that difference if and when I can. I'm excited about the path toward renewable energy and the new paradigm of energy independence (democratization) on individual levels. I believe the grid needs to be in place and paid for (by everyone tied into it), but even that may take new form as storage technology continues to develop.

btw, I'm in SoCal. Very low electrical usage—bill is <$40/mo including charging elec car—save the really hot months when I do use air conditioning. The panel array I would need to meet my usage will not be large.
              I heat the house with solar PV in northern IL. Purchased 0 KWH in the last 12 months; $15.95
              a month for connection. PV generation is about 28,000 KWH a year. Bruce Roe

Comment

but about lowering my carbon footprint. Just one individual, but I'll make that difference if and when I can. I'm excited about the path toward renewable energy and the new paradigm of energy independence (democratization) on individual levels.

WTF?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                  but about lowering my carbon footprint. Just one individual, but I'll make that difference if and when I can. I'm excited about the path toward renewable energy and the new paradigm of energy independence (democratization) on individual levels.

WTF?
                  russ

It comes down to what each individual feels they want and can do to help reduce carbon. For some people it matters, for others it doesn't.

I have switched from driving my Tundra @ 15mpg to a Chevy @ 25mpg. But my reason is saving on my fuel costs. I really don't believe (or care) my reduction in carbon emissions will make a difference on climate change.

But for some people, I guess what I am doing is helping.
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

Working...
                  X