Aquions How low can I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toothy View Post
    On the Aquions, not having to worry about 100% soc on a regular basis, or ever, would make my life a lot easier. I really never use the gen auto start, it works and all but it is not the way I'm programed. I would rather turn it on when I wanted run it a few hours and hope for some sun or wind in the next day or 2.

Wade
    We had 5 days of no sun and were able to make it through the 5 days without any generator. We were running the Jacuzzi 40 min and Sauna 2 hours at night for 3 nights because we do a detox program and our clients gets to end the day with the Jacuzzi and Sauna. At least 2 days we were running the dehydrator. We made enough power during the day to keep our batteries where they left off the night before. We did have a fairly full house at the time. Then when we hit 8% SOC, had to switch to the Utility Power. Had a feeling we could go a little more but didn't want to upset the guests.
    AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
      ongridHawaiian is in Hawaii
      It's actually Offgeneratorhawaiian with on-grid back-up. Still waiting for the wire harness to hook up generator
      AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Off/on/whatever works Hawaiian

Like I said I have never really used the auto start feature in the last 6 or so years off grid. I tried it for a while but it doesn't think about tomorrows forecast. I remember it ran one night after a long cloudy period, kicked off at float and then we had a sunny day and the whole run cycle could and should have been avoided. So, no more auto start for me.

I think the Aquions will allow me more freedom and I'm thinking I may go back to using the auto start with them, but differently than with fla's. Set a low soc % or volt start with a short 1-3 hour run time and let it cycle like that if bad weather persists, and never worry about making it through absorb.

I think you should hook your gen up and forget the auto start because your array and weather conditions are better than ours. Use the auto start relay to power a buzzer as a low volt reminder.

Wade

Comment

After 6 years off grid and your not using the the 50% to 85 % soc recharge scheme when using the Generator auto start to fill in for your solar during bad weather ?? It's no wonder FLA batteries get a bad rap. The only reason you'd need to run to float would be if you were forced to do a EQ . Doing a full charge is only needed every 7-10 days and even that can be extended some as long as your watching your SG's.

Comment

Living Large,

We are off grid, no wires from the outside unless you count the phone and that is not much use for juice.

We use between 5-10 Kwh per day we have 2 arrays one @ 2000w and one @ 3000w and a 1kw wind turbine.

We don't get much real sun in the late fall and early winter. I just can't stand worrying about damaging the FLa's,
            I'd rather recycle them than think about them.

I take it your run times a calculated not real world? To get those short run times you must have quite the generator and charger. My inverters don't have a lot of umph on the charge side 2-Outback vfx3648, they seem to max out around 70A DC. I did just install 2- SW5548 as chargers only and they seem to put out a bit better.

On the Aquions, not having to worry about 100% soc on a regular basis, or ever, would make my life a lot easier. I really never use the gen auto start, it works and all but it is not the way I'm programed. I would rather turn it on when I wanted run it a few hours and hope for some sun or wind in the next day or 2.

Wade
            Hello Wade - the run time difference is primarily due to the difference in charge rate each chemistry is rated for. If you have a wind turbine, there is one of those factors that could make a difference for your particular situation - as you say, you don't need to worry about 100% soc. I can't use a turbine where I am. It would be great to have to not listen to the generator as it spins.

I am in agreement as far as maintenance of FLA, based only on what I have read. People here warned me I would essentially have a new child to take care of. For my particular application, it was not for me personally but I know it is the standard choice. Good luck. If you go AHI, please post an update on your experience.

Don

Edit For the LFP batteries I was looking at, the charge rate is C/5. For AHI, I believe it is C/16.

Comment

I manually recharge when in the 50-60% range, but I have to think about it ALL the time. Not because I would be upset if I had a low voltage disconnect but because a lvd is bad for the batteries. I do stretch full recharges a bit but there are as many theories on how many days is non damaging as there are backsides. I never run gen into float only to float every 10+/- days.

No kids, I heard you can't get rid of them even if they are a pita, my Rolls 4ks25ps's are totally disposable when they become a pita and are truely unloved.

Do you have the charge capacity to achieve you projected run times? C/5 is great if your gen and charger can hack it.

Wade

Comment

I manually recharge when in the 50-60% range, but I have to think about it ALL the time. Not because I would be upset if I had a low voltage disconnect but because a lvd is bad for the batteries. I do stretch full recharges a bit but there are as many theories on how many days is non damaging as there are backsides. I never run gen into float only to float every 10+/- days.

No kids, I heard you can't get rid of them even if they are a pita, my Rolls 4ks25ps's are totally disposable when they become a pita and are truely unloved.

Do you have the charge capacity to achieve you projected run times? C/5 is great if your gen and charger can hack it.

Wade
                I have put my design on the shelf, but I was planning a 48V 600 Ah bank. At C/5, that is 120A. I was figuring more like C/6 or 100A. I was going to use Schneider inverter/charge equipment. Yes, it would cost some $$$, but it was for a full-time house. My use is around 7kWh per day. Solar array was going to be about 4800W. I'm rattling these numbers from memory but I think they are close.

With LFP you have concerns of too low a voltage killing em in one very unhappy expensive incident, but you can plan to avoid that. There was extensive discussion on this site about how to design for an LFP bank, including balancing, practical DOD range, and LVD. For me personally, they were a much better fit.

Comment

LL

I don't have Schneider xw stuff but beware neither of my set-ups put out their rated charge amps. My 2-vfx3648's rated 90A actual output around 70A DC. On my 2-SW 5548's it's around 30A on the AC side rated 35A.

Wade

Comment

LL

I don't have Schneider xw stuff but beware neither of my set-ups put out their rated charge amps. My 2-vfx3648's rated 90A actual output around 70A DC. On my 2-SW 5548's it's around 30A on the AC side rated 35A.

Wade
                    That is a fair warning. The maximum current is 100A, so I might not see more than 85A.

Comment

Working...
                    X