• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donald
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
    Interesting, you have utility power.
    Some people buy S-call Mercedes, some people buy hookers and blow, some people buy new technology.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by donald
      Some people buy S-call Mercedes, some people buy hookers and blow, some people buy new technology.
      Some people buy BS and claim they did something great.

Or maybe it is a green thing - they don't have to make financial nor engineering sense.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Living Large
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by donald
        It would have been nice to know this detail weeks ago. Is this a hybrid system? If not, why not?

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Living Large
          It would have been nice to know this detail weeks ago. Is this a hybrid system? If not, why not?
          So far based on the preliminary data his system, with a generator, doesn't seem to need to be a hybrid system or have a grid tie.

Maybe the "grid connection" to his home is not a simple thing or maybe he is using a long extension cord from his nice neighbor.

It sounds like Work In Progress on a new solar battery system that will eventually be totally off grid. Or as the OP indicated he is one of 3 Aquion system Guinea Pig test setups.

And based on some of the $/kWh costs I have seen for Hawaii his system may actually pay for itself.

Too soon to tell. I intend to stay tuned to his progress.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
            So far based on the preliminary data his system, with a generator, doesn't seem to need to be a hybrid system or have a grid tie.

Maybe the "grid connection" to his home is not a simple thing or maybe he is using a long extension cord from his nice neighbor.

It sounds like Work In Progress on a new solar battery system that will eventually be totally off grid.

And based on some of the $/kWh costs I have seen for Hawaii his system may actually pay for itself.

Too soon to tell. I intend to stay tuned to his progress.
            Or maybe it is a test site for Aquion? There are many possibilities.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Or maybe it is a test site for Aquion? There are many possibilities.
              Yeah I edited my post to reflect that he stated he is one of 3 systems being tested on the Big Island

Comment

• Living Large
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Yeah I edited my post to reflect that he stated he is one of 3 systems being tested on the Big Island
                If I were Aquion, I might also ship my batteries to a sunny place like Hawaii for performance tests. I'd like to see data from an installation in a place like 40-45 deg N for comparison.

I can drool over the thought of 4-5 hours a day sun in winter, my generator sitting unused and unfueled, and the ability to flip a switch and have POCO, but this is a total fantasy for me. I guess what I am saying is this is not typical off-grid. Well, apparently it isn't off-grid at this point.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

based on some of the $/kWh costs I have seen for Hawaii his system may actually pay for itself.
                  the 50 cent per kWh stuff helps!

The OP needs to mention in every post the game he is playing - no doubt there were some price breaks thrown his way.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Well, apparently it isn't off-grid at this point.
                    In name only - I haven't followed it that close but in the discussion about AC the OP implied no grid was available.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
                      the 50 cent per kWh stuff helps!.
                      Does not make any difference in Hawaii. Yes electricity is 2 to 3 times more than in the USA. So is everything else in Hawaii. Location, location, location..... If it is not made or grown on the Island, whatever it is will be expensive including all the solar equipment and batteries. Heck even what is grown iin Hawaii is expensive. Ever bought Kona Coffee, macadamia nuts, or Maui Wowie.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
                        In name only - I haven't followed it that close but in the discussion about AC the OP implied no grid was available.
                        That was my understanding also. No Grid available.

So whatever the "switch back to utility power" the OP might be referring to "the battery control circuit" but not necessarily a hard connection to the POCO. Hopefully he will provide some clarification.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Really?

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
                          Had to flip the switch back to utility power since generator is not hooked up yet.
                          Which is it? Cannot have it both ways.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2014

So whatever the "switch back to utility power" the OP might be referring to "the battery control circuit" but not necessarily a hard connection to the POCO. Hopefully he will provide some clarification.
                            The quote is "Had to flip the switch back to utility power since generator is not hooked up yet". This in conjunction with him saying his batteries are very low and clouds expected means only a few options. Another battery bank which I don't believe has been mentioned, and POCO are the ones that come to my mind. I don't know what a battery control circuit is, but it needs a power source

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                              • Feb 2015

Sorry about all the confusion

This is not a Hybrid System and also not Grid-Tied. In Hawaii the Utility HELCO tells me I have to pay them to upgrade their system in order for me to tie into it, and that the rate they purchase the excess back is 1/3 of what they sell it back to me.

The reason we are still connected to HELCO is because the Remote-Start Module from Honda is not available for the EU7000is yet. When I called in December was told to wait a few weeks, called in January and was told end of the month, called in February and they said call in March now just got off the phone with Honda and was told NO module and They had no answer as to when it would be available. Does anyone know if its the same wiring as the EU6500? We have the Contex AGS module waiting for the Honda module so they can get married and then we can live happily ever after off-grid

No EU6500is available on the Big Island so would have to get one shipped in that's why went with the EU7000is and a Central Maine Diesel Tri-Fuel Kit.

Batteries have only been charged by the sun, the last few days have got them up to about 50% SOC, but what does that mean, since they are Aquion's? Have run them down to 8% SOC and still above 40.0V and have not had inverters cut out or have had any problem with anything not working. Made it through the night starting at 29.4% SOC before going to bed. Just started the washer at 12% SOC, now at 11% SOC @ 47.4V . The array is generating 725W with a load of 537W with 234W going to the batteries. Still running on the Aquion's. BTW we used the dehydrator all night since we had three large bunched get ripe all at the same time.

So in the meantime plan to use HELCO only if we have a < 20% SOC when the sun goes down Had to use roughly 7 hours of HELCO the other night because we have to keep the guests happy. Until we can get generator issue sorted out. Any Suggestions?

Currently at 12:40 pm 2958W coming in, using 564W, with 1870W going to the batteries which are at 52..6V 46.1A 31% SOC.

I guess we can"t really say we are off-grid

Can someone tell me how to change my signature to Off-Generator with On-Grid Back-up
                              AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
                                Sorry about all the confusion

This is not a Hybrid System and also not Grid-Tied. In Hawaii the Utility HELCO tells me I have to pay them to upgrade their system in order for me to tie into it, and that the rate they purchase the excess back is 1/3 of what they sell it back to me.

The reason we are still connected to HELCO is because the Remote-Start Module from Honda is not available for the EU7000is yet. When I called in December was told to wait a few weeks, called in January and was told end of the month, called in February and they said call in March now just got off the phone with Honda and was told NO module and They had no answer as to when it would be available. Does anyone know if its the same wiring as the EU6500? We have the Contex AGS module waiting for the Honda module so they can get married and then we can live happily ever after off-grid

No EU6500is available on the Big Island so would have to get one shipped in that's why went with the EU7000is and a Central Maine Diesel Tri-Fuel Kit.

Batteries have only been charged by the sun, the last few days have got them up to about 50% SOC, but what does that mean, since they are Aquion's? Have run them down to 8% SOC and still above 40.0V and have not had inverters cut out or have had any problem with anything not working. Made it through the night starting at 29.4% SOC before going to bed. Just started the washer at 12% SOC, now at 11% SOC @ 47.4V . The array is generating 725W with a load of 537W with 234W going to the batteries. Still running on the Aquion's. BTW we used the dehydrator all night since we had three large bunched get ripe all at the same time.

So in the meantime plan to use HELCO only if we have a < 20% SOC when the sun goes down Had to use roughly 7 hours of HELCO the other night because we have to keep the guests happy. Until we can get generator issue sorted out. Any Suggestions?

Currently at 12:40 pm 2958W coming in, using 564W, with 1870W going to the batteries which are at 52..6V 46.1A 31% SOC.

I guess we can"t really say we are off-grid

Can someone tell me how to change my signature to Off-Generator with On-Grid Back-up
                                Thanks for the update and hopefully you have cleared up some of the confusion about your "grid" connection status.

Seems strange that you can be connected to the grid now but they want you to "upgrade" their system for you to stay connected. Does this have to do with grid sensitivity due to co-generators?

I just read an article concerning SolarEdge inverter hardware now meeting HECO requirements for PV systems. Apparently the new version of inverters have more capability to help stabilize the "grid" with Voltage and Freq control and even power factor or VAR injection. Not sure what that equipment looks like but HECO is now willing to go forward with PV installs if they meet the new requirements. Maybe that is what your POCO is requesting the upgrade to.

Comment

Working...