Help me evolve my setup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me evolve my setup please

My system was born out of being load-shedded (no electricity) for two hours a time, this occurs daily, sometimes less frequently, depending on supply of electricity. Necessity dictated the below equipment. I have:

1000W pure sinewave inverter 12V
    3x100Ah Deep cycle in parallel
    Smart charger that can charge up to 300Ah
    Consumption less than 300W

I would like to incorporate solar to charge my batteries and extend my use to about 6 or 7 hours per night. My constraints are the 12V system, since I will need long cable runs from the roof of my apartment building, eight stories up. I estimate a total run of about 30m from panel to charge controller/battery/inverte. How many panels would I need to sufficiently charge my batteries for the extended use, i.e. 6 hours per eve? Batteries will have approx 9 hours of sun to recharge. Please help me with the solar side?

Welcome.

Being load shed for 2 hours at a time, is not a candidate for solar. Most areas, only have 4 or 5 solar charging hours in the daylight hours.

I'd suggest deciding what your critical loads are, (radio, lights) and plan a computer type UPS for that load, and size the battery & charger for it. If you need more than 1 battery, you may need to consider using 6V golf cart batteries, or a 24V system.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Welcome.

Being load shed for 2 hours at a time, is not a candidate for solar. Most areas, only have 4 or 5 solar charging hours in the daylight hours.

I'd suggest deciding what your critical loads are, (radio, lights) and plan a computer type UPS for that load, and size the battery & charger for it. If you need more than 1 battery, you may need to consider using 6V golf cart batteries, or a 24V system.
      Thank you. I also did not want to do solar for 2 hours a day, but now the plan is to go "off grid" for 6 to 7 hours every night. Here is where the solar comes in. We have loads of sunshine in Cape Town, in fact, today, Cape Town was the hottest place on earth, The sun in africa is cool Consumption already planned and derived at 300W with 300ah batteries and the inverter, just need the right panels, MPPT and cabels.

Comment

Working...
      X