Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service panel upgrade included in tax credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service panel upgrade included in tax credit?

I know I need to talk to my accountant about it, but wondering if people are including the cost of a neccessary service panel upgrade into the qualified PV costs for the federal tax credit. Reading the IRS language I could see an argument for either case.

Originally posted by jerseysun View Post
    I know I need to talk to my accountant about it, but wondering if people are including the cost of a neccessary service panel upgrade into the qualified PV costs for the federal tax credit. Reading the IRS language I could see an argument for either case.
    If it is required for the solar installation then it would count as "Site prep".
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I would say most

I would say most include it. If the intent is to claim the cost of the main panel upgrade have your vendor list it on the contract but not line item the cost. Specify that it is included but attach no dollar amount to it. Yes you should verify with your tax adviser, your deity (if you have one), and this public forum so that if you are investigated the IRS will use your posts here as evidence of fraud and convict you because some unknown poster told you it was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalsolar View Post
        I would say most include it. If the intent is to claim the cost of the main panel upgrade have your vendor list it on the contract but not line item the cost. Specify that it is included but attach no dollar amount to it. Yes you should verify with your tax adviser, your deity (if you have one), and this public forum so that if you are investigated the IRS will use your posts here as evidence of fraud and convict you because some unknown poster told you it was wrong.
        +1. Nicely put,

Comment

Jpm

I used to think you were some cranky old HOA board codger. If we start agreeing on too many things I will have to look at you more like the Emperor and me as Darth Vader.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalsolar View Post
            I used to think you were some cranky old HOA board codger. If we start agreeing on too many things I will have to look at you more like the Emperor and me as Darth Vader.
            Not everyone who tells you what you want to hear is your friend. Not everyone who tells you things you consider unpleasant is your enemy.

FWIW, mine is about the most receptive (or perhaps less negative) HOA in CA with respect to solar energy, largely through my efforts - although I'm pretty sure more than a few vendors see it otherwise. I'd suggest the installs in my HOA are, for the most part, less of a disaster than they would be except for some of my efforts.

The HOA pro bono work is just an adjunct and sideline for me anyway - but with more involvement since I retired. I've been around renewable energy, conservation and solar since the mid '70's as more than a hobby, less than a job, while working as a mechanical/project engineer/manager, designing and providing mostly power generating and ancillary equipment and services to the power and process businesses, including POCOs, oil companies, other energy type businesses, and chemical companies.

So, not only am I a cranky old HOA codger, but I'm also a cranky, curmudgeony, old bastard engineer. Call me Princes Leia if you want. Suit yourself, but I'd prefer that you look at me as the solar vendor's worst nightmare - at least the unqualified, unethical ones.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

Working...
            X