X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OftheSeven
    • Jan 2015

Started solar, now have to do roof

I signed the paperwork for solar (a 4.6kW system - 17 Suniva Opt270 modules and 17 Enphase M215 micro inverters).
    Installation of the roof trac started last week and they said my roof had about 5 years of life left, hmm. Well, one area over a space with no attic (room addition) wasn't as lucky and can't be used in its current condition. All work is on standby now as I wait for roofing estimates.

Of course this throws a wrench into things. It comes down to economics but thinking of three roof options:

1. Address the area that is needed to continue and leave the rest.
    2. Address the area that is needed to continue + the south facing areas where panels will be mounted so I don't have to deal with it in 5 years.
    3. Do the entire roof and rethink solar (but why do the roof now if I'm not doing solar)?

The company I'm using will remove panels at a later date if I'm roofing but I don't know if I should just try to address it all now. Thoughts?
  • Alisobob
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

My solar sits on the south facing side of my 20 year old roof.

This is exactly why I redid the south facing side roof, at the same time I did solar.

Its done, and I dont have to think about it again... ever.

Comment

• deezeela
      • Feb 2015

I was told the preparation work needed for solar is also eligible for 30%

fed. tax credit.

If option 3 is 100% eligible for 30% FTC, I would go for option 3, since only 5 years life left. Otherwise, option 2.

Comment

• HX_Guy
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by deezeela
        fed. tax credit.

If option 3 is 100% eligible for 30% FTC, I would go for option 3, since only 5 years life left. Otherwise, option 2.
        This here.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

When roof maint. is required/chosen (and IMO, always at least something to be considered, and probably done if only as cheap insurance), most often the work is somewhat limited to the area around the array, particularly, and as a min. above and below as well as under the array. I'd check with my tax adviser on applicability/limitations of applying a tax credit to roof maint. Some folks do it, some don't. Point is, qualified opinion from a CPA might throw more weight in an IRS audit than some unvetted opinion found on the net.

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

My accountant said if the solar install disturbed the roof in any way.... then the corrections to the roof in the solar areas are part of the solar "install", and the credit applies.

Outside the solar area, no credit applies.

Comment

• HX_Guy
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
              My accountant said if the solar install disturbed the roof in any way.... then the corrections to the roof in the solar areas are part of the solar "install", and the credit applies.

So looks like option #2 is the winner.

Comment

• OftheSeven
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob

Thanks for the info Bob! So if I do my entire roof, I have to deduct the area not 'affected' by the solar? What if I'm running conduit and electrical related to the panels under the roof area w/o panels on top?

Comment

• HX_Guy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

The solar tax credit is pretty vague. It says the credit applies to "site preparation" and I would assume any part of the roof that solar components lay over would qualify. It's a pretty gray area and I'm actually surprised how little goes into verifying what people spend on solar. It's basically an honor system (though I guess so are taxes in general, but at least those are backed up with W2s, 1099s, etc...whereas with solar it's just a form that you put a dollar amount on...no receipts etc.).

Comment

• thejq
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2014

In general all tax advice you get on this forum is always YMMV. That said, if you can reasonably explain your understanding of the tax code when it comes to audit, even if you're found wrong, you're only required to pay back taxes and maybe nominal interest rate. It's because ignorance is not fraud. It's different from if you intentionally tried to hide something (like other income etc.) or overstating costs (double charging etc.) which could result in huge fines. Also if you're self employed and audit prone, it's better to be extra careful.
                    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by HX_Guy
                      The solar tax credit is pretty vague. It says the credit applies to "site preparation" and I would assume any part of the roof that solar components lay over would qualify. It's a pretty gray area and I'm actually surprised how little goes into verifying what people spend on solar. It's basically an honor system (though I guess so are taxes in general, but at least those are backed up with W2s, 1099s, etc...whereas with solar it's just a form that you put a dollar amount on...no receipts etc.).
                      He is right, just a form you need to fill out on. Solar cost from $3 to $6 per Watt DC installed, so do your own math and find your balance. You need a receipt for your accountant and youself just in case....

Comment

• thastinger
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2012

...whereas with solar it's just a form that you put a dollar amount on...no receipts etc.).
                        And you'd almost be stupid not to take it whether you have PV or not. If you got audited there is nothing to say you didn't have it removed the next day...not what you know, it's what you can prove.
                        1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• HX_Guy
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by thastinger
                          And you'd almost be stupid not to take it whether you have PV or not. If you got audited there is nothing to say you didn't have it removed the next day...not what you know, it's what you can prove.
                          That, would then be fraud. It can be proved pretty easily if you actually had solar (permits).

But I have a feeling you were joking.

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

So looks like option #2 is the winner.
                            Thats what I did....

The North side is supposed to outlast the South side 2:1, according to the roofers I spoke to.

Less sun exposure was the #1 reason given.

My roof should outlive me....

Its poured rain a few times since my install... Zero leaks.

I sleep well at night.

Getting your roof in order before solar , cannot be ignored.

Comment

• Alisobob
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by OftheSeven
                              Thanks for the info Bob! So if I do my entire roof, I have to deduct the area not 'affected' by the solar? What if I'm running conduit and electrical related to the panels under the roof area w/o panels on top?
                              See my original answer.

If it disturbs the roof, I'm taking the credit.

Comment

Working...