How to make a cheap temporary panel with cells I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a cheap temporary panel with cells I have

I plan on buying factory made permanent panels for the house but I need to build a few to use for charging small batteries when on vacation so here goes.

I have 6x6 and 3x6 cells tabbing wire on hand and want to make cheap temporary panels to use a few weeks a year. I really don't want spend the
    time and money to make these for permanent outside instillation. Any suggestions? At this point I don't consider the cells quality worth the effort
    to spend the money to make permanent panels.

Originally posted by chuckinnc View Post
    I plan on buying factory made permanent panels for the house but I need to build a few to use for charging small batteries when on vacation so here goes.

I have 6x6 and 3x6 cells tabbing wire on hand and want to make cheap temporary panels to use a few weeks a year. I really don't want spend the
    time and money to make these for permanent outside instillation. Any suggestions? At this point I don't consider the cells quality worth the effort
    to spend the money to make permanent panels.
    I might do this for fun or the educational experience but not to save money on an electric bill.

Comment

Small battery charging panels are a reasonable use for a small number of cells, calculated to produce the charging voltage you need. But making a panel durable enough to withstand traveling and moisture proofing it well enough to have it last a couple of years is not consistent with "temporary".
      Do it right, as you would for a long term panel or do not do it at all would be my advice.
      That means glass, backing, encapsulation, etc as described in some of the DIY panel threads.
      Having the panel(s) fail while you are on vacation would be really annoying. Unless you did not really need them in the first place.

I rest my case.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
      X