• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sundetective View Post
    Are there any other Aquion Energy AHI Battery experiments going on
    currently besides that little one with the AltE Store and the Great
    Hawaii 'Topcat' Experiment?

There are people, including myself, that want to be believers.

Don't we get one experiment per year of fanfare -

per 10 Million Dollar Bill of OPM (other peoples money) ?

Bill Blake
    Bill

I am sure there are other "experiments" being performed in the field on those batteries but except for what OffGridHawaiin is posting that information is not readily available.

It would have been nice for Aquion to provide more data on their "in house" testing but that is not available as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
      Bill

I am sure there are other "experiments" being performed in the field on those batteries but except for what OffGridHawaiin is posting that information is not readily available.

It would have been nice for Aquion to provide more data on their "in house" testing but that is not available as far as I can tell.
      The last I heard the batteries themselves were not actually available unless
      they had at least 6 weeks. For years the fanfare has been about how easy
      the badboys are to produce compared to so many other types of batteries.

So Aquion, bring in a few pushers and crank up already.
      Any pictures or video clips I see and people look like they like to take it
      real easy on demselves.

Might be time to stop with the meetings and put the bootie out there
      on the Line.

Tighten up a Little and start rolling 2 different shifts.
      Bonus system based on quality and production.

Bill Blake

Comment

The last I heard the batteries themselves were not actually available unless
        they had at least 6 weeks. For years the fanfare has been about how easy
        the badboys are to produce compared to so many other types of batteries.
        Is 6 weeks really a problem? I would wait 6 weeks if I thought this chemistry would work for me. By comparison, if I buy LFP, it may take a month or more to get them. But I know that is the chemistry that best fits my application, and I would gladly wait. Just a thought - this 6 week lead time may be indicative of an issue beyond manpower. Your observation of the fanfare is a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
          Is 6 weeks really a problem? I would wait 6 weeks if I thought this chemistry would work for me. By comparison, if I buy LFP, it may take a month or more to get them. But I know that is the chemistry that best fits my application, and I would gladly wait. Just a thought - this 6 week lead time may be indicative of an issue beyond manpower. Your observation of the fanfare is a good one.
          Fanfare!!! Reminds me of another battery manufacturer.

Comment

Fanfare!!! Reminds me of another battery manufacturer.
            Your observation of fanfare is also a good one, in a different sense.

Comment

Glassdoor says they have some behind the scenes info on Aquion Energy.
              People can get hopeful and excited but then again when it's just
              one fund raiser after another -
              becoming a car dealership
              with no cars - they can just say forget this.
              A deal can only hold air for so long.

Back in the day we only prepared the music for so Long.
              Then it was time for everybody and I mean everybody to hit
              the dance floor.

Wake me up once Sunking figure it all out and tell Aquion to
              Give me a dollar.

Bill Blake

Comment

Glassdoor says they have some behind the scenes info on Aquion Energy.
                People can get hopeful and excited but then again when it's just
                one fund raiser after another -
                becoming a car dealership
                with no cars - they can just say forget this.
                A deal can only hold air for so long.

Back in the day we only prepared the music for so Long.
                Then it was time for everybody and I mean everybody to hit
                the dance floor.

Wake me up once Sunking figure it all out and tell Aquion to
                Give me a dollar.

Bill Blake
                Well Bill all I can tell you is the financials look bad, layoffs occurring, and 3 product revisions in a year. That is enough to scare me off.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Glassdoor says they have some behind the scenes info on Aquion Energy
                  There are only 6 posts there, by alleged current and former employees. There are a couple that sound rather negative, but how to evaluate them? It does give some pause to see an employee say "real product issues" and "BK may be coming". Certainly not a glowing report, but how accurate is it?

The real world data here from Hawaii I can't use for my location. As someone else said, more user data is needed. Has OffGridHawaiian gone off the grid yet; ever had to use his brand new generator?

Comment

pause to see an employee say "real product issues" and "BK may be coming". Certainly not a glowing report, but how accurate is it?
                    Well stop and think.

Last May Aquion lays off employees is confirmed by news reports.

3 Product revisions in less than a year.

Bill Gates had to give them $55 million in January 2015 to stay afloat. Before that mid 2014 $24.6 million from from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers to keep creditors off their backs. According to financial statements they are about 1/4 Billion in the RED HOLE.

I would not be a buyer of the product or stock if they were public. With those numbers, if there was a stock, I would be Shorting as much of it as they would loan me. That would be easy money for nothing.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      Well stop and think.

Last May Aquion lays off employees is confirmed by news reports.

3 Product revisions in less than a year.

Bill Gates had to give them $55 million in January 2015 to stay afloat. Before that mid 2014 $24.6 million from from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers to keep creditors off their backs. According to financial statements they are about 1/4 Billion in the RED HOLE.

I would not be a buyer of the product or stock if they were public. With those numbers, if there was a stock, I would be Shorting as much of it as they would loan me. That would be easy money for nothing.
                      I hadn't followed the news, since I wrote them off for my needs. It all seems consistent though, and a bit bleak, based on what is public. Except for the glowing reports from Hawaii, that is.

Comment

I hadn't followed the news, since I wrote them off for my needs. It all seems consistent though, and a bit bleak, based on what is public. Except for the glowing reports from Hawaii, that is.
                        Well that is from a customer.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                          Well that is from a customer.
                          That IS from a customer. Problem is it is only one, and more important the application far different than mine.

Comment

.36 kwh, wow

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian View Post
                            Spoke with about 5 of the companies with the bright yellow or orange trucks and they all seemed to promise us lower electric bills, but when I mentioned off-grid it stopped their sales pitch immediately. I did some number crunching and it just didn't seem to make sense to let another company own my system, still charge me for electricity, and get the tax breaks.

Our electric rates in Hawaii are .36 per kWh, (now it's probably 10 times that because like Sunking said, something about power from any off-grid system is going to cost you many times more than buying it from the utility). Another company named NextEra out of Florida wants to take over Hawaiian Electric which made $12.2 million in 2014, and from what I've been hearing its not going to change our high rates here in Hawaii. They tell us they want to get into Solar but really the fine print is that they will still control the price. So now we are out of the Loop and I'm happy about that. Sorry about that, had to get that out of my system.

Our system seems to be doing fine, even with our big loads at night. We do use about 20% to 30% of our batteries from when the sun goes down till the morning and the sun starts doing its job.

What are your thoughts about our system being in float-mode from when our batteries reach a full charge? Seems to be wasting a lot of energy like some of you said. Have read the manual and can change the set points for when the system switches back to bulk mode. We are set on 3 stage charging Bulk-Absorption-Float. There is 2 stage charging that has no-float. I think the battery voltage can be set for when to get back to bulk mode. ???
                            And I complain about the electric bill. I'm on a split time scale, meaning from 2pm to 7pm I'm paying more, an average of around nine cents kwh and after around seven cents kwh .07 off peak hours. Yeah, it's gonna be a hobby until I need it, but here's the thought that two to seven is one hot time and thinking I have this 36 volt golf cart sitting during the week, I could easily use it for a few minutes during those peak times, Yeah I know, lots of trouble for a dime per hour. But I"m retired and this might get me off my butt a couple more times a day.
                            I went to check my smart hours page and today I used 36 kwh at a cost of 3 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusMark View Post
                              And I complain about the electric bill. I'm on a split time scale, meaning from 2pm to 7pm I'm paying more, an average of around nine cents kwh and after around seven cents kwh .07 off peak hours.
                              So what are you complaining about. This is one of the lowest rates in the world.

Originally posted by MarcusMark View Post
                              Yeah I know, lots of trouble for a dime per hour. But I"m retired and this might get me off my butt a couple more times a day.
                              I went to check my smart hours page and today I used 36 kwh at a cost of 3 dollars.
                              Take that off-grid and it will cost you $30.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Bill

No need to experiment. The vendor should be collecting data from installed systems. Tesla cars have now driven a billion miles. They have charge/discharge data from every battery every day. Many of the stationary lithium ion vendors will probably do the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X