Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixing valve question

Originally posted by Willy T View Post
    What you have to do is come up with a scheme to utilize the excess production after the system reaches 100% soc. I mentioned a second hot water heater as a possibility that most homes would have. It's set up with zone valves and diversion relays to only come on during high soc situations. You could utilize a 2 stage thermostat where the hot water heater you have temperature is based on time of day with a set back during non production time. A Mixing valve will determine the water temperature at the faucet, you store the water at 170 ° or so.
    I was curious how this would work, so I went looking at mixing valves online at Home Depot. I could envision how your system would work if your diversion tank was always the HOT source, then it seems your other tank would be the less hot source to dilute the temperature to a lower desired valve. But, if several days of cloudy weather prevents you from having excess load to dump into the diversion tank, what happens then? (I can see around that situation with various NO/NC valves, well labeled, and instructions for my wife to use.... perhaps there's a better way). I have assumed the mixing valve didn't also work backwards if the normally HOT source happens to be cold and the COLD source makes a better hot... either I'm wrong, or there is some special kind of mixing valve out there?

Comment

I took a simpler route and have the tanks in series, the tank with the solar input is a tempering tank and is first in line. The regular 240v tank is second in line and is the hot water output. If the solar tank drops below the set temperature it will automatically come on with it's thermostat ( 125 ° ). I have the mixing valve after the 240v tank. The solar tank can get as high as 170 ° summer and around 130-140 ° in the winter and I have seen it at 60 ° if I get 5-6 days of bad weather. So the valve only has one hot water input and will temper above 115 °.

I only have 2 people in my house, so I envisioned a more complicated system with the 3 way valves for the op.

Comment

Mixing valve

Willy-T,thanks. 2 in series will work for the first wo of us too..

InMichigan

Comment

Originally posted by donald View Post
          The objection to lead is mostly the mining.
          As more and more lead batteries are recycled, less mining will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Johann View Post
            As more and more lead batteries are recycled, less mining will be required.
            More and more batteries are used - more mining required.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Home Power Magazine has an article in this month's issue about using a diversion load to utilize extra power on sunny days. Your charge controller has an Aux out that can trigger a relay to power a water heater heating element. You could get a DC element to run off the batteries, or an AC one through the inverter. I would think you're doing a lot of laundry with a guest house, may be worth while, rather than just having the solar turn off.
              Solar Queen
              altE Store

Comment

Thanks for sharing your system with us. What part of the Big Island do you live? I'm located in North Kohala (Hawi) and would love to see your system and talk story. I'm really interested in how you like the Aquion batteries. Aloha...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawi View Post
                  Thanks for sharing your system with us. What part of the Big Island do you live? I'm located in North Kohala (Hawi) and would love to see your system and talk story. I'm really interested in how you like the Aquion batteries. Aloha...
                  Aloha Hawi,

We live in Honalo, close to Teshima's Restaurant. So far everything has been working GREAT . Haven't changed a thing from when we were using Helco. About the Aquions, kinda missing looking at them. Once the battery box was completed, haven't looked at them since. Really liking the No-Maintenance part

Let me know when you are heading out our way, would be happy to talk story. Just PM me.

Aloha
                  AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Real nice thread OffGridHawiian,

Free electric might need free enterprise.
                    With the high Local poverty rate and what have you I'm guessing
                    That a Home Occupancy Business License may be no problem.
                    Part time help may be ready and willing.

Then you had Mrs. Teshima Living till 106 years old eating that
                    great food your right on top of.
                    Old Bill hears some people
                    just Loves the heck out of their new 1800 watt portable
                    Induction Cooktops and how they makes their Canners and
                    Pressure Cookers 'talk'.

How many of those badboys would it take to suck up that extra power?
                    Or Hawaiian goodie electric dehydrators.

Slow boat to Honolulu is waiting on your goods right now.
                    Not to mention "Right Where You Are" like the Legendary
                    Doctor Napoleon Hill would have said.

'Solar Powered Teshima Snacks by TopCat'

Bill Blake

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian View Post
                    Aloha Hawi,

We live in Honalo, close to Teshima's Restaurant. So far everything has been working GREAT . Haven't changed a thing from when we were using Helco. About the Aquions, kinda missing looking at them. Once the battery box was completed, haven't looked at them since. Really liking the No-Maintenance part

Let me know when you are heading out our way, would be happy to talk story. Just PM me.

Aloha

Comment

It's a shame that you have one of the most innovative battery systems ever offered and
                      no one seems to have asked any technical questions.

OffGridHI - can you tell us a little more about performance compared to the batteries
                      you had before ? What are the charge / discharge rates ? Are you using the same charge
                      controller as before ? And did Aquion have any recommendations about charge controllers -
                      seems to be that the behavior of these batteries has to differ in some significant ways
                      from what has been used before ?

I am very interested in these - contacted Aquion direct last year but have not pulled the
                      trigger yet - one of my main concerns being that I live in an area of actual WINTER weather
                      and what would happen when / if the temps in my battery storage room dropped below freezing.
                      I'm assuming that this would destroy the Aquions.

Looking forward to any first hand info you can give us.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kochevnik View Post
                        It's a shame that you have one of the most innovative battery systems ever offered and
                        no one seems to have asked any technical questions.
                        This subject has been beaten to death already. Nothing innovative at all about them.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                          This subject has been beaten to death already. Nothing innovative at all about them.
                          However Sunking it was only this week on 4/21/15 that it was proclaimed
                          Throughout The Land that the Aquion Energy AHI Batteries are the first ever
                          to become:

'Cradle to Cradle Certified'.

This as of The 2nd AHI Generation.
                          You have been elegantly stepping and stomping on the
                          First AHI Battery Generation.

Old Bill has been meekly asking around a bit about the next
                          3rd AHI Generation coming up.

Bill Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Sundetective View Post
                            Old Bill has been meekly asking around a bit about the next3rd AHI Generation coming up.
                            Bill Blake
                            Bill - You confuse spreading BS with fact - as is normal for you.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Sundetective View Post
                              However Sunking it was only this week on 4/21/15 that it was proclaimed
                              Throughout The Land that the Aquion Energy AHI Batteries are the first ever
                              to become:

'Cradle to Cradle Certified'.

This as of The 2nd AHI Generation.
                              You have been elegantly stepping and stomping on the
                              First AHI Battery Generation.

Old Bill has been meekly asking around a bit about the next
                              3rd AHI Generation coming up.

Bill Blake
                              Bill why is it a battery company only 4 years old, with less than 1 year of sales under their belt are on their 3rd product revision? How can a battery company with less than 1 year worth of product claim 10,000 cycle life and have to already have 3 revisions of their product line? What was wrong with the fist two revisions?

Please tell us Ole Bill as inquiring minds want to know why Shinola smells like **** and looks like a Rat.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                                Bill why is it a battery company only 4 years old, with less than 1 year of sales under their belt are on their 3rd product revision? How can a battery company with less than 1 year worth of product claim 10,000 cycle life and have to already have 3 revisions of their product line? What was wrong with the fist two revisions?

Please tell us Ole Bill as inquiring minds want to know why Shinola smells like **** and looks like a Rat.
                                Old Bill is spreading it as per usual - all chatter with no substance
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X