Is this a good choice for off grid system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OffGridHawaiian
    • Feb 2015

Is this a good choice for off grid system?

Aloha Everyone,

Newbie to Off Grid Solar. Just had system installed and have been running for about three weeks. 2 Schneider XW+ 6848-NA 120/240 48V 6800W CONTINUOUS, 8500W30min Inverter, with integrated Power Distribution Panel, and 3XWMPPT80-600Vdc Charge Controller,s 44 LG Optronics 265W High Efficiency Mono-crystalline PV Modules (or equivalent) with 25 year Warranty , 11.66 kWdc Array producing an annual average of 16-54 kWH per day. **24 AQUION ENERGY Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI), Benign Salt WaterBatteryS10 Stack’s in a 48V parallel configuration, with 44 usable kWH’s of storage,with 100% DoD capability, and 2 year full replacement warranty. and a Honda EU7000si running on propane.

Do you think I made a good choice?
    AlmostOffGridHawaiian
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by OffGridHawaiian
    What is your expected electricity consumption? What did you pay for the system?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Voc for those panels is 38.3. To get 15 panels in a string on each controller, they must be designing around a low temp in the range of 59-67 deg F, with a 1.04 correction per 690.7. For Hawaii, that is probably OK.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Living Large
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Aloha Everyone,

Newbie to Off Grid Solar. Just had system installed and have been running for about three weeks. 2 Schneider XW+ 6848-NA 120/240 48V 6800W CONTINUOUS, 8500W30min Inverter, with integrated Power Distribution Panel, and 3XWMPPT80-600Vdc Charge Controller,s 44 LG Optronics 265W High Efficiency Mono-crystalline PV Modules (or equivalent) with 25 year Warranty , 11.66 kWdc Array producing an annual average of 16-54 kWH per day. **24 AQUION ENERGY Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI), Benign Salt WaterBatteryS10 Stack’s in a 48V parallel configuration, with 44 usable kWH’s of storage,with 100% DoD capability, and 2 year full replacement warranty. and a Honda EU7000si running on propane.

Welcome. You can't go to 100% DOD and still run your inverters. The XW6848 works down to 42V. So even though your batteries can go down to 30V, you'll never get there. Your usable battery bank range may be 44V to 59V, taking into account system losses. That quoted 44 usable kWH may take into account not going under 40V, since some of their data sheets are oriented towards solar users. I believe the nameplate capacity of 24 stacks is over 50 kWH.

That's quite a system. There are several people interested in hearing about real-world performance of AHI batteries, including myself. One metric of interest is how long it takes to charge if the sun isn't shining. Does that ever happen in Hawaii? What is your daily usage in kWH?

ps You are the best judge of if you made the right choice, IMO

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sensij
          What is your expected electricity consumption? What did you pay for the system?
          Aloha sensij,

Currently we are averaging 4.0 kHw daily. 75.1 kWh weekly according to the Contex Com Box summary. Total cost with the generator and a concrete pad was $91,000.
          AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Aloha sensij,

Currently we are averaging 4.0 kHw daily. 75.1 kWh weekly according to the Contex Com Box summary. Total cost with the generator and a concrete pad was $91,000.
            Somewhere the numbers went strange! You are talking about 4 mWh/year - and a 91,000$ investment?
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Aloha sensij,

Wow. Only 4.0 kWh a day from the battery system. The home you described in the other thread is very big so I presume most of the electric usage is during the day and supplied by your solar array so you use much less at night.

Comment

• Living Large
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Aloha sensij,

Is there a typo - 4kWH daily would be 28 weekly.

4kWH seems quite low for the system size. Do you plan for that to increase?

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Living Large
                  Is there a typo - 4kWH daily would be 28 weekly.

4kWH seems quite low for the system size. Do you plan for that to increase?
                  I missed that. You are correct.

A weekly usage of 75.1 kWh would be a daily average of 10.7 kWh not 4.0kWh. Either there is a typo or his "week" is longer than 7 days.

Comment

• Living Large
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    I missed that. You are correct.

A weekly usage of 75.1 kWh would be a daily average of 10.7 kWh not 4.0kWh. Either there is a typo or his "week" is longer than 7 days.
                    I am interested i knowing what daily usage this was designed for - I am going to guess about 10KWh a day, with about 5 to 6 days of autonomy. I believe AHI can charge at 0.2C - which 24 stacks @ about 50 Ah a piece would get with his 11.7 kWH panel output.

So perhaps the 4 kWH daily is a typo.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

I am interested i knowing what daily usage this was designed for - I am going to guess about 10KWh a day, with about 5 to 6 days of autonomy. I believe AHI can charge at 0.2C - which 24 stacks @ about 50 Ah a piece would get with his 11.7 kWH panel output.

So perhaps the 4 kWH daily is a typo.
                      I agree. Especially when he described the home as having 9 guest rooms and fully occupied. That 4 kWh seems low unless no one turns on the lights or watches TV at night.

My house is 4 bedrooms ~ 2300 sq ft. and has already consumed about 32 kWh (~ 2kW/hr) with only 2 people in it for most of the day. Most of that consumption is probably due to the heater being on because it is a little cool outside.

I'm still interested in the AHI technology and hope to learn more of what it can provide through someone first hand.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

I believe AHI can charge at 0.2C
                        Where did you pick that number up at? .2C = C/5. FLA cannot be charged that fast, and with AHI much higher Ri maximum charge rate is more like C/15 to C/20.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                          Where did you pick that number up at? .2C = C/5. FLA cannot be charged that fast, and with AHI much higher Ri maximum charge rate is more like C/15 to C/20.
                          A lack of memory of what you stated 2 months ago, a too quick look at the data sheet and an invalid assumption, coupled with being a novice. I erred, plain and simple.

I found an Aqueon white paper that discusses a C/16 rate, though it isn't clear this is a spec. That is all I could find. That is consistent with your range.

Assuming C/16, that would be about a 75 A charge current for 24 stacks at 50 Ah per stack, or only 3600 W. Now I am wondering why the array is so large.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

A lack of memory of what you stated 2 months ago, a too quick look at the data sheet and an invalid assumption, coupled with being a novice. I erred, plain and simple.
                            I figure that out, just wanted you to go back and look where you went off the track. A good teacher will make you find the answer because you will not forget it.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• OffGridHawaiian
                              • Feb 2015

Wrong Number

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              I agree. Especially when he described the home as having 9 guest rooms and fully occupied. That 4 kWh seems low unless no one turns on the lights or watches TV at night.

My house is 4 bedrooms ~ 2300 sq ft. and has already consumed about 32 kWh (~ 2kW/hr) with only 2 people in it for most of the day. Most of that consumption is probably due to the heater being on because it is a little cool outside.

I'm still interested in the AHI technology and hope to learn more of what it can provide through someone first hand.
                              Sorry about that, average kWh per day varies between 14kWh to 20kWh . Today's usage from 12 midnight to 9pm is 21.2kWh.

Guests leave lights on all the time. Just came from upstairs and one guest has 2 ceiling fans with 3 lights each running on high and she's downstairs in the kitchen. The washing machine is running now, the microwave and a hairdrier just switched on. 3800 W load.

No TV in the house but we have 2 computers running our bioresonance software 24/7
                              AlmostOffGridHawaiian

Comment

Working...