Fair market value of solar system at end of lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    Again, depending on the situation, maybe not much to lose by takin' a shot at negotiating a few more bucks out of it.
    Oh, I agree, more power to them if they can do it. Get a Kirby vacuum salesman, put him on 100% commission - and make it big enough - and I'm sure it will work in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by solarbogle View Post
      I am in the SAME exact situation. I am trying to decide between prepaying a 20 year lease or buying a the system outright. I've decided that I don't know and NO ONE knows what will happen at the end of the lease. Worst case scenario, they come and take the system. Best case scenario, it still works and you get it for free. The upside to leasing is everything is covered for 20 years and you don't have to fork out the +30% and wait for tax credit time. The downside is of course, the unknown at the end of the lease.

Upside to buying with cash is you own. Downside is the warrant isn't as good.

I've been talking to Solar City and Sun Run. They both push the lease. I finally asked what the advantage to them is for a lease. Apparently they have tax advantages for owning the equipment and being able to use them as a tax tool to write off the equipment as it depreciates yearly. This makes sense and it is something a homeowner can't do.

I am torn between the two. If I had to gamble, I would gamble that in 20 years no company will pay for the labor to remove my system. Plus, if they damage anything taking it down (like my roof) I will likely be suing.
      My understanding is that they keep the 30% federal tax credit.

Comment

That is why I just joined this forum. I had sun run give me a quote, but they could only get me 75% coverage.

Comment

Working...
        X