Encapsulating with EVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for EVA

Is there a USA source for EVA Film all I can find on ebay is Canada with some pretty steep shipping charges.
    Larry Pierce
    Brazil, Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      They work, but you have to keep the oil in circulation, or the motor burns out quickly..

There are little "Dentist office" vacuum/pressure pumps that run a couple 100 $ new, that will pull a pretty decent vacuum too
      My wife works in the heating and cooling industry. I have access to a freon recapturing unit. It basically just, gently, pulls down the freon. I wonder if i could use that unit to pull a vacuum? Its pretty small, a little less the size of a 5 gallon gas can with a 1/4" hose. I think its made to pull a vacuum.
      Any thoughts/experiences?

Comment

Sandman57 material on solar panel will pay cash. @(617)319-5326

Hi sandman57

I live in boston and would like to make solar by myself. I complete pv installation course but having little knowledge on material. Can you help me? My email tpt0804ATyahoo.com
        Cell (617)319-5326

I'll pay cash for information

Thank you
        James tran

mod note - please don't post your email on this public board, the world and google can see it .
        Last edited by Mike90250; 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM. Reason: un-link email

Comment

solar panel

Originally posted by UnitedSolar View Post
          Hi sandman57

I live in boston and would like to make solar by myself. I complete pv installation course but having little knowledge on material. Can you help me? My email tpt0804ATyahoo.com
          Cell (617)319-5326

I'll pay cash for information

Thank you
          James tran

mod note - please don't post your email on this public board, the world and google can see it .
          -------------------------------------
          united solar, I bought my 3x6 cells off ebay, and i made my panels just like a thermopane window,and used Silca to take up any moisture that would be in the air. works great, Also i put liquid with UV protection encapulation on the celles. Just brush it on and let it dry.
          Im getting anywere from 14 to 22 volts out of a 36 cell panel.

Comment

I need to know the material like Eva, tedlar and air out

If anyone can help me understand material and show me how to build like a professional. I'l pay cash for the knowledge. I live in Boston ma (617)319-5326

Comment

I believe there are many videos on you tube and instructions on Buildit solar
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Eva, to cover back of panels or no

Like many I have been cruising the forums, pricing materials etc.
                My main concern is the eva process and covering the back of the panel with an expensive product like Tedlar to control moisture which manufacturer states should be vacuum sealed and cooked.
                I have watched the fellows videos on youtube, he sells the frames and glass that others here have posted about.

My question is this fellow that seems to know a great deal about the construction and the eva process but leaves his personal panels with the eva coating only. He lives in Alabama not far from me where humidity is often +70%.
                I would like to know if anyone else has tried just leaving the panels uncoated on the back with only eva in high humidity areas and what results they have had.
                Seems a much simpler way to do this and heat being a major factor in the equation I am thinking that unbacked would be the way to go. Thanks in advance.

btw this fellow uses a table with a large hole in it so he can see the other side of the panel and a vibrator attached to it to help with the spreading and coverage of the eva process.
                I have not yet seen this stated anywhere in the forums and having workd with a lot of fiberglass the use of a vibrator is a real good idea. The hole in the table is trick as well. The link above shows this last step in a 3 part video.

Comment

Eva is white plastic
                  edited to add the above is NOT right, I meant to type TEDLAR is white plastic.

the video guy you are talking does NOT use eva he is using sylgard, probably the most expensive solar encapsulant ever made.
                  I've made panels with dow 6010 and it works fine and even though the moderators on this forum who have probably never made a panel will tell you it will fail based on their theoretical guesses

I've never had an issue with mine.

Would you rather get information from someone who has actually done it or people that think it can't be done who sit in front of their computer searching the net for info to support their view?
                  Last edited by Alan; 06-19-2011, 12:28 AM. Reason: edited to add the above is NOT right, I meant to type TEDLAR is white plastic.

Comment

Alan - Straighten up and fly right or fly elsewhere.

Your advice is based only on your own and short term experiences.

Russ
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

first hand experience is always the best.

too bad more people dont have it

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        Eva is white plastic
                        EVA is basically a sheet of hot melt glue, needing a vacuum laminator to apply properly
                        (look for the link at fieldlines for a way to do it at home)

TEDLAR is a special, water vapor proof plastic used to seal the backsides of panels. Glass seals the front.

EVA is glue, Tedlar is vapor proof. - From a guy who never made a panel at home.

My only duty to to alert neophytes to methods that are
                        a) proven to not last long term >5 years
                        b) what is used in industry to make >20 year warranty panels.

Few, if any, paints and silicones are water vapor proof. (includes lexan, poycarbonate, epoxies and plywood)
                        Last edited by Mike90250; 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

first hand experience is always the best.

too bad more people dont have it
                          I don't have first hand experience at many things including bullfighting (avoiding BS is different - lots of experience there) but I really don't want any experience at bull fighting either.

Why would anyone want experience building panels today - when you can buy factory made panels cheaper?

Great for a science project or in a country where there are import duties or restrictions I suppose but getting the fancy sealants in those locations is difficult as well.

Russ
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks Alan

[QUOTE=Alan;26075]Eva is white plastic

I'm sorry perhaps I got confused, I thought the EVA was the resin the guy in the video was using, I came up with a DOW resin when googled, but regardless that is the exact encapsulation information I was asking for and I thank you for it.

One thing I have noticed in this forum is there seems to be much more of
                            "you shouldn't do that" "buy a professional panel" "professional install" etc. than anything resembling real help from people that have done it and are offering real advice for the do it your selfer.

I can only assume that these folks sell and install "professional" panels from others.

You may be moderators and ranking members but I was led to believe this was a forum for those that actually wanted to do it themselves and were asking advice of others that had actually done it and succeeded.

There are actually many of us out here that are not as lame and stupid as you seem to think, we only lack material knowledge.

If you are going to respond to someone that asks for help doing it themselves, either do that or don't bother to respond in DIY forums.

You may think you are being enlightening but most of what I have read from those I address is basically negative and unhelpful in a DIY forum.

Wouldn't your time be better spent enhancing your web page from where you sell your "skills" and "professional panels" or perhaps advertising your "skills" in another venue?

Maybe not everyone can afford a professional panel installed by a "professional", maybe don't care about tax credits, maybe feel they can and want to take a chance on their own skills to bring something about. I certainly do, I can and will.
                            Flame away.
                            Thanks again Alan

Comment

Have fun!

Some decent looking DIY systems are made by capable types that have the tools and enjoy DIY. You can find some here is you look.

That covered less than 1% of the population - for the rest buying is by far the better, cheaper and safer choice that allows access to the subsidies and incentives.

Why in the world would I want to waste my time surfing the net reading up on DIY - I have zero interest in it.

If you don't like us so much - find another place. I really get a kick out of the type of person that walks in the room and says, 'OK - I am here and I may be new but here is what I think and how you have to do it'.

One forum I belong to people have to use their name - not the cute little things people like to use.

Retired and have never solar any solar materials. I do use solar thermal on new homes we build as a pass time. For many years I ran large construction project at different locations around the world. I got accustomed to listening to the stories about how people can do things and seeing the results.

Russ
                              Last edited by russ; 06-18-2011, 01:28 AM. Reason: added
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

[QUOTE=flwildman;26089]

One thing I have noticed in this forum is there seems to be much more of
                                "you shouldn't do that" "buy a professional panel" "professional install" etc. than anything resembling real help from people that have done it and are offering real advice for the do it your selfer.

I can only assume that these folks sell and install "professional" panels from others.

You may be moderators and ranking members but I was led to believe this was a forum for those that actually wanted to do it themselves and were asking advice of others that had actually done it and succeeded. ......
                                Actually, I don't sell a thing, I'm an electronics engineer, and build satellites. (most have PV panels on them!)
                                I'm here to "keep it real" so the actual scammers selling snake oil, don't.
                                One side pushes the " build a PV panel to power your house and cut the electric company off, for $30 in junkyard parts." On this board, and others, I've seen the results of that: "I've got no money, the solar panel does not work, and my water pipes froze. What did I do wrong?"
                                Panels are great to build, to learn how they work. I discourage folks from buying and building $800 worth of parts, before they have built a trial one.
                                There are no "A" grade cells for sale on ebay (ok, at some point, some will get bootlegged out of a factory, but it is the rare exception), all the A grade get sold to panel mfg's, and the rejects are the ones you find on ebay and "replace the grid with this mystery box" kits.

And since there are no UL listed DIY panels, nor plug-in GT inverters, I tell folks, it seems like a good idea, but even if there are no inspectors, building codes, or insurance in your neighborhood, the electric grid will seldom knowingly allow any of these to be hooked up, and can / will disconnect you. Whoops. At least they are warned.

And I've got a yard full of store bought solar patio lights, with resin encapsulated cells on them, that are dead, no solar recharge. I just charge up batteries and let them run for a day or 3.

So the commercial panel mfg's have the recipe, I can share it, but can't make anyone use it. I've endorsed the fieldlines link someone posted, as a great way to make pretty reliable panels.

And I'm pretty sure most DIY panel makers, don't publish their failures, just the successes. We have one person here, that says he's had success with his method. Great, I'm still not a believer, but i'm glad he's having a good time.

You will find in any field, any honest professional will tell your the up side and down side of things, and salesmen and hucksters only show the upside.

And how do you deal with trying to help someone with a 80V panel, and they tossed the instructions for working a meter? If I say get someone to help you, I'm evading? or if I say plug red lead to the red cable, and they stuff it into the yellow, and die because they grabbed one wire in each hand, I can end up in jail for "bad advice". So I have to try to give references to somebody elses page with "advice".

going to bed now.
                                Mike
                                Last edited by Mike90250; 06-18-2011, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X