Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amy@altE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

The charge controllers will manage charging the batteries with solar, and the inverter/charger will manage charging them through the genny. Both will do a multi-stage charging algorithm that will treat the batteries well. Depending on which batteries you use, 5-7 years is quite reasonable.
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Cult of Dionysus
      Yup, that was a bit of a curveball thrown my way, but I shouldn't have taken one posters input as gospel.
      You thought I was just trying to beat you up. Not my intent I was trying to give you an Attitude Adjustment Upside the Head with a 2 x 4 before you did something stupid. Now you know I was right in making you rethink things. I have been designing electrical power generation systems professionally for 37 years.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Amy@altE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
        You thought I was just trying to beat you up. Not my intent I was trying to give you an Attitude Adjustment Upside the Head with a 2 x 4 before you did something stupid. Now you know I was right in making you rethink things. I have been designing electrical power generation systems professionally for 37 years.
        I think he was referring to an old post in the summer where he was told he could do load shifting to minimize his battery bank, but took it too far.
        Solar Queen
        altE Store

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Living Large
          .... Then what about noise level. Lower RPM = quieter, generally speaking. Sizing the generator properly - at what load is it most efficient? 230V/115V or 115V? These are all things to think about, depending on your situation. FYI - I found researching generators pretty tedious.
          Beware generator sound enclosures, if not done right, they will cook your genset.

Look at a pair of the Honda 4Kw gensets (non inverter types) they have electric start and are supposed to be pretty quiet, and are well engineered. They may even have conversion kits to propane.

Generator efficiency. It's not Volts, it's measured in watts or Kwatts. 1,000watts = 1Kw Most generators are efficient at about 80 or 90% of their continuous rating (not their peak surge rating)
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
            Generator efficiency. It's not Volts, it's measured in watts or Kwatts. 1,000watts = 1Kw Most generators are efficient at about 80 or 90% of their continuous rating (not their peak surge rating)
            I don't know if you were addressing me or not. I was listing parameters to consider. I mentioned voltage to warn the poster that generators come in different flavors voltage-wise, so he'd keep that in mind depending on if he plans a 115V or 230V system.

Comment

• Cult of Dionysus
              • Jul 2014

Look at a pair of the Honda 4Kw gensets (non inverter types) they have electric start and are supposed to be pretty quiet, and are well engineered. They may even have conversion kits to propane. .
              My understanding was that only the smaller Honda generators can be paired (3Kw and below)...

Not at all. I had some misconceptions (supported by a general level of ignorance) that were preventing me from accepting what you were saying. FYI, I had skimmed all the stickies last year and again before posting my OP, but this stuff isn't simple by any measure. It's like if you'd come to me for some legal advice (I'm a lawyer), and I give you some case law... You can read it, and you will get some points, but that doesn't mean you could effectively handle whatever the underlying issue was yourself.

The guidance from you and everyone else has been very helpful.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Look at a pair of the Honda 4Kw gensets (non inverter types) they have electric start and are supposed to be pretty quiet, and are well engineered. They may even have conversion kits to propane. .
                I didn't mean connected to run in parallel, I meant 2 of them, to be used alternate days, always having a backup.

Currently, my 80yr old diesel genset is running, and my new diesel genset with 50 hours on it, has been in the repair shop for 3 months with governor issues. And the injector is carbonated up. If you have batteries, you need genset$.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  Beware generator sound enclosures, if not done right, they will cook your genset.

Look at a pair of the Honda 4Kw gensets (non inverter types) they have electric start and are supposed to be pretty quiet, and are well engineered. They may even have conversion kits to propane.

Mike

I agree with you. A safe and working sound proof enclosures requires the proper amount of air flow to both feed the combustion process and cool the generator. On top of that the exhaust from the generator needs to be vented and possibly extended above 6' so people aren't affected by them.

Comment

• Living Large
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by acrel-bms
                    Is a BMS installed on the system?
                    Why? Does he need one?

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

16 Rolls S550 batteries

These are lead-acid batteries, and do not need a BMS, mr acrel-bms (unless there is money left over and instead of a beer, he wants a BMS).

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

acrel-bms was a Chinese salesman - now history.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by russ
                          acrel-bms was a Chinese salesman - now history.
                          Excellent!

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by russ
                            He has a very large system due to his northern location - it is designed to get a reasonable amount of generation in the winter - it is over sized most of the year so that works great for him.
                            Not been here in awhile - been busy with other stuff. But seen this thread and wanted to inject some info.

The reason our system works, and we can have an all-electric off-grid home is because we use a peaking generator and extensive use of wind power in the winter time (7.5 kW Bergey Excel-R which we put in two years ago). That turbine can easily produce 60 kWh/day at moderate wind speeds in the winter when it's needed most. We actually have a fairly small battery bank for a 25-30 kWh/day off-grid home at only 1156ah. But, when high-draw loads come on so the inverter is operating in overload it starts the genset and shifts the load from the inverter to the generator. We use a quite small 4.0 kVA genset, the inverter is sine wave sync'd on both phases (split-phase power) with the genset, so the genset carries the first 4.0 kVA of the load and the inverter carries the rest. This takes the load off the battery bank so Puekert Effect don't sack the bank out and we keep the discharge rate at reasonable levels at peak load. And saves on fuel because we don't need a 10 kW genset to support a 10 kW load when the generator is operating. And saves on inverters because we don't need stacked inverters to carry 10 kW intermittent loads. And saves on batteries because we don't need a big battery bank to support stacked inverters. And saves on solar panels and wind turbines because we don't need a bunch of controllers and extra expense to properly charge a big battery bank.

Sure, it means burning generator fuel to support loads over 6 kW. But for us, big deal. Off-grid living is not cheap in the first place and we're not short on money. So a $150/month generator fuel bill for 5 months of the year to support our peak loads is not a big deal for us.

And yes, our system is grossly over-sized for the summer months and we run central A/C in our house just to use it up. BUT - the generator is still used in summer too to support peak loads at times. Just our peak loads are higher in winter than in summer because in winter my wife uses the electric clothes dryer, for instance, where in summer she uses the clothes line. And we cook outside on the grille in summer instead of using the electric range in the kitchen. As a couple examples. It's 20 below zero here in the winter time, so that also means the gensets are preheated 24 hours a day for when they're needed - more power consumption. The days are short, so that means longer hours inside running lights, and more time spent in my shop using lots of power. And on and on.

So I designed our system to use the smallest battery bank that is feasible, and use generators to support it when otherwise more inverters and batteries would be needed. Batteries are most expensive thing for off-grid power. Not generators. Generators are cheap (in the off-grid world). None of it is cheap compared to the world of utility power. While we live here off-grid for the last 15 years at about what it would cost for someone to live in California on peak power rates, that is only out-of-pocket expense. We got close to $100 Grand invested in the equipment, wiring, controls, monitoring and misc to produce that power. And that's what makes off-grid power expensive because all that equipment has to be maintained, eventually replaced or upgraded. I put the pencil to it and figured out that we can buy like 6 generators and run a pipeline from the Bakken Oil Field to fuel 'em for less than what a battery bank costs.
                            off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
                              Not been here in awhile - been busy with other stuff. But seen this thread and wanted to inject some info.

The reason our system works, and we can have an all-electric off-grid home is because we use a peaking generator and extensive use of wind power in the winter time (7.5 kW Bergey Excel-R which we put in two years ago). That turbine can easily produce 60 kWh/day at moderate wind speeds in the winter when it's needed most. We actually have a fairly small battery bank for a 25-30 kWh/day off-grid home at only 1156ah. But, when high-draw loads come on so the inverter is operating in overload it starts the genset and shifts the load from the inverter to the generator. We use a quite small 4.0 kVA genset, the inverter is sine wave sync'd on both phases (split-phase power) with the genset, so the genset carries the first 4.0 kVA of the load and the inverter carries the rest. This takes the load off the battery bank so Puekert Effect don't sack the bank out and we keep the discharge rate at reasonable levels at peak load. And saves on fuel because we don't need a 10 kW genset to support a 10 kW load when the generator is operating. And saves on inverters because we don't need stacked inverters to carry 10 kW intermittent loads. And saves on batteries because we don't need a big battery bank to support stacked inverters. And saves on solar panels and wind turbines because we don't need a bunch of controllers and extra expense to properly charge a big battery bank.

Sure, it means burning generator fuel to support loads over 6 kW. But for us, big deal. Off-grid living is not cheap in the first place and we're not short on money. So a $150/month generator fuel bill for 5 months of the year to support our peak loads is not a big deal for us.

And yes, our system is grossly over-sized for the summer months and we run central A/C in our house just to use it up. BUT - the generator is still used in summer too to support peak loads at times. Just our peak loads are higher in winter than in summer because in winter my wife uses the electric clothes dryer, for instance, where in summer she uses the clothes line. And we cook outside on the grille in summer instead of using the electric range in the kitchen. As a couple examples. It's 20 below zero here in the winter time, so that also means the gensets are preheated 24 hours a day for when they're needed - more power consumption. The days are short, so that means longer hours inside running lights, and more time spent in my shop using lots of power. And on and on.

So I designed our system to use the smallest battery bank that is feasible, and use generators to support it when otherwise more inverters and batteries would be needed. Batteries are most expensive thing for off-grid power. Not generators. Generators are cheap (in the off-grid world). None of it is cheap compared to the world of utility power. While we live here off-grid for the last 15 years at about what it would cost for someone to live in California on peak power rates, that is only out-of-pocket expense. We got close to $100 Grand invested in the equipment, wiring, controls, monitoring and misc to produce that power. And that's what makes off-grid power expensive because all that equipment has to be maintained, eventually replaced or upgraded. I put the pencil to it and figured out that we can buy like 6 generators and run a pipeline from the Bakken Oil Field to fuel 'em for less than what a battery bank costs.
                              Welcome back Chris.

You have provided very good explanation and some detail on the costs off grid living. Most newbies believe they can save money by disconnecting from the bad POCO but in the end will spend more.

For people like you that choose to live "off grid" it is not due to financial reasons, it is a choice of life style that you prefer and are willing to pay the cost to live that way.

I hope you were able to get out of the cold North for a while and enjoy the warmer weather down South while cruising around in you boat.

Comment

• Living Large
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                                Welcome back Chris.

You have provided very good explanation and some detail on the costs off grid living. Most newbies believe they can save money by disconnecting from the bad POCO but in the end will spend more.
                                Chris was generous with his time and advice in my first few days here via IM and email (thanks again, Chris). It became apparent quickly that what he calls "gen support" didn't really apply to me, but in the process he opened my eyes to several considerations and got me started.

I found the YouTube video of his system in action, with electric appliances steaming away, impressive. I still am amazed at his ability to have an electric oven and dryer steaming away.

Comment

Working...