Lights for workshop and barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights for workshop and barn

Can you advise me on what size LED light/lights would be suitable for over a workshop bench? My barn/shop has no power and I'm confused about what size LEDS to use. Thank you.

If you already have power to your shop/barn, don't bother with solar.

Just saw an ad for this - http://www.bigasslight.com/products/garage-light/ They say it will work for any/every body. Right!!

For plain 12V, there are 12V LED bulbs for campers and vans. Also look at Candlepower Forums
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php
    They have a lot of reviews for light bulbs
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      If you already have power to your shop/barn, don't bother with solar.

Just saw an ad for this - http://www.bigasslight.com/products/garage-light/ They say it will work for any/every body. Right!!

For plain 12V, there are 12V LED bulbs for campers and vans. Also look at Candlepower Forums
      http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php
      They have a lot of reviews for light bulbs
      Thanks Mike, no I have no power to this barn. I'm going to try a 80 watt unit from ebay just to get a feel for what might work.

Comment

Originally posted by plowboy View Post
        Can you advise me on what size LED light/lights would be suitable for over a workshop bench? My barn/shop has no power and I'm confused about what size LEDS to use. Thank you.
        If you had normal power in the barn there are LED lights that will work.

I replaced the lamps in a open fluorescent fixture with 2 34watt lamps above my work bench with 2 20 watt LED lamps. I just removed the ballast and re-wired the existing fixture to power the LED lamps with 120v power. As far as I am concerned I get the same amount of light using about 1/2 of the wattage when you consider there is no longer a ballast that consumes watts.

As Mike mentioned, since you do not have grid power you can find 12volt LED lights for RV's that will work connected to a battery.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          If you had normal power in the barn there are LED lights that will work.

I replaced the lamps in a open fluorescent fixture with 2 34watt lamps above my work bench with 2 20 watt LED lamps. I just removed the ballast and re-wired the existing fixture to power the LED lamps with 120v power. As far as I am concerned I get the same amount of light using about 1/2 of the wattage when you consider there is no longer a ballast that consumes watts.

As Mike mentioned, since you do not have grid power you can find 12volt LED lights for RV's that will work connected to a battery.
          Again, I have no power to this barn. That is why I'm hoping to put up a solar panel to power the light/lights. I just don't have a feel for what size light will give me the best results. There are hundreds of units out there ranging from 40 to 100 watts that have a small remote solar panel for power. I was hoping someone here (a solar discussion forum) would have an idea of what would work and if these self contained units last and are worth the cost. I guess I will just have to buy one and find out.
          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Plowboy you are not getting direct answers because you have not stated your needs other than a light.

What wattage of a light?
            How many?
            How many hours per day?
            Location?
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Again, I have no power to this barn. That is why I'm hoping to put up a solar panel to power the light/lights. I just don't have a feel for what size light will give me the best results. There are hundreds of units out there ranging from 40 to 100 watts that have a small remote solar panel for power. I was hoping someone here (a solar discussion forum) would have an idea of what would work and if these self contained units last and are worth the cost. I guess I will just have to buy one and find out.
              Thanks for the reply.
              Maybe it was how you asked your first question about what size LED to use for a work bench that got me confused.

I didn't know you wanted to power it only from a solar battery system. I just gave you some ideas on what I did and what you can also do.

The amount of light you need depends on the type of work you want to perform. Like I said about 40 watts of LED is plenty of light for me but you might need more or less for your comfort.

As for how big a solar panel and battery system do I need to run a "work light", that again begins with what is the wattage of each LED lamp and how long will it be on. Once you determine each watt hour need you total them up to size your battery system. From there you can size your solar panel wattage and charge controller. If you use 12 volt LED you will not need an inverter. If you go with 120volt LED lamp then you need an inverter.

To get a better idea on what you need to do to calculate your "off grid" solar power system I would suggest reading the Sticky posts in the "off grid" part of this forum. You can start with the 2 links below.

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...-Size-Tutorial

Comment

Maybe it was how you asked your first question about what size LED to use for a work bench that got me confused.

I didn't know you wanted to power it only from a solar battery system. I just gave you some ideas on what I did and what you can also do.

The amount of light you need depends on the type of work you want to perform. Like I said about 40 watts of LED is plenty of light for me but you might need more or less for your comfort.

As for how big a solar panel and battery system do I need to run a "work light", that again begins with what is the wattage of each LED lamp and how long will it be on. Once you determine each watt hour need you total them up to size your battery system. From there you can size your solar panel wattage and charge controller. If you use 12 volt LED you will not need an inverter. If you go with 120volt LED lamp then you need an inverter.

To get a better idea on what you need to do to calculate your "off grid" solar power system I would suggest reading the Sticky posts in the "off grid" part of this forum. You can start with the 2 links below.

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...-Size-Tutorial
                Thank you for your replies. The information is helpful and you are correct, I did not phrase the question well.

Comment

Here is what I did for my barn.
                  140 watt 12v PV panel
                  Morningstar Sunsaver charge controller
                  Cobra 300 watt inverter
                  Old 12 v car battery I had laying around
                  3- 12 watt LED x 115 v bulbs (used to be cfl)

I only use these lights intermittently, some times for 2 hrs for a day or 2, then nothing for 4-5 days.
                  It works when I need it, battery is holding up still.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
                    Here is what I did for my barn.
                    140 watt 12v PV panel
                    Morningstar Sunsaver charge controller
                    Cobra 300 watt inverter
                    Old 12 v car battery I had laying around
                    3- 12 watt LED x 115 v bulbs (used to be cfl)

I only use these lights intermittently, some times for 2 hrs for a day or 2, then nothing for 4-5 days.
                    It works when I need it, battery is holding up still.
                    Car batteries work ok if you have a very small load every other day. It is similar to just running the car radio every once in a while when parked. What saves that battery is that you can then run the engine so the alternator charges it back up.

If you do not have enough charging capability from your solar panel & CC, chances are your battery will work for a while but will slowly sulfate and die way before a it would have if used in your car.

Don't be fooled into thinking old & cheap car batteries work for a solar pv system. All you are really doing is adding more toxic waste to a dump when they go to an early grave.

Comment

Car batteries work ok if you have a very small load every other day. It is similar to just running the car radio every once in a while when parked. What saves that battery is that you can then run the engine so the alternator charges it back up.

If you do not have enough charging capability from your solar panel & CC, chances are your battery will work for a while but will slowly sulfate and die way before a it would have if used in your car.

Don't be fooled into thinking old & cheap car batteries work for a solar pv system. All you are really doing is adding more toxic waste to a dump when they go to an early grave.
                      Thank you, These two replies are very helpful. Do the leds give you enough light to, say, do repairs on a carburetor sitting on the bench?

Comment

Thank you, These two replies are very helpful. Do the leds give you enough light to, say, do repairs on a carburetor sitting on the bench?
                        While I have not worked on a carburetor, IMO my LED bench lights are very bright and will provide enough light for that type of work.

I have done some small circuit board and battery connection soldering for my RC plane systems without feeling it was too dark.

It comes down to what you feel and need to comfortably see and perform your work. While one 20 watt LED is enough for some people, others may want 2 x 20 watt LED lamps.

Comment

really depends on how you wanna setup you work area, IE how big and are you putting up big permant ones? i have system setup in my green house, the whole thing cost me about 400 bucks, and it's been running strong for 3 years.

i have 5 trouble light's with the LED bulbs you can buy from home depot or lowes, i have about 150 watts of solar panels 1 120 watt 12v volt panel and one 30 watt 12volt panle all hooked to a 30 amp charge controller which is hook to 2 deep cycle marine batteries that i bought at wallmart for 90 bucks each, then i have a 750 watt power inverter going into that. once my lights are fully warmed up is bright as day in there, i also run a raido off it and a few other random things.

i'd say start off with 100 watt mono panel kit from amazon get some old batteries and an inverter and find some lighte you like and plug um in. the best way to this is to just buy and build.

Comment

Originally posted by madmilitia View Post
                            really depends on how you wanna setup you work area, IE how big and are you putting up big permant ones? i have system setup in my green house, the whole thing cost me about 400 bucks, and it's been running strong for 3 years.

i have 5 trouble light's with the LED bulbs you can buy from home depot or lowes, i have about 150 watts of solar panels 1 120 watt 12v volt panel and one 30 watt 12volt panle all hooked to a 30 amp charge controller which is hook to 2 deep cycle marine batteries that i bought at wallmart for 90 bucks each, then i have a 750 watt power inverter going into that. once my lights are fully warmed up is bright as day in there, i also run a raido off it and a few other random things.

i'd say start off with 100 watt mono panel kit from amazon get some old batteries and an inverter and find some lighte you like and plug um in. the best way to this is to just buy and build.
                            Great info.. These are just the kind of replies I was hoping for! Now I have a much better idea of where to start.

Comment

What would it take to get power to there?
                              I'd probably look at renting a ditchwitch and trenching in wire to the shop and putting in a small subpanel.

Then you can have the air-compressor, air tools, and power tools in the shop.
                              (at least when I think shop, I'm thinking you are very likely to want some power tools and/or air-tools.)

But if all you really want is a few LED lights for a few hours a week, solar panels are certainly an option.
                              Another might be a couple of flashlights that work off the same battery packs as cordless drills. (which may or may not be more expensive plan than what you're planning now)

Comment

Working...
                              X