50w panel with 3 7 watt DC light bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50w panel with 3 7 watt DC light bulbs

Is there a way I can go straight from solar panel directly wired to 3 7 watt light bulbs with no battery for my shed thanks hunter also just to run only in daytime not at night

Originally posted by boloking18 View Post
    Is there a way I can go straight from solar panel directly wired to 3 7 watt light bulbs with no battery for my shed thanks hunter also just to run only in daytime not at night
    Yes. But you have to take into account the actual output voltage from the panels compared to the rated voltage of your lamps.
    If they are 12V DC recreational vehicle types, then you will have to add additional voltage regulation to keep from burning them out. (Even a nominal 12V panel is rated to charge a 12V battery and has an actual DC output as high as 24V.)
    If they are 120V AC bulbs, then you are in a pickle because standard off grid inverters to produce 120V will not work properly without batteries in the circuit to provide energy storage, since the 120V AC will have peak power requirements 120 times per second.

Have you considered using a sun tunnel or skylight instead?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

OK thanks they are 12v 7 watt DC light bulbs e27 . also I have 12 6x6 solar cells should I run 2 cells per light . thanks hunter

Comment

OK thanks they are 12v 7 watt DC light bulbs e27 . also I have 12 6x6 solar cells should I run 2 cells per light . thanks hunter
        Let's get the terminology straight. If you have 6x6 solar cells, each one will have an output of .5 volts and they can be connected all 12 in series to make a 6V maximum panel. That will not run your 12V bulbs very well. They will light, but dimly.
        If you get 12V 1W LEDs instead, they will give the same amount of light as a 7W incandescent bulb. But they will not work at all on 6V.

If you mean that you have 12 6x6 solar panels, each one made up of many cells, then you might have something you can work with.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Is there a way I can go straight from solar panel directly wired to 3 7 watt
          light bulbs with no battery for my shed thanks hunter also just to run only in daytime not at night
          I think you can do that with one of those cheap DC-DC buck converters on Flea bay. The panel
          must be capable of at least 12V at its Vmp, and the converter must be capable of the panel Voc.
          The converter isn't smart enough to find Vmppt, but if the panel (as illuminated) is capable of at
          least the operating current of the bulb, the converter should be able to find a satisfactory operating
          point. Multiple bulbs should work if the parallel current requirements are met.

Probably the bulb will be a bit slow turning on with this current limiting scheme, extending its life.

Bruce Roe

Comment

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291161780706?nav=SEARCH
            What about running 1 6w strip of these .I installed 3 pairs inside house but also I have each of them connected to its own battery 12v 7ah battery its small but for emergency lights. They are very bright . 2 for my 2 hallways and 1 for my wife side of her bathroom lol makeup .
            The lights I bought are similar to http://m.ebay.com/itm/171657145570?nav=SEARCH

Or should I just get a 12v 18ah battery and with my 50watt solar panel with controller. Also I will not run them all day

Comment

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291161780706?nav=SEARCH
              What about running 1 6w strip of these .I installed 3 pairs inside house but also I have each of them connected to its own battery 12v 7ah battery its small but for emergency lights. They are very bright . 2 for my 2 hallways and 1 for my wife side of her bathroom lol makeup .
              The lights I bought are similar to http://m.ebay.com/itm/171657145570?nav=SEARCH

Or should I just get a 12v 18ah battery and with my 50watt solar panel with controller. Also I will not run them all day
              I was going to say, you might get a couple of these shipped for $2.69; will cover a panel
              up to 40V max. 'Bay 351295029816 A straight 12V parallel clamp (zener, etc) might
              work almost as well, but would generate a lot of heat and probably cost more.

If you're going for different, battery system, start out specifying your panel Voc, Vmp, Isc,
              Imp to get started. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
              X