Open loop system with whole house hot water recirculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open loop system with whole house hot water recirculation

I'm now installing a open loop solar thermal system in Long Beach, CA. 2 Chromagen 4x10 panels, and AO Smith 120 gal holding tank with 4500 watt back up. Looking for suggestions on plumbing the existing whole house hot water recirculation system return line to the holding tank. Solar holding tank has water access fittings on bottom and mid way up the tank. I'm thinking I should plumb the return to the mid way fitting, as the return will be carrying hot water, cooled somewhat by circulating through the hot water piping. The differential temperature sensor on the tank will be mounted near the bottom. My goal is to configure the system to optimize solar hot water generation. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Originally posted by altonbr View Post
    I'm now installing a open loop solar thermal system in Long Beach, CA. 2 Chromagen 4x10 panels, and AO Smith 120 gal holding tank with 4500 watt back up. Looking for suggestions on plumbing the existing whole house hot water recirculation system return line to the holding tank. Solar holding tank has water access fittings on bottom and mid way up the tank. I'm thinking I should plumb the return to the mid way fitting, as the return will be carrying hot water, cooled somewhat by circulating through the hot water piping. The differential temperature sensor on the tank will be mounted near the bottom. My goal is to configure the system to optimize solar hot water generation. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    As one-loop? Hmm.

I have one loop that includes the water heating device [wood stove], and our Thermal-Bank. Then a second loop that includes our Thermal-Bank and the radiant floor. Two loops, each with a pump. Total two pumps.

In any water heating device you take the outlet from the top, and the inlet goes to the bottom. As water heats it migrates 'up'.

In the Solar-Thermal array / Thermal-Bank loop, the array is the water heating device.

In the Thermal-Bank / radiant floor loop, the Thermal-bank is the water heating device.

Hot water leaving the 'Solar holding tank' needs to leave at the top. Water entering it needs to enter near the bottom.
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Working...
    X