Wind Turbine and solar modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickley View Post
    I am not sure what you are referring to when you say meaningless. According to the manufacturer the turbine can handle 110 mph winds and it will still have a load during that time. Also if the wind is blowing at 100 mph, my solar, home and anything else that isn't tied down will be gone or in big trouble.

rickley
    One key point is that a large number of turbine designs either feather the blades or turn the blades parallel to the wind so that the braking or loading mechanism does not have to deal with constantly increasing energy with wind speed. Not all wind turbines have a brake or positive rotation lock.
    If the bank of resistors gets too hot, you can just throw a short circuit on the leads instead. But that leaves all of the energy dissipation inside the generator windings.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      One key point is that a large number of turbine designs either feather the blades or turn the blades parallel to the wind so that the braking or loading mechanism does not have to deal with constantly increasing energy with wind speed. Not all wind turbines have a brake or positive rotation lock.
      If the bank of resistors gets too hot, you can just throw a short circuit on the leads instead. But that leaves all of the energy dissipation inside the generator windings.
      We have never had the kinds of wind you are referring to and I hope we never do. So throw a short circuit on the leads and burn the generator up. Hum, let me think about that, but for now my resistors will have to handle the overload. Thanks
      My blades neither feather nor do they turn parallel.
      rickley

Comment

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say meaningless. According to the manufacturer the turbine can handle 110 mph winds and it will still have a load during that time. Also if the wind is blowing at 100 mph, my solar, home and anything else that isn't tied down will be gone or in big trouble.

rickley
        Sorry rickley but you bought a cheap turbine that is unsafe. It does not have required safety features.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Sorry rickley but you bought a cheap turbine that is unsafe. It does not have required safety features.
          Thanks Russ, I think you need to go to Missouri wind and solar, read up on their turbines and then let me know what you know because it certainly sounds like you know a lot more about turbines than I do.
          rickley

Comment

Originally posted by mws.ben
            once again I'm not a spammer. I really do take an interest in this stuff I just happen to work for a company.

This is a message forum, not your private business leads. If you would like to dispense realistic advice, much like Amy the solar Queen (who also works in the solar field) without trying to drum up business for yourself, that's great. Or we simply ban you for trying to sell stuff.

This message forum is sponsored by a solar business, and common courtesy would dictate you not steer business to yourself.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks Russ, I think you need to go to Missouri wind and solar, read up on their turbines and then let me know what you know because it certainly sounds like you know a lot more about turbines than I do.
              rickley
              Yes - I expect I do know more about turbines than you do and I do not need to go see this stuff to know it is cheap junk. I have read about their stuff and many comments from users - unless the comment is from a salesman or family it it not good.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                Yes - I expect I do know more about turbines than you do and I do not need to go see this stuff to know it is cheap junk. I have read about their stuff and many comments from users - unless the comment is from a salesman or family it it not good.
                All turbines of the design in question are pretty much boat anchors at best. The light weight turbines have an exceedingly poor record plus the sellers usually don't point out that they are rated at storm conditions - very high wind speeds that are nor usual and the output in low winds is next to nothing.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                X