Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Help With SLI batteries Please.

Hi Guys,

In Jamaica I see there are about 3 type of the SLI batteries for automobile uses. I like to know a little bit more about them, hope you guys can help.

In the auto car battery shop I see three major battery type.
    1; the plain old type FLA battery with 6 caps that I have to add water if is necessary.
    2; this one have 2 rectangle caps that can lift up to check water and SG as well but it claim say low maintenance or maintenance free.
    3; this one is sealed and is maintenance free with a peep hole display green and white color.

What I like to know is what different between these batteries especially the first two. what make the second one claim maintenance free or low maintenance?

Is the third one AGM? or same old FLA with seal caps?

Thank you.

1. You already know. They are the least expensive of the bunch and usually are an allow with low amounts of Antimony. Short lived and short shelf life..

2. Reduced Maintenance, still a FLA but has an allow of Calcium-Lead to reduce gassing operating at the higher voltage of alternator regulators.

3. Maintenance Free and it could be either Gel or AGM and will be the most expensive. Most all new vehicles today are being equipped with AGM because of the high electronic widgets that come in new cars today. More or less a hybrid that has low Ri to generate high burst currents and some cycling ability.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
      3; this one is sealed and is maintenance free with a peep hole display green and white color.

What I like to know is what different between these batteries especially the first two. what make the second one claim maintenance free or low maintenance?

Is the third one AGM? or same old FLA with seal caps?

Thank you.
      Originally posted by Sunking View Post

3. Maintenance Free and it could be either Gel or AGM and will be the most expensive. Most all new vehicles today are being equipped with AGM because of the high electronic widgets that come in new cars today. More or less a hybrid that has low Ri to generate high burst currents and some cycling ability.
      The presence of the peep hole with color change is a pretty good indication that there is free liquid electrolyte inside the case and the color change indicates the specific gravity of the electrolyte as in indicator of State Of Charge (SOC).
      It is unlikely that it is either an AGM or GEL battery since they have no loose liquid electrolyte to activate the "magic eye". The chances are good that there is a way to open the caps of the cells, although it may be difficult to get them closed again.
      An AGM or GEL battery will also operate properly in at least some orientations other than right side up. A "mainenance free" battery will not.

There are for sale AGM type batteries for SLI use, most commonly for motorcycles, because they are so expensive compared to FLA, but there are some sold for cars and trucks too.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        The presence of the peep hole with color change is a pretty good indication that there is free liquid electrolyte inside the case.
        I should have caught that, my bad. It means Sealed Maintenance Free still FLA and uses color changing hydrometer.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you guys, so the maintenance free battery still seal FLA and not AGM batteries. I am wonder if they will last longer in the car to justify the additional cost. last question, the AGM batteries don't have free flow liquid in them?

Thanks

Comment

last question, the AGM batteries don't have free flow liquid in them?
            No Sir. They were designed back in the 80's for military aircraft by Concorde where lighter weight, reliability, inverted operation. high G forces, and where spills cannot be tolerated. AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat is a starved electrolyte absorbed into a fiber glass mat, then sealed gas tight. They do have pressure relief valves to vent gas if abused to prevent them from exploding. Otherwise the hydrogen and oxygen gasses are recombined to water. But there is no loose liquid electrolyte sloshing around inside of them.

Their biggest advantage is very low internal resistance, and the plates are very thin like foil which allows them to be jelly rolled making for a compact design. Basically allows you to put a 2 pound battery in a 1 pound box. The biggest disadvantage from RE POV is they cost roughly twice that of FLA for a given capacity and only have half the cycle life.

They are good batteries, but you really need a special application for RE to justify the added cost and shorter cycle life because long term you are looking at 400% higher cost. Aircraft you can easily justify the cost for numerous reasons. For RE they fit mobile applications where spills and leaks cannot be tolerated, extreme cold climates, and very short Sun Hours requiring high charge rates. Not something you have to worry about in Jamaica at your home stationary application.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you Dereck, it is for the pickup not for RE purpose.

Comment

Thank you Dereck, it is for the pickup not for RE purpose.
                OK what kind of PU? For SLI the three most important numbers are physical size (BCI Case Size like group 31), CCA, and Warranty. I know CCA sounds crazy in Jamaica, but it is a very important number as it relates directly to the battery internal resistance. Big engines need big batteries to turn them over. Your vehicle owners manual will tell you the minimum requirements.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

It is an old Toyota Tacoma space cab, the last battery in there has the CCA is about 650 to 700 and it did last 6.5 years, I got a 124R-G Eveready battery to replace it, should have the same CCA. It is not a seal battery so I wonder if it will be as good as the old one.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X