• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john1970
    Banned
    • Jan 2015

switching between mains and off grid supply

Hi,

does anybody know if there exists a mechanism for fast switching between power from a domestic mains supply and the power from an inverter linked to my battery bank?

The reason I ask is that I have installed small PV system but I think I am not using it to it's full potential. We have lots of sunny days where the system is always fully charged and we could run the household PC, lights, TV etc... then, when the sun sets, the battery bank voltage tends to drop off fairly quickly (batteries probably on their way out)... We usually manually switch over to mains power to preserve the power in the battery bank but at the moment this involves unplugging things, turning the PC off etc...

I would love an automated switch that could change over from the inverter to mains power without interupption - does such a thing exist? If so what are they called? Or would it be easier to get a small UPS which could act as a buffer whilst we manually switch over?

Thanks a lot,

John
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Sure there is but why?

Any power from batteries is costly you 5 to 10 times more than buying it. Why would you volunteer to pay 5 to 10 times more than you have to? Is this a British thing you got brained washed with in school?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• john1970
      Banned
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
      Sure there is but why?

Any power from batteries is costly you 5 to 10 times more than buying it. Why would you volunteer to pay 5 to 10 times more than you have to? Is this a British thing you got brained washed with in school?
      sorry I don't understand what you are getting at. I already have a PV solar system, so how can me using it be costing me more than buying it from the grid... Maybe being British i'm just too thick to get your insights.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by john1970
        sorry I don't understand what you are getting at. I already have a PV solar system, so how can me using it be costing me more than buying it from the grid... Maybe being British i'm just too thick to get your insights.
        Battery replacement
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• boostinsteve
          • Aug 2013

An automatic transfer switch. It'll transfer in about 20-50msecs with a switch sized for a house. As I work for ASCO as a field technician, I work mainly in industrial anymore. As that is, I will of course recommend an ASCO ATS. The switching scheme will need to be developed by you, be it a timer, or some kind of SOC device.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by boostinsteve
            An automatic transfer switch. It'll transfer in about 20-50msecs with a switch sized for a house. As I work for ASCO as a field technician, I work mainly in industrial anymore. As that is, I will of course recommend an ASCO ATS. The switching scheme will need to be developed by you, be it a timer, or some kind of SOC device.
            So now the OP adds a very expensive transfer switch to his battery system. Does he not realize that the cost for those batteries and switch will never pay for themselves compare to the cost of using the utility at night.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
              Does he not realize that the cost for those batteries and switch will never pay for themselves compare to the cost of using the utility at night.
              No he does not understand even after being told.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

You guys hurt his feelings so he said nasty things but at least he promised to not return.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• mschulz
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2014

Is this a British thing you got brained washed with in school?
                  It is not that they are brainwashed, they just forget to do the rest of the math on whether there $100/ mo power bill is cheaper than solar. Like most on here, they think they can replace there grid power with a $700 harbor freight system and there old car batteries they don't know what to do with.

It is actually very entertaining to read.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mschulz
                    It is not that they are brainwashed, they just forget to do the rest of the math on whether there $100/ mo power bill is cheaper than solar. Like most on here, they think they can replace there grid power with a $700 harbor freight system and there old car batteries they don't know what to do with.

It is actually very entertaining to read.
                    It might be entertaining for some people but to me I hate to see someone waste their money going "off grid" expecting to save on their electric bill.

I don't believe they forget to do the math. I really think that they have been brainwashed by all of the inaccurate news reporting concerning "free and green energy from solar" It is neither free or green.

I am a very big supporter of solar energy generation and I would love to see more installed as long as it is sensible to do. I just want to help people make better decisions when they consider using solar power.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      It might be entertaining for some people but to me I hate to see someone waste their money going "off grid" expecting to save on their electric bill.

I don't believe they forget to do the math. I really think that they have been brainwashed by all of the inaccurate news reporting concerning "free and green energy from solar" It is neither free or green.

I am a very big supporter of solar energy generation and I would love to see more installed as long as it is sensible to do. I just want to help people make better decisions when they consider using solar power.
                      A lot of the time people see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear. Sometimes folks have their minds made up and don't want to be confused by the facts. I'm with you on the solar stuff, but some folks you just can't reach, and never will. A lot of the time folks seem to be looking for some affirmation of some B.S. they were fed by someone or some thing like news spoor, trying to get in their financial knickers. Sometimes, folks are sheeple following the crowd.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                        A lot of the time people see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear. Sometimes folks have their minds made up and don't want to be confused by the facts. I'm with you on the solar stuff, but some folks you just can't reach, and never will. A lot of the time folks they seem to be looking for some affirmation of some B.S. they were fed by someone or some thing like news spoor, trying to get in their financial knickers. Sometimes, folks are sheeple following the crowd.
                        10-4 on being confused by the facts.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Sometimes folks have their minds made up and don't want to be confused by the facts. I'm with you on the solar stuff, but some folks you just can't reach, and never will.
                          Sure you can, use the best teacher there ever was, failure and loosing a whole lot of money. Like the old saying goes; You have been told, now it is time your learned. In this case the Hard Way.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Sure you can, use the best teacher there ever was, failure and loosing a whole lot of money. Like the old saying goes; You have been told, now it is time your learned. In this case the Hard Way.
                            There sure seems to be a lot of potential for hard way learning around here.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

There sure seems to be a lot of potential for hard way learning around here.
                              Well like you say, Critical Thinking is one class de goberment is afraid of and not taught in public schools.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...