What pump do we need for our system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pump do we need for our system?

We just managed to burn out a small pump for our parabolic solar hot water heating system. Are there any recommendations? All we need is to draw the water from a 50 L tub to the bottom of the heating tube and push it up through the tube to the top, where it falls again into the tub. Everything is on the same floor.

Here is our Appropedia page it it helps...

http://www.appropedia.org/Parabolic_...t_Water_Heater

Have a great afternoon!
    Last edited by frazelle09; 01-17-2015, 06:13 PM. Reason: ADD SOLVED
    The earth is one country and mankind its citizens.

Originally posted by frazelle09 View Post
    We just managed to burn out a small pump for our parabolic solar hot water heating system. Are there any recommendations? All we need is to draw the water from a 50 L tub to the bottom of the heating tube and push it up through the tube to the top, where it falls again into the tub. Everything is on the same floor.

Here is our Appropedia page it it helps...

http://www.appropedia.org/Parabolic_...t_Water_Heater

Have a great afternoon!
    I did not find any mention on the site of what type or model pump you are using. I am guessing that it might be a DC pump running off solar panels. If that is the case, you should look at a Linear Current Booster (LCB) to optimize the voltage and current mix to the pump and allow it to run more efficiently.

If it is utility powered, then ignore that, but we still need to know more about the flow rate you need and what the water temperature will be at the pump in the worst case.
    A pump designed specifically for circulating hot water would be best. Common small pumps for RVs, etc cannot handle hot water.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks for replying, inetdog! Really appreciate it. Here's the stats from the Chinese website

Code:
      Brand Name: TOPSFLO
      Model Number: TS5
      Theory: Centrifugal Pump
      Structure: Single-stage Pump
      Usage: Water
      Power: Electric
      Standard or Nonstandard: Standard
      Fuel: Solar panel, Battery, DC power
      Pressure: endure 10 bar pressure
      Application: Solar water heaters
      Certificate: CE,RoHS, ISO9001
      Liquid: hot water circulating
      Temperature range: 0~110 Celsius degree
      Max Pressrue: 10 Bar
      Colar: black
      Motor: DC brushless motor
      Voltage range: 6V DC ~ 24VDC
      Start power: less than 2 Watt
      We were running it off an AC to DC inverter and it was working last year but since it's not self-primed i suspect we overloaded it this time around. It seemed to provide sufficient pressure since we only need it to push the water from the base of the parabolic collector up through the 8' copper pipe to the top where it falls into the tub again.

Hope this provides more info. Have a great evening!

Comment

Can you locate the next one where it will be below the standing water level in the tank, so priming will not be necessary?

I am afraid I don't know of any suitable inexpensive pumps. Possibly some of the members who actually run thermal DHW systems can chime in?
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

inetdog, you have been of great help! Since engineering is really not my forte i forgot to locate the pump lower than the tub - duh. Well, as you mentioned, next time we can start from there. Actually all i need to do now is to find some small pump like the one we have and which doesn't have to come from China, which takes up to three weeks sometimes.

Thanks a lot and perhaps someone will have a suggestion about what pump might be good. Have a wonderful evening!

Comment

search for wilo pumps - that is what I have in my hydronic in floor system.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Most likely a Taco 007 ($80) or Grundfoss equivalent will work for you temporarily, it is a cast iron pump and will rust up on you quickly if you don't add some inhibitor to the water since you have an open system.
              A stainless or bronze version of the pump is available at higher cost.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
                Most likely a Taco 007 ($80) or Grundfoss equivalent will work for you temporarily, it is a cast iron pump and will rust rust up on you quickly if you don't add some inhibitor to the water since you have an open system.
                A stainless or bronze version of the pump is available at higher cost.
                +1 on that. Spend a few extra $$ on the bronze or SS. Cast iron is good for a lot of applications. This ain't one of 'em.

Comment

Wow, thanks guys. It looks like we're ready to go look for some products. Thank you all very much for your advice and help with this. It's greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Comment

Working...
                  X