Black Goo Being Pumped From Solar Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Goo Being Pumped From Solar Panel

Four weeks ago I noticed our pool had a fine black silt on the bottom. I vacuumed the pool and the next day it was back. I cleaned the pool again along with the filters. The filters were full of this black material. After the second cleaning, I closed the valve to the solar panels. The pool has been clean since then.

I'm assuming that the solar panels are breaking down and being pumped into the pool. The panels are about six years old. They were installed by the previous owners of the house. I don't have any information on them.

Can anyone comment on this problem? Not sure how to check to see if the panels are still good.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Originally posted by bhaubold View Post
    Four weeks ago I noticed our pool had a fine black silt on the bottom. I vacuumed the pool and the next day it was back. I cleaned the pool again along with the filters. The filters were full of this black material. After the second cleaning, I closed the valve to the solar panels. The pool has been clean since then.

I'm assuming that the solar panels are breaking down and being pumped into the pool. The panels are about six years old. They were installed by the previous owners of the house. I don't have any information on them.

Can anyone comment on this problem? Not sure how to check to see if the panels are still good.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
    I would first disconnect the piping to the panels so that you can flush them and work on them without messing up the pool or the filters.

Then look carefully at the black stuff. It might be organic matter growing inside your panels. (That can be treated chemically, but not likely for treated pool water. More common in DHW.) Or it might be bits of plastic from decomposing pipe or seals. If the panels got overheated at some point, then any plastic pipe may have been damaged.

If you can get information on the manufacturer of the panels from nameplates or labels, you could start from there. On the off chance that there was a building permit pulled, the description may be on the plans.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Is it common for the panels to have manufacture labels on them? Also, have you ever heard of the panels themselves breaking down?

Thank again,

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Is it common for the panels to have manufacture labels on them? Also, have you ever heard of the panels themselves breaking down?

Thank again,
        If it is a commercially made panel rather than homebuilt, it will often have a label, yes.
        and "the panels themselves" breaking down is not really a useful description. There is piping inside the panel, even if you cannot see it, and that is most likely what is breaking down. I was not referring to the pipes to and from the panel, but they could certainly be the problem instead, especially if they are black poly pipe. Not all type of plastic pipe can handle high temperatures which you might get with the pump not running on a hot day.

I suppose that there could be flat plate collectors that simply fill the entire space inside with water, but I have not seen any.

Comment

If it is indeed the panels breaking down, what would be a good brand of panel to replace this system with? I'm in the California central valley, Ripon, Ca to be exact. Can you recommend any contractors to do this type of work?

Thanks again for your replys,

Bob

Comment

If it is indeed the panels breaking down, what would be a good brand of panel to replace this system with? I'm in the California central valley, Ripon, Ca to be exact. Can you recommend any contractors to do this type of work?

Thanks again for your replys,

Bob
            I have a 9x30 array of this. http://www.h2otsun.com/
            Had it for a couple of years now and am happy with it. Materials were about 2K and I did the work myself.
            1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure out how to determine the condition of my existing panels. Don't know if their toast or if they just need to be flushed out.

I like the system you installed. Looks very versatile. Can't say I've seen panels like that but, they can use most all of the roof. Very nice.

Comment

You might want to find out what type of plastic the panels are made from. One of your pool chemicals may be deteriorating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
                  You might want to find out what type of plastic the panels are made from. One of your pool chemicals may be deteriorating them.

Very good point!
                  Some thermal panels are made for heating Domestic Hot Water (DHW) and will expect either clean drinkable water (which may still have some obnoxious minerals) or a closed loop glycol solution. Pool panels run at a lower temperature but with more challenging chemicals.

Comment

Balck dust

Thanks for your help,

Bob
                    I have the same black dust in my pool and jaccuzi heated by the EPDM solar system. I just bought the house with the pool and figure out I can't use the pool or the jaccuzi because this black goo is very toxic and dangerous for my health. I learned that it is a structural defect with every EPDM system that can never be corrected. The company refuses to pay or replace anything. What is incredible is that they keep on selling them. If anyone knows a class action to sue these companies, I am interested to join.

Comment

I guess I'll have to install new panels. If EPDM aren't the panels to use. Which panels are the best choice?

Comment

look up my original above. not panels though but have been problem free for me a couple years now
                        1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

How about a picture of the panels?
                          Also check that the check valve between the filter and the diverter valve is there and functioning. Otherwise you could be backwashing the filter back into the pool. (a more common issue)
                          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                          X