X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abozakaria
    • Mar 2014

connecting breakers in serious

Hi all
    Iam connecting 15 37v 8.3A panels in series which have a total of more than 550 v
    and I know I must connect dc breaker rated 15A 600v
    the problem I couldnt find a 600V breaker only 250v
    what to do
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Check these out. You could also just use a fuse.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• abozakaria
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by sensij
      Check these out. You could also just use a fuse.
      The problem is in my place I live it isnt easy to find any thing ...
      my question is
      can I use 250v 20a breaker in a 600volt system?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by abozakaria
        my question is
        Sure, if you want a new place. 250V on 600v system WILL BURN when activated. You must obtain proper voltage rated DC breakers. Or rebuild your house when it gets burned down.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Sure, if you want a new place. 250V on 600v system WILL BURN when activated. You must obtain proper voltage rated DC breakers. Or rebuild your house when it gets burned down.
          I doubt very much that the easy to obtain 250V breakers are actually rated to break 250V DC in the first place. They might be usable as disconnects, but will fail spectacularly if opened under load.

As far as putting several breaker contacts in series to increase the working voltage, that can indeed be done, but it is most often done with relay contacts rather than circuit breakers. At a minimum you would need to use one multi-pole breaker so that the contacts all opened at the same time. Requiring the user to hit two separate breaker handles simultaneously is another accident waiting to happen. And a breaker which arcs when trying to open a load (or even withstand a higher voltage than its insulation is rated for) will let the explosion out of the breaker case and into your face.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by abozakaria
            my question is
            IMO, you need to order the right item and wait for it to be shipped to you. Or pay a little extra and go for overnight. You don't want to make a mistake with 550 volts direct current. Very nasty when things go wrong.

Comment

Working...