X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by JFinch57
    I got 260W mono USA made Isophoton panels for $210 each delivered. See my post about purchasing ala carte...good deal on panels.
    What post?

Comment

• JFinch57
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2015

Ask your questions about solar modules, mounts, inverters or any other part of your solar energy system. If you want to share the specs for your system, then you can post them here.
      Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

• foo1bar
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Been making progress.
        Rails are up. Conduit is all in place. Inverter is mounted and wired to AC.
        But...

I checked calculations for conduit fill - and with 3/4 EMT I don't have room for four 10AWG PVwire + a 10AWG THWN-2 for ground.
        So, I've had to revise my plan of just running PVWire all the way back to the inverter.

The good news is in another spot I can use the "nipple" rule for 24" or shorter conduit sections - which lets me fit four 6AWG THWN-2 + 3 12AWG into a 3/4" PVC. The 6 gauge is for the inverter, the 12 gauge is for an outlet box.

Another thing I learned (and should have thought of beforehand) is that where the conduit penetrates the roof - it can't be right where you have a foot and flashing for the rail. Fortunately didn't damage the flashing (at least not enough that it's visible from the top)
        So didn't have to replace that.

I am working on running all the wires now - and probably will be able to start putting in place the optimizers and panels this weekend.

Anyone have a good suggestion for keeping track of wires so I can remember which is which... Probably going to use pieces of tape and a marker unless I hear a better suggestion.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by foo1bar

Anyone have a good suggestion for keeping track of wires so I can remember which is which... Probably going to use pieces of tape and a marker unless I hear a better suggestion.
          Colored electrical tape at ends and perhaps some intermediate boxes works. For fancier
          custom labels I make on line bumper stickers and cut them up. Bruce Roe

Comment

• JFinch57
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2015

Been making progress.

I checked calculations for conduit fill - and with 3/4 EMT I don't have room for four 10AWG PVwire + a 10AWG THWN-2 for ground.
            So, I've had to revise my plan of just running PVWire all the way back to the inverter.

Are you using 600V PV wire? I calculate for that Southwire diameter of 0.231", area=0.0419 sq". If you use a bare ground (area=0.011) then the total is 0.1786, which is below the 0.213 allowed for 3/4" EMT fill. I like this calculator http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...alculator.html but it does not have PV wire.

I prefer using colored wire. Cost a little more since you will have more excess, but looks great!

Comment

• foo1bar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by JFinch57
              Are you using 600V PV wire?
              This is the wire I'm using: http://www.titanwnc.com/wp-content/uploads/PV-Wire.pdf
              Diameter .270"; area = 0.0573 sq. in.
              So 4 in a 3/4 EMT is not OK.

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Failed the final inspection

Had my inspection today.

Inspector wants labels on the conduit, and a support block under a conduit that's going across a ~3' section of roof then up a wall.
                Hopefully when he (or a coworker of his) comes back there won't be anything else they notice.

My next inspection is Wed.

I think I annoyed him a little because I didn't have my permit and plans handy - had to go searching for it for a while.
                I think the conduit labels aren't technically needed per code since they're all external conduits and it's a solaredge system.
                The conduit strapping/support is something that I didn't do up to code.
                Fixing both is easy enough though.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Had my inspection today.

Inspector wants labels on the conduit, and a support block under a conduit that's going across a ~3' section of roof then up a wall.
                  Hopefully when he (or a coworker of his) comes back there won't be anything else they notice.

I think I annoyed him a little because I didn't have my permit and plans handy - had to go searching for it for a while.
                  I think the conduit labels aren't technically needed per code since they're all external conduits and it's a solaredge system.
                  One corollary to the inspector is always right: Piss the inspector off too much and you won't have anything right.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Had my inspection today.

I hope the re-inspection goes well for you.

I hate to say it but sometimes sucking up to the inspector makes things go a little easier. But then again you can't make everyone happy.

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

Realized i never updated this thread.
                      My re-inspection went fine.

I was just looking at the panels the other day, and I see a few wires now have loops hanging down that they touch the roof - probably they looked good before, but with time things sagged.

Now that everything is done, I need to add up all of the receipts and see just how much I spent...

Comment

• JFinch57
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2015

Any pictures?

Comment

• foo1bar
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

Costs for my system

$16600 solar items from renvu (panels, rails, feet, PV wire, etc. etc)
                          $1000 various materials from HD/Lowes/etc. (wire, bolts, roof sealant, etc. etc etc)
                          $500 tools (MC4 crimper @$300; sawblades, drill bits, pliers, clamps, shingle ripper, trowel, solder gun, conduit reamer)
                          $400 city permit
                          $100 for plumbing supplies to re-route pool hot-water
                          $300 stucco repair
                          $1500 materials, backhoe rental, etc. for service upgrade

Total: $20400

31 panels@ 280W = 8680W
                          ==> ~$2.35/W

Not the lowest for a DIY job.
                          But not terrible since I have more expensive panels, more expensive inverter/optimizer setup (solarege) and some expenses most other people wouldn't like stucco repair and a service upgrade.

Comment

• Amy@altE
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2014

That's really helpful, thanks for such detail. I'm actually writing a blog right now on this exact topic, and I was estimating $2 per watt for DIY. Taking out the stucco and pool heating, you've got $2.30 a watt. I think I underestimated the non-solar equipment costs, which quite frankly, I think everyone does. I will adjust my blog.
                            Solar Queen
                            altE Store

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

$16600 solar items from renvu (panels, rails, feet, PV wire, etc. etc)
                              $1000 various materials from HD/Lowes/etc. (wire, bolts, roof sealant, etc. etc etc)
                              $500 tools (MC4 crimper @$300; sawblades, drill bits, pliers, clamps, shingle ripper, trowel, solder gun, conduit reamer)
                              $400 city permit
                              $100 for plumbing supplies to re-route pool hot-water
                              $300 stucco repair
                              $1500 materials, backhoe rental, etc. for service upgrade

Total: $20400
                              31 panels@ 280W = 8680W
                              ==> ~$2.35/W
                              Good list; of course each one will be different. What sort of labels did you and the
                              inspector settle on? Bruce Roe

Comment

• foo1bar
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Amy@altE
                                That's really helpful, thanks for such detail. I'm actually writing a blog right now on this exact topic, and I was estimating $2 per watt for DIY. Taking out the stucco and pool heating, you've got $2.30 a watt. I think I underestimated the non-solar equipment costs, which quite frankly, I think everyone does. I will adjust my blog.
                                The $1500 for upgrading the electrical panel and electrical service wires also is something that most people wouldn't have.
                                (Usually even I would have hired that out and it would have been a lot more - Dealing with service entrance wiring makes me a little nervous because there is no fuse/breaker.)

I think under $2/W is quite doable if doing DIY
                                I have shade issues, so went with Solaredge.
                                I have 5 different sections on the roof for my 31 panels - so more expenses in feet/attachments and conduit/conduit fittings.
                                And I did wind up with some extra items from Lowe's/HD/etc - if I had been a little better at returning unused things and not buying stuff that I eventually didn't use, I probably could have saved $200 in that section. (But would have spent $20 more in gas going to the stores and taken longer to get running)

Bruce:
                                I put labels ("Danger: Photovoltaic power source"; White lettering on red) on all the vertical sections of conduit and the conduit running under the eaves. I didn't put one on the 3' sections going from the panels to the 2nd floor walls (then up the walls). The inspector pointed it out - then said "You know what, anyone up there should be able to figure out that the conduit coming from the array is solar wiring."
                                I of course had all the labels by the inverter and breaker panel - those I had in place for the first inspection.

Comment

Working...