DIY system in CA; 8.68kw system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JFinch57 View Post
    I got 260W mono USA made Isophoton panels for $210 each delivered. See my post about purchasing ala carte...good deal on panels.
    What post?

Comment

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...deal-on-panels
      Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

Been making progress.
        Rails are up. Conduit is all in place. Inverter is mounted and wired to AC.
        But...

I checked calculations for conduit fill - and with 3/4 EMT I don't have room for four 10AWG PVwire + a 10AWG THWN-2 for ground.
        So, I've had to revise my plan of just running PVWire all the way back to the inverter.

The good news is in another spot I can use the "nipple" rule for 24" or shorter conduit sections - which lets me fit four 6AWG THWN-2 + 3 12AWG into a 3/4" PVC. The 6 gauge is for the inverter, the 12 gauge is for an outlet box.

Another thing I learned (and should have thought of beforehand) is that where the conduit penetrates the roof - it can't be right where you have a foot and flashing for the rail. Fortunately didn't damage the flashing (at least not enough that it's visible from the top)
        So didn't have to replace that.

I am working on running all the wires now - and probably will be able to start putting in place the optimizers and panels this weekend.

Anyone have a good suggestion for keeping track of wires so I can remember which is which... Probably going to use pieces of tape and a marker unless I hear a better suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

Anyone have a good suggestion for keeping track of wires so I can remember which is which... Probably going to use pieces of tape and a marker unless I hear a better suggestion.
          Colored electrical tape at ends and perhaps some intermediate boxes works. For fancier
          custom labels I make on line bumper stickers and cut them up. Bruce Roe

Comment

Been making progress.

I checked calculations for conduit fill - and with 3/4 EMT I don't have room for four 10AWG PVwire + a 10AWG THWN-2 for ground.
            So, I've had to revise my plan of just running PVWire all the way back to the inverter.

Are you using 600V PV wire? I calculate for that Southwire diameter of 0.231", area=0.0419 sq". If you use a bare ground (area=0.011) then the total is 0.1786, which is below the 0.213 allowed for 3/4" EMT fill. I like this calculator http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...alculator.html but it does not have PV wire.

I prefer using colored wire. Cost a little more since you will have more excess, but looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by JFinch57 View Post
              Are you using 600V PV wire?
              This is the wire I'm using: http://www.titanwnc.com/wp-content/uploads/PV-Wire.pdf
              Diameter .270"; area = 0.0573 sq. in.
              So 4 in a 3/4 EMT is not OK.

Comment

Failed the final inspection

Had my inspection today.

Inspector wants labels on the conduit, and a support block under a conduit that's going across a ~3' section of roof then up a wall.
                Hopefully when he (or a coworker of his) comes back there won't be anything else they notice.

My next inspection is Wed.

I think I annoyed him a little because I didn't have my permit and plans handy - had to go searching for it for a while.
                I think the conduit labels aren't technically needed per code since they're all external conduits and it's a solaredge system.
                The conduit strapping/support is something that I didn't do up to code.
                Fixing both is easy enough though.

Comment

Had my inspection today.

Inspector wants labels on the conduit, and a support block under a conduit that's going across a ~3' section of roof then up a wall.
                  Hopefully when he (or a coworker of his) comes back there won't be anything else they notice.

I think I annoyed him a little because I didn't have my permit and plans handy - had to go searching for it for a while.
                  I think the conduit labels aren't technically needed per code since they're all external conduits and it's a solaredge system.
                  One corollary to the inspector is always right: Piss the inspector off too much and you won't have anything right.

Comment

Had my inspection today.

I hope the re-inspection goes well for you.

I hate to say it but sometimes sucking up to the inspector makes things go a little easier. But then again you can't make everyone happy.

Comment

Realized i never updated this thread.
                      My re-inspection went fine.

I was just looking at the panels the other day, and I see a few wires now have loops hanging down that they touch the roof - probably they looked good before, but with time things sagged.

Now that everything is done, I need to add up all of the receipts and see just how much I spent...

Comment

Any pictures?

Comment

Costs for my system

$16600 solar items from renvu (panels, rails, feet, PV wire, etc. etc)
                          $1000 various materials from HD/Lowes/etc. (wire, bolts, roof sealant, etc. etc etc)
                          $500 tools (MC4 crimper @$300; sawblades, drill bits, pliers, clamps, shingle ripper, trowel, solder gun, conduit reamer)
                          $400 city permit
                          $100 for plumbing supplies to re-route pool hot-water
                          $300 stucco repair
                          $1500 materials, backhoe rental, etc. for service upgrade

Total: $20400

31 panels@ 280W = 8680W
                          ==> ~$2.35/W

Not the lowest for a DIY job.
                          But not terrible since I have more expensive panels, more expensive inverter/optimizer setup (solarege) and some expenses most other people wouldn't like stucco repair and a service upgrade.

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks for such detail. I'm actually writing a blog right now on this exact topic, and I was estimating $2 per watt for DIY. Taking out the stucco and pool heating, you've got $2.30 a watt. I think I underestimated the non-solar equipment costs, which quite frankly, I think everyone does. I will adjust my blog.
                            Solar Queen
                            altE Store

Comment

$16600 solar items from renvu (panels, rails, feet, PV wire, etc. etc)
                              $1000 various materials from HD/Lowes/etc. (wire, bolts, roof sealant, etc. etc etc)
                              $500 tools (MC4 crimper @$300; sawblades, drill bits, pliers, clamps, shingle ripper, trowel, solder gun, conduit reamer)
                              $400 city permit
                              $100 for plumbing supplies to re-route pool hot-water
                              $300 stucco repair
                              $1500 materials, backhoe rental, etc. for service upgrade

Total: $20400
                              31 panels@ 280W = 8680W
                              ==> ~$2.35/W
                              Good list; of course each one will be different. What sort of labels did you and the
                              inspector settle on? Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
                                That's really helpful, thanks for such detail. I'm actually writing a blog right now on this exact topic, and I was estimating $2 per watt for DIY. Taking out the stucco and pool heating, you've got $2.30 a watt. I think I underestimated the non-solar equipment costs, which quite frankly, I think everyone does. I will adjust my blog.
                                The $1500 for upgrading the electrical panel and electrical service wires also is something that most people wouldn't have.
                                (Usually even I would have hired that out and it would have been a lot more - Dealing with service entrance wiring makes me a little nervous because there is no fuse/breaker.)

I think under $2/W is quite doable if doing DIY
                                I have shade issues, so went with Solaredge.
                                I have 5 different sections on the roof for my 31 panels - so more expenses in feet/attachments and conduit/conduit fittings.
                                And I did wind up with some extra items from Lowe's/HD/etc - if I had been a little better at returning unused things and not buying stuff that I eventually didn't use, I probably could have saved $200 in that section. (But would have spent $20 more in gas going to the stores and taken longer to get running)

Bruce:
                                I put labels ("Danger: Photovoltaic power source"; White lettering on red) on all the vertical sections of conduit and the conduit running under the eaves. I didn't put one on the 3' sections going from the panels to the 2nd floor walls (then up the walls). The inspector pointed it out - then said "You know what, anyone up there should be able to figure out that the conduit coming from the array is solar wiring."
                                I of course had all the labels by the inverter and breaker panel - those I had in place for the first inspection.

Comment

Working...
                                X