A simple battery checker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple battery checker

Following a discussion about internal resistance, I find myself checking my batteries quite often, thus, made up a simple checker.
    It's nothing more than a digital Voltmeter, an old Ammeter, momentary switch and terminal posts.
    off.jpgon.jpg
    The bulb is rated at 12V 50W, but I suppose I could parallel two for a harsher test.
    I also found engaging the switch several times before taking a final reading puts more strain on the battery, giving a better reading.
    Dem

Originally posted by FunGas View Post
    Following a discussion about internal resistance, I find myself checking my batteries quite often, thus, made up a simple checker.
    It's nothing more than a digital Voltmeter, an old Ammeter, momentary switch and terminal posts.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5513[/ATTACH]
    The bulb is rated at 12V 50W, but I suppose I could parallel two for a harsher test.
    I also found engaging the switch several times before taking a final reading puts more strain on the battery, giving a better reading.
    Give you a tip I learned from a drunk RC pilot. Get an old blow dryer, take it apart and rewire it to use as a load on for your batteries. They usually have 2 to 4 sections for different wattages. Use an ohmmeter to figure out the resistances. Some RC pilots use them to discharge their LiPo batteries.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      blow dryer
      You mean the heater coils?

There are some low resistance wirewounds somewhere in the workshop, the 6" variety, failing that I have boxes of surplus, out of tolerance, carbons.
      I've used model car / 12V drill motors with a huge fan before for draining batteries, works well, but they takes up a lot of workbench.

Come to think of it, there's a brand new 100W Peltier somewhere, doing nothing too. Time for some more experiments...
      Dem

Comment

Yes sorry the heater coils.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X