X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Amy@altE
    STOP! Buying the wrong thing because it is cheap is throwing away money and dangerous. STOP! Call a professional, explain what you are trying to do, which keeps changing with every post, and buy the right equipment. You will pay less for the right equipment than you waste with the wrong stuff.
    Agreed 100% - Plus he might not destroy equipment nor kill anyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Living Large
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by russ
      Agreed 100% - Plus he might not destroy equipment nor kill anyone.
      You know, if you dropped a really large automotive type battery on someone, it might just do that. 10 of them - much better chance.

Comment

• hollywoodtoday
        • Jan 2015

great ideas, but frustrating for sure

Ya there are too many people inputting their ideas, like our neighbor and everybody.

As of now we wont be returning anything, nobody wants to admit their wrong lol. So in the end, well be using all these 12 guage wires. Its gotten worse tho. Each pole has 12 panels, since well be running two panels in series means well need 12 individual 12 gauge wires per pole. Of course it doesnt look like thats going to be enough so were going to double it and have 24 wires all going to one pole aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa. Talk about craziness.

Since the 2k ft of 12 gauge was purchased online, wed have to return it, and nobody wants to do that, but I may insist that we just get a large 2/0 instead of all these 24 wires. Do you think I should insist on a cable instead? Seems like such a pain with 24 plus he didnt buy enough. Have to go to home depot for more.

1. Would the 2/0 copper be good enough for the 1 pole with a 130ft loop with the 12x280w/48v?
        2. Would the 1/0 copper be good enough for the 1 pole with a 80ft loop with the 12x280w/48v?

3. As for the batteries, are they even necessary?

Ill be buying timers for all the grass, this way maybe we can keep everything running during the day and not at night, hopefully the panels will be able to handle the motor loads during the day.

ya its frustrating

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Ok, I'm done. Lost cause here.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Living Large
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by sensij
            Ok, I'm done. Lost cause here.
            Looking back, you gave it a darned good try.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Living Large
              Looking back, you gave it a darned good try.
              Does the statement "has no clue" mean anything. I just hope he doesn't get hurt or hurt anyone.

Comment

• Living Large
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by hollywoodtoday
                Ya there are too many people inputting their ideas, like our neighbor and everybody.

As of now we wont be returning anything, nobody wants to admit their wrong lol. So in the end, well be using all these 12 guage wires. Its gotten worse tho. Each pole has 12 panels, since well be running two panels in series means well need 12 individual 12 gauge wires per pole. Of course it doesnt look like thats going to be enough so were going to double it and have 24 wires all going to one pole aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa. Talk about craziness.

Since the 2k ft of 12 gauge was purchased online, wed have to return it, and nobody wants to do that, but I may insist that we just get a large 2/0 instead of all these 24 wires. Do you think I should insist on a cable instead? Seems like such a pain with 24 plus he didnt buy enough. Have to go to home depot for more.

1. Would the 2/0 copper be good enough for the 1 pole with a 130ft loop with the 12x280w/48v?
                2. Would the 1/0 copper be good enough for the 1 pole with a 80ft loop with the 12x280w/48v?

3. As for the batteries, are they even necessary?

Ill be buying timers for all the grass, this way maybe we can keep everything running during the day and not at night, hopefully the panels will be able to handle the motor loads during the day.

ya its frustrating
                Sir, as someone who recently came to this site looking for assistance in designing a solar power source for a house, I have the following observation. In my case, I came in the door with about 5% of the information I needed. It took the responding members here and I several interchanges before I was able to grasp what the whole system would look like and how it would operate. Along the way, I did some research on my own in an attempt to get a global picture - but I did pester some folks here with questions on specific topics I didn't quickly understand.

The problem I see with your visit here is the target of what you want from the system is still moving, but you (and/or others) have already bought wire and equipment. You are asking about wire size, and, set aside the fact it has already been purchased, I don't believe there is a consensus about what the top level function will be. What loads and their Wh will be operated at night? At day? Is grid available?

I am seeing frustration and a realization in those who can offer advice in that after a whole lot of work, what they will end up doing is largely responding to requests to put BandAids on - to make up for being constrained by random "design" decisions that have locked you and them on a certain path. What they know is that path could be a dead end, if you haven't assessed your requirements first.

I think it is unlikely that anyone will be able to help, unless you are willing to start from scratch. The position you are putting people in is like going to have your car repaired, and supplying parts that were not designed to fit your car and asking them to make the car work using them.

Comment

• Amy@altE
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2014

Amen
                  Solar Queen
                  altE Store

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

To reiterate - Some folks you just can't reach.

Comment

• thastinger
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2012

been here a while now, don't recall seeing anything like this yet. You're afraid to even post in here for fear of a wrongful death action and it would probably be wise not to post, since the OP obviously has no intention of following any of the advice given.
                      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• hollywoodtoday
                        • Jan 2015

Hey guys, back again with a couple questions (:

Thanks for the thoughtful ideas, specially the ones above lol, and yes things are coming along great.

So heres my system to update you: 24x280w panels, 4 tied in series to provide 96 volts. Since I have 2 poles, Ill have 12 panels on one pole and 12 on another. We ended up running 8 12guage automotive wire for each 4 panel setup, 4 pos and 4 neg.

Anyway, I've bought 2 80/80 outback controllers and now am looking for you thoughts on 2 things:

1. Before I bring the solar lines into the controller I was thinking of running them first through 2 of these 60a ac disconnects for the dc power coming in which is about 25ADC/96v. Do you think its too tiny to get 24 wire into lol? Do you have another cheap suggestion?

2. Id like to also grab a transfer switch that would transfer power either from edison or the inverter, to the main panel. Something like this--> http://prntscr.com/5ximiq . So Ive been looking and found this 60a transfer switch --> http://www.altestore.com/store/Enclo...FYZbfgodx18A9g Do you think it would work for this situation since I dont need anymore than 60a anyway.

3. Also, if you had a suggestion on a nicely priced automatic transfer switch around 60a, that would be amazing. At night, I have a feeling our 8 batteries arent enough and we'll lose pressure for the sprinklers and it would be nice if it just auto switched over to edison when there wasnt enough juice. suggestions on a 60a auto transfer switch?

You guys have been very helpful, thank you (:

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by hollywoodtoday
                          Thanks for the thoughtful ideas, specially the ones above lol, and yes things are coming along great.

So heres my system to update you: 24x280w panels, 4 tied in series to provide 96 volts. Since I have 2 poles, Ill have 12 panels on one pole and 12 on another. We ended up running 8 12guage automotive wire for each 4 panel setup, 4 pos and 4 neg.

Anyway, I've bought 2 80/80 outback controllers and now am looking for you thoughts on 2 things:

1. Before I bring the solar lines into the controller I was thinking of running them first through 2 of these 60a ac disconnects for the dc power coming in which is about 25ADC/96v. Do you think its too tiny to get 24 wire into lol? Do you have another cheap suggestion?

2. Id like to also grab a transfer switch that would transfer power either from edison or the inverter, to the main panel. Something like this--> http://prntscr.com/5ximiq . So Ive been looking and found this 60a transfer switch --> http://www.altestore.com/store/Enclo...FYZbfgodx18A9g Do you think it would work for this situation since I dont need anymore than 60a anyway.

3. Also, if you had a suggestion on a nicely priced automatic transfer switch around 60a, that would be amazing. At night, I have a feeling our 8 batteries arent enough and we'll lose pressure for the sprinklers and it would be nice if it just auto switched over to edison when there wasnt enough juice. suggestions on a 60a auto transfer switch?

You guys have been very helpful, thank you (:
                          I would ask why you are considering an AC disconnect for a DC application.

If you do use this item, you should be able to find a way to attach four 12AWG wires, since it handles wire up to 3AWG. The only question is how you choose to terminate them.

Comment

• hollywoodtoday
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Living Large
                            I would ask why you are considering an AC disconnect for a DC application.

If you do use this item, you should be able to find a way to attach four 12AWG wires, since it handles wire up to 3AWG. The only question is how you choose to terminate them.
                            I thought of using the air conditioning ac disconnect because its easy to get at home depot, is very cheap and will do as good of job as an expensive throw switch. Using it for dc instead of ac is the only thing I dont know, but not too worried as long as it conducts lol.

And yes, Id have to grab 4 copper clamps to get them into the lugs. Of course, even then, im gonna have a hard time getting 24 wires into that little 9x5 disconnect lol, depends on how cheap I am I suppose.

Anybody have any thoughts on my questions of #2 and #3 above?

Comment

• sensij
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2014

I think you must be a troll... willfully ignoring the sound and thoughtful advice you've gotten and posting just to see what responses you can get. No troll food from me.
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Need to close this thread.

I will ask the Admins to please close this thread. What the OP is doing is dangerous and will end up getting him or someone else hurt.

Comment

Working...