X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mj52
    • Dec 2014

4 - 6V in series = 24V

Hi,

4 - 6V in series = 24V. Could I, without altering this battery, draw different voltages by simply hooking up to different lugs?

6V, 12V, 18V and 24V. Could I draw 2 different voltages at same time?

Thanks, mj52
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

You can but would destroy the batteries. That is why they make converters.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by mj52
      Hi,

4 - 6V in series = 24V. Could I, without altering this battery, draw different voltages by simply hooking up to different lugs?

6V, 12V, 18V and 24V. Could I draw 2 different voltages at same time?

Thanks, mj52
      To expand a bit on Dereck's advice: If you tap part way down the stack you will draw current from just some of the batteries. But when you recharge the same amount of current goes back into all of the batteries. Does that make the problem clearer?
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• mj52
        • Dec 2014

Thanks for the replies,

I wake myself up thinking about stuff and last night it was this.

I have these 4 6V fully charged and only need 12V. So I could drop 2 cells and have 12V to use as I see fit and as long as I don't abuse these 2 working cells they should be able to do this many times. This would also leave me a spare 2 cell 12V battery. It seems a better idea than converting 24V to 12V.

When I could recharge these batteries could I recharge just the 1 12V and once capped off rewire to the 24V string?

Could I wire the 2 12V in parallel with the low 12V drawing more amps?

I'm sure this is batteries 101 but it is where I am.

Thanks, mj52

Comment

• thastinger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2012

What is your recharging setup for the batteries?

Your real question is how to configure 4 6V batteries for a 12VDC input inverter?
          1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• mj52
            • Dec 2014

I don't have any solar capabilities whatsoever. The only thing I have is lots of questions.

Since I joined this site we've had about three good solid days of sunshine, today being the third.

For right now I'm just thinking lights, a radio and a 12V fan, small things that would make the nights more pleasant.

I have a red 3kw generator to power the big items and as these items are emptied they would no longer be used but I think gas will get pretty expensive pretty quickly so that will be a premium asset only to be used when needed.

Do I need specific lighting fixtures for LED lighting or could I reuse the table lamps we now have? And then how do I ffed them from the battery?

Think about an emergency situation and how to adapt to the conditions you're facing, this is where my questions are leading.

Thanks, mj52

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

I don't have any solar capabilities whatsoever. The only thing I have is lots of questions.

Since I joined this site we've had about three good solid days of sunshine, today being the third.

For right now I'm just thinking lights, a radio and a 12V fan, small things that would make the nights more pleasant.

I have a red 3kw generator to power the big items and as these items are emptied they would no longer be used but I think gas will get pretty expensive pretty quickly so that will be a premium asset only to be used when needed.

Do I need specific lighting fixtures for LED lighting or could I reuse the table lamps we now have? And then how do I ffed them from the battery?

Think about an emergency situation and how to adapt to the conditions you're facing, this is where my questions are leading.

Thanks, mj52
              Once you build a solar battery system everything has to be balanced so they can be properly charged and discharged. To charge at 24volts and then use at 12volts will get you in trouble because the batteries will become unbalanced after a few uses and likely have an early death. It is also better to use a higher battery voltage because it reduces the required wire size and will generate more daily watt hours.

Once you have this 24 volt battery system balanced and happy it is better to use a 24VDC to 12VDC converter to power that 12 volt fan or any 12 volt lighting that you might have. Or you can use a pure sine wave 24VDC to 120VAC inverter for your loads like that existing table lamp which you can upgrade with LED and help reduce your watt hour usage. The last thing you want to do is breaking up your 24volt battery system into 12volt systems which will only hurt them.

As for an emergency situation, get some flashlights and a small generator to complement that 3kw one. That will cost a lot less than solar panels, batteries, and converters.

Comment

• paulcheung
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Why don't you wire the battery 12 volts if you want to use 12 volts appliances? I am assume these batteries are 6volts 225 amp hours?

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Although four batteries in series will be easier to maintain than four batteries in series-parallel, the fact that you have only 12V loads forces the latter choice on you.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• thastinger
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2012

Thanks, mj52
                    I see where you're coming from now. I don't know what your budget is but my suggestion is to first figure out exactly what you desire to power in the emergency situation. If you don't have a "Kill-a-Watt" meter then buy one. Don't forget to include things like battery chargers, radios/chargers, flashlight chargers etc. A PSW inverter will run your present CFLs or any other light just fine.
                    If your loads dictate you need a 24V system then I'd build it with 4 6V batteries in series but I'd also buy a 12V inverter so that if you lost a battery during the emergency period, you could reconfigure to 12V and still have a backup battery (not in the system). Good equipment isn't cheap but it saves you money in the long run.
                    Dig around on here a bit, helpful articles, write ups and people to help you out.
                    You can convert an 11CuFt chest freezer to act as a fridge for an emergency (or use it all the time if you wish). I did this to keep my beer cold while I was away from the vacation place, it only uses .5kWh a day when set to 34 degrees.
                    Buy a multivolt charger (6/12/24/48V) to use with that red gen, you'll have to have it anyway to EQ the battery bank.

Comment

• mj52
                      • Dec 2014

Hi,

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

along with a simple cost comparison

This is all just thinking out loud. How things could be done kinda stuff

Thank, mj52

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Hi,

Thank, mj52
                        There are all kinds of LED lamps that can replace your older incandescent or fluorescent lamps.

I replaced about 98% of my 120v house lights to LED over the last 5 years and will continue to do so as the compact fluorescent ones burn out a new LED goes in. I even replaced 24 of the little 10watt 12v lamps in my RV to 2 watt LED.

Doing that will reduce your "watt hour" load by at least 60%. That will save money on my electric bill or in the case of my RV, battery power. I am not sure how that helps you determine what voltage your battery system should be.

Comment

• thastinger
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Oct 2012

Hi,

Thank, mj52
                          Well, I'd say that chap failed miserably at his attempt to make one "simple and cheap". That reminds me of military requirements creep in program development.
                          12V LEDs to go in RVs are cheap, about a buck a piece and none of that other crap needed.http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-12V-Pan...81b367&vxp=mtr

if you want a cover and a socket for it those can be found in the rv or car dome light searches.

Comment

• mj52
                            • Dec 2014

Thank You,

I ask an uninformed question and someone, very nicely, says nonononon and offers a better suggestion.

Now we're cooking.

Thanks, mj52

Comment

• thastinger
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2012

Thank You,

I ask an uninformed question and someone, very nicely, says nonononon and offers a better suggestion.

Now we're cooking.

Thanks, mj52
                              Everyone starts somewhere, the important thing is to stick around and help the next new guy.

I'm still not clear on what your goals are though, you seem to have bounced around over a few different topics in this thread.

Comment

Working...