X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimindenver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by antobag
    I'm planning to run my battery down by only 30% D.O.D each day, and by 50% max. I'll shut it off if it gets near this amount. Would leaving it at around 40% D.O.D for more than two days cause a lot of long-term damage? Definitely don't want to be running them flat and buying new ones!
    Your batteries should be discharging, recharging or resting at full charge. Leaving them sit partially charged is damaging.

The time to light the candle and cut back on the puter time is when the clouds roll in and you still have battery power to conserve. Not run at full speed till there is nothing left.

In our trailer the big loads can drain the bank in short order with out the solar assist. So when the clouds roll in the big inverter goes off. The TV is limited to a few hours a day IF there is something to watch. Doing so means the banks will last a week if they had to, not that I would allow it.

One way or another you need a back up means of charging be that a generator, your trucks alternator or for us the last resort is turning the truck around and using jumper cables.

Comment

• antobag
      • Dec 2014

Thank you everyone!

Just to let you all know, I've returned from the Welsh mountain hut in which I was using the 200W solar panels discussed above. I was there for 40 days and 40 nights in the end (an unintentionally precise amount of time), and the solar system that I constructed using all of your help and knowledge was absolutely fantastic. The weather ranged from thick mist to clear blue skies, from heavy snowstorms to bright sunshine, and the panels performed brilliantly throughout - I powered my laptop, phone, lights, music equipment, etc and never let the battery drop below 50% charge (most of the time it stayed above 70%). There were admittedly some days where I had to leave the battery alone to charge, but these were few and far between.

I just wanted to let you know that the vast knowledge and experience you all shared with me is very much appreciated. I came to this forum knowing almost nothing about solar power and managed to set up and use a safe and efficient off-grid system that performed really well - even in winter in the notoriously-overcast country that is Wales.

To everyone who helped me in this thread and in others, thank you. I don't know what I would have done without you guys

Comment

• LETitROLL
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2014

Just to let you all know, I've returned from the Welsh mountain hut in which I was using the 200W solar panels discussed above. I was there for 40 days and 40 nights in the end (an unintentionally precise amount of time), and the solar system that I constructed using all of your help and knowledge was absolutely fantastic. The weather ranged from thick mist to clear blue skies, from heavy snowstorms to bright sunshine, and the panels performed brilliantly throughout - I powered my laptop, phone, lights, music equipment, etc and never let the battery drop below 50% charge (most of the time it stayed above 70%). There were admittedly some days where I had to leave the battery alone to charge, but these were few and far between.

I just wanted to let you know that the vast knowledge and experience you all shared with me is very much appreciated. I came to this forum knowing almost nothing about solar power and managed to set up and use a safe and efficient off-grid system that performed really well - even in winter in the notoriously-overcast country that is Wales.

To everyone who helped me in this thread and in others, thank you. I don't know what I would have done without you guys
        So that was accomplished with (1) of the 200w Poly panels and the entry level Mppt controller?
        thanks

Comment

• Bucho
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2013

Just to let you all know, I've returned from the Welsh mountain hut in which I was using the 200W solar panels discussed above. I was there for 40 days and 40 nights in the end (an unintentionally precise amount of time), and the solar system that I constructed using all of your help and knowledge was absolutely fantastic.
          I'm glad to hear that things went well, I was worried about how well a new solar setup would hold up to Wales in the winter.

Comment

• antobag
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LETitROLL
            So that was accomplished with (1) of the 200w Poly panels and the entry level Mppt controller?
            thanks
            Yes, it was actually 2 x 100W poly panels (connected in parallel) alongside the entry-level "Eco-worthy" MPPT controller.

Originally posted by Bucho
            I'm glad to hear that things went well, I was worried about how well a new solar setup would hold up to Wales in the winter.
            Thanks Bucho. The person who owns the hut was so impressed they actually want to buy the panels off me!

Comment

Working...