BBI batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBI batteries

I have two BBI 12 volt batteries. Battery Type 06-085-11-680 AHL B 425 amp hour capacity Has anyone used these batteries or know anything about them? I believe they were to be used in a Raymond brand fork truck. These batteries are brand new. I also have a 30 amp charge controller and a 2500 watt inverter. I'm planning on buying a couple of 240-250 watt panels. Will this be enough to power a 24" led flat panel tv and a couple of 12 volt led RV lights for 3-4 hours a day in a 12x16 cabin used mostly on weekends?

You have a couple of compatibility issues in equipment.

First I assume you intend to operate at 12 volts since you mentioned an RV? In parallel would give you 12 volts at 950 AH. Assuming the controller you mention is MPPT at 30 amps operating on a 12 volt battery limits your maximum panel wattage to 350 watts. So 500 watt panel swill not work unless you make it a 24 volt battery in which case you could go up to 700 watt input.

Next issue a 12 volt 950 AH battery really needs a minimum 1000 watt panel and 80 amp MPPT controller, ideally 1250 watts using a 80 amp controller capable of 96 amps on a 12 volt battery.

Next the batteries being Fork Lift batteries can easily power a 2500 watt inverter, but is huge overkill to just run a TV and a few LED lights. Being a 12 volt inverter I suspect is a cheap MSW inverter which will likely not play well with a TV. Not only that like to use quite a bit of power sitting there doing nothing.

Here is what I suggest. 500 watts of panels, 40 amp MPPT controller, just 1 of your batteries, and a 500 watt True Sine Wave Inverter. That is a perfectly matched system and still more than enough to do what you want. Sell the extra battery should just about pay for everything else.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the reply Sunking. Yes it will be a 12 volt system. The controller is a Sunforce from one of the cheap harbor Freight 45 watt kits. The inverter is an Accurate Tools (Semi-Pure Sine Wave). We used those and a 1000 watt cca truck battery (dont know what the amp hours were) and was able to watch a 32" tv/dvd combo for a couple of hours each sat/sun for close to a year before the battery gave out. The TV/DVD player worked fine. Wouldnt the combined AH of the batteries be 850? Sorry about all the questions but its the only way I know to learn. If I was to keep both batteries, get an 80 amp MPPT controller and 1000 Watts of panels would I be able to add a small dorm type fridge? Is the inverter junk and should be replaced with a True Sine Wave Inverter? So in all it would be the tv for 2-3 hrs a night for 2-3 nights a weekend, a couple of rv led cabin lights (not used much, mostly candles and lanterns), a small dorm type fridge (unknown power uasage on that) and maybe a laptop plugged in a couple of hours 3-4 times a week. We also have a couple of Kohler rv generators that we use for power tools when needed that could be used for backup if needed. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bgblok68 View Post
        The controller is a Sunforce from one of the cheap harbor Freight 45 watt kits.
        Sorry about that as it is not even worth the box it came in. You are going to need an upgrade of either 40 or 80 amps depending on panel wattage and battery voltage. Assuming 12 volt battery 500 watts with 40 amp MPPT, 1000 watts with 80 amp MPPT.

The inverter is an Accurate Tools (Semi-Pure Sine Wave). We used those and a 1000 watt cca truck battery (dont know what the amp hours were) and was able to watch a 32" tv/dvd combo for a couple of hours each sat/sun for close to a year before the battery gave out. The TV/DVD player worked fine.
        What is the wattage of the Inverter? Might have issues with fridge.

Wouldn't the combined AH of the batteries be 850? Sorry about all the questions but its the only way I know to learn.
        You are correct, a typo on my part. Fat Fingers.

If I was to keep both batteries, get an 80 amp MPPT controller and 1000 Watts of panels would I be able to add a small dorm type fridge? Is the inverter junk and should be replaced with a True Sine Wave Inverter? So in all it would be the tv for 2-3 hrs a night for 2-3 nights a weekend, a couple of rv led cabin lights (not used much, mostly candles and lanterns), a small dorm type fridge (unknown power uasage on that) and maybe a laptop plugged in a couple of hours 3-4 times a week. We also have a couple of Kohler rv generators that we use for power tools when needed that could be used for backup if needed. Thanks
        Here is what I do know for certain. With a 500 watt panel and 40 amp MPPT controller you can run everything you want except for the fridge. That I am certain of.

Problem is the Dorm Room fridge as most of them are very inefficient and I cannot tell you even with 1000 watt panel and 80 amp controller would work or not.

Here are the challenges:

You Rv guys are not known to park in Full Sun and roast. By full Sun I mean from sun up to sun down with no shade and panels tilted up facing solar south.

Each of those batteries will require a 400 watt with 40 amp MPPT controller. Good industrial battery but a bit large for RV.

Here is what I would do if it were me. Run 500 watts of panel power with 40 amp controller and a TSW Inverter sized to run your loads including fridge.. Buy a good 40 amp Ac powered battery charger and use it with the genny when and if the battery gets low. You could even add the second battery but recharge will be SLOW. Lastly shop around for the most efficient fridge you can afford.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks a lot. The inverter is a 2500 watt/5000watt surge. This is in a 12x16 cabin with a shade tree but the panels will get full sun from sun up till sun down as long as its shining. The brackets will be made so that they can be adjusted manually as needed to get the most from them. I've got access to rv stuff from time to time at a couple of scrapyards that is real cheap. I dont have to have a fridge. I just thought if there was xtra power then maybe get one. If the local Amish can make it without one I'm sure I can. I've made it over 50 years without AC. That stuff is hard on a guy when you work construction in 90-100 degree temps. One good thing about the hills here in central Ky theres usually always a breeze blowing. Once again Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X