Clear All
  • johnkam
    • Dec 2014

Battery voltage higher then over voltage disconect problem

Hello,

I just installed an of grid system with this :

4 X luxor 245p 24v panels, 8Ahm

2 X Ultracell 200Ah 12V batteries

1 Mppt charger EPSOLAR 4215 (150V, 40Ah)

1 Inverter Victron 2000VA Phoenix

The salesman told me to connect the panels 2-serial, 2-serial and after that parallel (serial and parallel connection).
    The 2 batteries are connected serial so i have 24V - 200Ah

Anyway i did that with help from a professional but i get this error when i connect the PV cables to charger

"Battery voltage higher then over voltage disconect"

Basically i get the two leds of the charger blinking GREEN. The pv led is supposed to green-blink but the green-blink in BAT let according to manual its a problem.

If you know anything about this problem please help me...

Thanks

John
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Get a volt meter and measure the battery voltage - make sure it's what you think it should be.

Disconnect the controller inputs and outputs, wait 30 seconds, then connect the battery first, let the controller boot up, then connect the PV to the controller. Often the manual does not cover the power up sequence well.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• johnkam
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
      Get a volt meter and measure the battery voltage - make sure it's what you think it should be.

Disconnect the controller inputs and outputs, wait 30 seconds, then connect the battery first, let the controller boot up, then connect the PV to the controller. Often the manual does not cover the power up sequence well.
      Thamks for your answer Mike... I'll do that when i go to villsge again. Anyway you think it may be anything wrong with the overall set-up? I mean especially the series-parallel connecion. Is it OK or i have to switch to all parallel?

And most imprtant... Write now i disconnected the PV cables but i left the baterry cables ON (the BAT led was GREEN steady=normal).Is it any danger wright now (fire etc)? The inverter if OFF (but connectef to battery)

Thanks

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Having not seen your setup, I can't ascertain what shape it is in.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• johnkam
          • Dec 2014

Having not seen your setup, I can't ascertain what shape it is in.

Hello Mike,

The setup is like this

PANELS

+ 1 -+ 2 -

+ 3 -+ 4 -
          +..........-
          +.........-
          +.........-

1-series-2

3-series-4

And after that all parallel

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Ok, so you have built an array of 24V panels into about a 50V nominal array. That's going to be close to 70 or 80V open circuit on a cool sunny morning before the charge controller wakes up. Is that voltage within your controller specs ?

Do you have 4 panels or more ?

4, 245V panels gives 980w and about 40A at 24V. You are AT the power limit of that controller. Long term running at the limit, will eventually break it. ( a car speedometer goes to 120mph but driving that fast will break the car rapidly )

Is the controller programmed for 24v battery system, or does it ship with 12V programming ? read the manual, set the switches or however you program it for 24V

Comment

• johnkam
              • Dec 2014

Ok, so you have built an array of 24V panels into about a 50V nominal array. That's going to be close to 70 or 80V open circuit on a cool sunny morning before the charge controller wakes up. Is that voltage within your controller specs ?

Do you have 4 panels or more ?

4, 245V panels gives 980w and about 40A at 24V. You are AT the power limit of that controller. Long term running at the limit, will eventually break it. ( a car speedometer goes to 120mph but driving that fast will break the car rapidly )

Is the controller programmed for 24v battery system, or does it ship with 12V programming ? read the manual, set the switches or however you program it for 24V

I have 4 panels. I think that the array produces 60V (2 at series) and 16A (2 series at parallel). Each panel produces 30.8V and 8.06A at 25 degrees Celcius according to manufacturer. The controller is has automatic recognition of voltage (12/24). The controller voltage is 150V max.

Comment

Working...