• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CA_Tom
    Well, here you go:

It certainly isn't a mature technology, but there are successful ones running. I was suprised to see one running since 1966...
    I stand partially corrected - semantics actually

The ones I saw are basically dams that use tidal flow to refill the reservoir. Same as placing them on a river but different refiling.

Not the same thing as the newer attempts at using the ocean currents or tides.
    Running since 1966 - Dams have been used to get water through turbines far longer than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Tide power

It works well with a 26' tide. They claim its cheaper power than Nuke. The Russians
      seem to have a HUGE potential available, if its ever built.

I believe the tides work with the rotation of the earth, but the time changes with
      movement of the moon. It might be interesting to see just what the time curves
      look like, and hear if the rest of the grid could adopt to them more easily than
      other renewables. At least, it should be totally predictable.

What have the environmentalists got to say about this, chopping up fish, etc? Bruce Roe

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

I suppose the reservoir is supposed to even out the flow.

The greenies go wacko over stuff like this for sure.

A guy I worked with in India wanted to put a dam across the Gulf Of Cambay (west coast of Gujarat) for this purpose. A big problem there was the sediment the rivers carried into the gulf - mega tons per year.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CA_Tom
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by russ
          I stand partially corrected - semantics actually

The ones I saw are basically dams that use tidal flow to refill the reservoir. Same as placing them on a river but different refiling.

Not the same thing as the newer attempts at using the ocean currents or tides.
          Running since 1966 - Dams have been used to get water through turbines far longer than that.

Here's one that isn't like a dam and operating commercially.

And there's another where the power is generated on the *inflow* into the bay, so the "resevoir" would be the entire ocean.

So - the only reason for you not to have read of a successful run is because you just don't want to.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

And there's another where the power is generated on the *inflow* into the bay, so the "resevoir" would be the entire ocean.

So - the only reason for you not to have read of a successful run is because you just don't want to.
            Thanks for the links to the Tidal power generators. Looks like there have been a few successful installations. Too bad more have not been installed.

The problem I see with "Wave" power generators it the location of the equipment and how it is producing the electricity. The equipment must be made to withstand a lot more forces of nature on the surface because it is exposed to much more than just sea water. I think due to the combination of wind, water, salt, wave height, storms, etc. a wave power generator will be in a much harsher environment then something below the water line and not last as long or will require a higher level of maintenance.

I am still open to hearing and learning about using this type of technology. I just have not read about a "wave" power generator that is in actual use and producing commercial power.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

BS - peddle the green bull elsewhere! You seem to be like another of our members that would polish a turd if someone told them it was the green thing to do..

Seagen is a 1.2 mW turbine - wow! NOT! These days wind turbines are far larger. The wiki entry is by the company and if it is not more positive than what I saw it is dead!

It is a prototype and as they don't advertise anything new apparently less than a success. They have been working on this 20 years now and have this to show?

Anything you place in the tidal flow destroys the sea bed around it - going to be tough getting a site approved.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CA_Tom
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by russ
                BS - peddle the green bull elsewhere! You seem to be like another of our members that would polish a turd if someone told them it was the green thing to do..
                I'm not peddling anything.

I'm educating you since you were obviously unaware of these working systems.

Seagen is a 1.2 mW turbine - wow! NOT! These days wind turbines are far larger.
                And that wind turbines are larger isn't really relevant to whether it's a commercially running system, is it?

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

I'm not peddling anything.

I'm educating you since you were obviously unaware of these working systems.

And that wind turbines are larger isn't really relevant to whether it's a commercially running system, is it?
                  You are peddling green BS - Educate yourself - searching the wiki as "research" is a bit retarded actually. One of a kind 1.2 mW is commercial? No - if it were working there would be many. Working systems? Where?

Also sites are a bit of a problem - this monstrosity sits at the mouth of a large estuary.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Yes - I agree that you are wrong - You would possibly call the Ford Edsel a success?
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

The entire thing depends on whether you consider a a one off plant as a successful test of technology commercially.

It isn't. In industry there have been many plants built that are one of a kind - they were never replicated as they were commercial failures.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by bcroe
                        And lets not confuse waves with tides. Bruce Roe
                        So, further tide discussion will be off-topic. The topic is wave energy generators.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...